Coming this saturday on Semi-Homade: Asian Hot & Spicy

Ubiquitous

Guest
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_sh/episode/0,1976,FOOD_14521_38133,00.html

From the Food Network web site:

Asian Hot & Spicy

With Asian cuisine, the spice factor is guaranteed
and Sandra Lee knows the recipe for mouth-watering
flavor. So get your chop sticks ready for Wasabi
Crab on Green Onion Pancakes, Shrimp in Spicy Coconut
Sauce, Crispy Orange Beef, Shiitake Rice, and Grilled
Pineapple with Iced Coconut Cream

This is looks like another classic: the "green onion pancakes" are
actually tortias sprinkled with green onion (with tuna can holes
punched out, orange marmalade is used for the Orange Beef, and SLop
is re-freezing ice cream again.

How this relates to this week's "spicey foods" theme on this channel
is anyone's guess.

--
WARNING!!!
Use of these recipes may be hazardous to your health, food budget,

Ubiquitous said:

> This is looks like another classic: the "green onion pancakes"
> are actually tortias sprinkled with green onion (with tuna can
> holes punched out, orange marmalade is used for the Orange Beef,
> and SLop is re-freezing ice cream again.
>
> How this relates to this week's "spicey foods" theme on this
> channel is anyone's guess.

followups: alt.obsession.never.pretty

--
So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
have some sympathy, and some taste.

Ubiquitous wrote:
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_sh/episode/0,1976,FOOD_14521_38133,00.html
>
> From the Food Network web site:
>
> Asian Hot & Spicy
>
> With Asian cuisine, the spice factor is guaranteed
> and Sandra Lee knows the recipe for mouth-watering
> flavor. So get your chop sticks ready for Wasabi
> Crab on Green Onion Pancakes, Shrimp in Spicy Coconut
> Sauce, Crispy Orange Beef, Shiitake Rice, and Grilled
> Pineapple with Iced Coconut Cream
>
> This is looks like another classic: the "green onion pancakes" are
> actually tortias sprinkled with green onion (with tuna can holes
> punched out, orange marmalade is used for the Orange Beef, and SLop
> is re-freezing ice cream again.
>
> How this relates to this week's "spicey foods" theme on this channel
> is anyone's guess.

Using orange marmalade in orange beef is a good idea (unless that's all
she uses)

Who is this Sandra Lee anyway? I've never heard of her anywhere but in
this newsgroup. I quit watching Food Network a couple of years ago when
it morphed into Emeril TV.

Bob

"zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Who is this Sandra Lee anyway? I've never heard of her anywhere but in
> this newsgroup. I quit watching Food Network a couple of years ago when
> it morphed into Emeril TV.
>
> Bob

Oh, you've missed so much. Emeril TV became Tyler Florence TV which became
Bobby Flay TV which became Rachael Ray TV.

-rah

zxcvbob wrote:
> Who is this Sandra Lee anyway? I've never heard of her anywhere but in
> this newsgroup. I quit watching Food Network a couple of years ago when
> it morphed into Emeril TV.

It's Rachael Ray TV, now. While her image was still perky but smart and
tame, she is now loud and flighty, braying like Paula Deen, and appearing
everywhere. She has three shows at last count. That would have been
wonderful back when she was enjoyable to watch and listen to. Now she's
intolerably shrill.

<and talk about talks with the hands... oy!>

pennyaline wrote:
> It's Rachael Ray TV, now. While her image was still perky but smart and
> tame, she is now loud and flighty, braying like Paula Deen...

<snip>

What I meant was, I liked her while her image was still perky but smart and
tame!

"pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Who is this Sandra Lee anyway? I've never heard of her anywhere but in
>> this newsgroup. I quit watching Food Network a couple of years ago when
>> it morphed into Emeril TV.

> It's Rachael Ray TV, now. While her image was still perky but smart and
> tame, she is now loud and flighty, braying like Paula Deen, and appearing
> everywhere. She has three shows at last count. That would have been
> wonderful back when she was enjoyable to watch and listen to. Now she's
> intolerably shrill.
>
> <and talk about talks with the hands... oy!>

I used to watch Rachel -- now it's impossible for me to do so. I like the
program presentation; i.e., meals in 30 minutes, but she's gone over the top
for me in her giddiness and giggliness.
Dee Dee

Ubiquitous wrote on 8/13/2005:

> From the Food Network web site:
>
> Asian Hot & Spicy
>
> With Asian cuisine, the spice factor is guaranteed
> and Sandra Lee knows the recipe for mouth-watering
> flavor. So get your chop sticks ready for Wasabi
> Crab on Green Onion Pancakes, Shrimp in Spicy Coconut
> Sauce, Crispy Orange Beef, Shiitake Rice, and Grilled
> Pineapple with Iced Coconut Cream
>
> This is looks like another classic: the "green onion pancakes" are
> actually tortias sprinkled with green onion (with tuna can holes
> punched out, orange marmalade is used for the Orange Beef, and SLop
> is re-freezing ice cream again.
>
> How this relates to this week's "spicey foods" theme on this channel
> is anyone's guess.

