Coming this saturday on Semi-Homade: Asian Hot & Spicy

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ubiquitous, Aug 13, 2005.

  1. Ubiquitous

    Ubiquitous Guest

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_sh/episode/0,1976,FOOD_14521_38133,00.html

    From the Food Network web site:

    Asian Hot & Spicy

    With Asian cuisine, the spice factor is guaranteed
    and Sandra Lee knows the recipe for mouth-watering
    flavor. So get your chop sticks ready for Wasabi
    Crab on Green Onion Pancakes, Shrimp in Spicy Coconut
    Sauce, Crispy Orange Beef, Shiitake Rice, and Grilled
    Pineapple with Iced Coconut Cream

    This is looks like another classic: the "green onion pancakes" are
    actually tortias sprinkled with green onion (with tuna can holes
    punched out, orange marmalade is used for the Orange Beef, and SLop
    is re-freezing ice cream again.

    How this relates to this week's "spicey foods" theme on this channel
    is anyone's guess.

    --
    WARNING!!!
    Use of these recipes may be hazardous to your health, food budget,

    Tags:

  2. Ubiquitous said:

    > This is looks like another classic: the "green onion pancakes