<snip>

Looking forward to the commentary.

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:35:12 -0500, [email protected] (Ubiquitous)
wrote:

>http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_sh/episode/0,1976,FOOD_14521_38133,00.html
>
>From the Food Network web site:
>
> Asian Hot & Spicy
>
> With Asian cuisine, the spice factor is guaranteed
> and Sandra Lee knows the recipe for mouth-watering
> flavor. So get your chop sticks ready for Wasabi
> Crab on Green Onion Pancakes, Shrimp in Spicy Coconut
> Sauce, Crispy Orange Beef, Shiitake Rice, and Grilled
> Pineapple with Iced Coconut Cream
>
>This is looks like another classic: the "green onion pancakes" are
>actually tortias sprinkled with green onion (with tuna can holes
>punched out, orange marmalade is used for the Orange Beef, and SLop
>is re-freezing ice cream again.

First of all, ducky, it's "tortillas." Spelling. It's a fine thing.

Secondly, she recommended use of a regular biscuit cutter OR, if you
don't have one, use a tomato paste can.

>How this relates to this week's "spicey foods" theme on this channel
>is anyone's guess.

She used wasabi mayonnaise in the crab garnish of the green onion
pancakes. Wasabi is hot, toots. She also garnished the pancakes with
a dollop (a LARGE dollop) of wasabi paste. Sounds pretty spicy to me,
n'est ce pas snookums? The Orange Beef also had Thai chiles in it.
Spicy enough for you, dumpling?

Get a hobby! Read a book! Take the dog for a walk!! But stop
obsessing, it can't be good for you. Sweetcakes :)

TammyM

[email protected] wrote:
>Ubiquitous wrote on 8/13/2005:

>> This is looks like another classic: the "green onion pancakes" are
>> actually tortias sprinkled with green onion (with tuna can holes
>> punched out, orange marmalade is used for the Orange Beef, and SLop
>> is re-freezing ice cream again.

>Looking forward to the commentary.

Thanks! Let me see if I can whip one out before this afternoon's
repeat. The last half was just CRAZY.

--
WARNING!!!
Use of these recipes may be hazardous to your health, food budget,
standing in your community and liver function. Use at your own risk!! We
assume no liability from any illness or injury sustained while eating the
"food" or being exposed to crapass tablescapes. And no, we're not sure
where she grew up either. The Cordon Bleu disavows any knowlege of Miss
Lee.

zxcvbob wrote on 8/13/2005:

<snip>

> > How this relates to this week's "spicey foods" theme on this channel
> > is anyone's guess.
> >

> Using orange marmalade in orange beef is a good idea (unless that's all
> she uses)
>
> Who is this Sandra Lee anyway? I've never heard of her anywhere but in
> this newsgroup. I quit watching Food Network a couple of years ago when
> it morphed into Emeril TV.
>
> Bob

Oh Bob! You really ought to invest the half hour required for one
episode. If you do, slog through the whole 30 minutes, because you've
got to work through all the elements - the gauzy camera work, the
theme, the kitchen decor, the fungible appliances, the precious but
invisible nephews, nieces, neighbors, etc., the nifty shortcuts to A
list entertaining, the store bought angel food cakes, the Cool Whip,
the blurred (unless you've paid the product placement fee) labels, the
fake Rachel Ray chicken broth labels (never heard of Mary Magdalene
chicken broth?), the tutti frutti but impressively spiked cocktails and
don't forget the tablescape - not table setting - tablescape. I could
go on, but I'd be trespassing on Ubi's turf. By the way, I hear that
Rachel likes having Sandra as a colleague. Sort of gives Rachel that
Madame Curie cachet that all women secretly crave.

Barring that, take a peek at the Sandra spoof site, the short name for
which is "fansofsandra" or scroll through the (ironically) "not about
food" board on Chowhound. Shouldn't take long to find an extensive
Sandra thread despite the moderators' admonishment to refrain from
FoodTV bashing.

In short, the lady has assembled a rather impressive business empire
based on dreck.
There is an aspect of tinkering in the garage morphing into Intel going
on here.
I suspect she's well aware of the scorn that Ubi and others heap on
her. I doubt she cares whether we like her - as long as we watch. For
all I know, Ubi may be Sandra. If it helps, she's not real hard to look
at. Ubi, if you are actually Sandra, dump your hub. I want you (and the
ATM card).

"pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:%[email protected]...
> pennyaline wrote:
>> It's Rachael Ray TV, now. While her image was still perky but smart and
>> tame, she is now loud and flighty, braying like Paula Deen...

> <snip>
>
> What I meant was, I liked her while her image was still perky but smart
> and
> tame!

===========

I love Paula Deen. She reminds me of what the ideal Southern Mom was like
when I was growing up. Although I wish she would watch her weight better
(can't tell that I'm with the American Heart Association, can you? LOL) I
think she is more attractive as an older woman than in her younger days... I
enjoy listening to her and think she has a great sense of humor. Hmmm...
she even reminds me of my mom a bit... maybe that's why I like her so much.

Syssi

"pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:%[email protected]...
> pennyaline wrote:
> > It's Rachael Ray TV, now. While her image was still perky but smart and
> > tame, she is now loud and flighty, braying like Paula Deen...

Hey there - Paula Deen does not "bray". She's a sweet ol' thing who
obviously loves what she does and has been doing it for years. I also love
the fact that she's plump-a-licious and not stick-thin like 99% of tv stars
nowadays (hear me, Giada?).

-rah

Robert Hansen - Beaverton, OR USA
"Gays don't vomit. They're a very clean people, and they
have been since they came to this country from France."
- Family Guy

RAH wrote:

> Hey there - Paula Deen does not "bray". She's a sweet ol' thing who
> obviously loves what she does and has been doing it for years. I also love
> the fact that she's plump-a-licious and not stick-thin like 99% of tv stars
> nowadays (hear me, Giada?).
>
> -rah

I can't stand her accent or her loud guffaws. But that said, I saw her
on another program and she appeared ever so much more likable to me. I
suppose she wasn't as coarse and loud as she tends to be on her own
show? And she is way more attractive as an older woman than she ever
was younger, judging from her home footage.
Goomba

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:29:24 -0400, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
wrote:

>RAH wrote:
>

>> Hey there - Paula Deen does not "bray". She's a sweet ol' thing who
>> obviously loves what she does and has been doing it for years. I also love
>> the fact that she's plump-a-licious and not stick-thin like 99% of tv stars
>> nowadays (hear me, Giada?).
>>
>> -rah

>I can't stand her accent or her loud guffaws. But that said, I saw her
>on another program and she appeared ever so much more likable to me. I
>suppose she wasn't as coarse and loud as she tends to be on her own
>show? And she is way more attractive as an older woman than she ever
>was younger, judging from her home footage.
>Goomba

I love her laugh, I think it's delightful. She looks like she really
enjoys life, more power to her. And yes, I think she's beautiful too,
talk about getting better, not older!

TammyM

TammyM wrote on 8/13/2005:

<snip>

> First of all, ducky, it's "tortillas." Spelling. It's a fine thing.

<snip>

Tammy, the heat has gotten to you - loosen up. Real poetry isn't
written by aristocrats and intellectuals in ivory towers. It comes from
da street. Allow
some room for artistic license. Ubi (aka Sandra) isn't writing an
historical document. He (or she) is simply playing out his dementia for
you entertainment.

in article [email protected], RAH at [email protected]
wrote on 8/13/05 9:16 AM:

> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Who is this Sandra Lee anyway? I've never heard of her anywhere but in
>> this newsgroup. I quit watching Food Network a couple of years ago when
>> it morphed into Emeril TV.
>>
>> Bob

> Oh, you've missed so much. Emeril TV became Tyler Florence TV which became
> Bobby Flay TV which became Rachael Ray TV.
>
> -rah

so Emeril morphed into 3 generations of women?

--

You Can't Stop the Signal

ANIM8Rfsk said:
> RAH at [email protected] wrote:

>> Oh, you've missed so much. Emeril TV became Tyler Florence TV
>> which became Bobby Flay TV which became Rachael Ray TV.

> so Emeril morphed into 3 generations of women?

(gulp) bam?

--
So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
have some sympathy, and some taste.
Use all your well-learned politesse,
or I'll lay your soul to waste.

"ANIM8Rfsk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BF23A2D2.4A327%[email protected]...
> in article [email protected], RAH at [email protected]
> wrote on 8/13/05 9:16 AM:
>
> > "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >> Who is this Sandra Lee anyway? I've never heard of her anywhere but in
> >> this newsgroup. I quit watching Food Network a couple of years ago

when
> >> it morphed into Emeril TV.
> >>
> >> Bob

> > Oh, you've missed so much. Emeril TV became Tyler Florence TV which

became
> > Bobby Flay TV which became Rachael Ray TV.
> >

> so Emeril morphed into 3 generations of women?

Wow - you have been gone awhile. I don't know how to break this to you, but
Tyler Florence and Bobby Flay aren't women - and while I can imagine Tyler
in drag, "Bobbie" Flay would be as painful to the eyes as one of Sandra
Lee's tablescapes.

-rah

wrote on 8/13/05 7:00 PM:

> "ANIM8Rfsk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:BF23A2D2.4A327%[email protected]...
>> in article [email protected], RAH at [email protected]
>> wrote on 8/13/05 9:16 AM:
>>
>>> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

> when

>>> Oh, you've missed so much. Emeril TV became Tyler Florence TV which

> became
>>> Bobby Flay TV which became Rachael Ray TV.
>>>

>> so Emeril morphed into 3 generations of women?

> Wow - you have been gone awhile. I don't know how to break this to you, but
> Tyler Florence and Bobby Flay aren't women - and while I can imagine Tyler
> in drag, "Bobbie" Flay would be as painful to the eyes as one of Sandra
> Lee's tablescapes.

LOL, well, that didn't work. I assumed Tyler was a woman -- maybe the
'Florence' got me -- so I thought I had an opening to take a cheap shot at
Flay. Oh well. :)

--

You Can't Stop the Signal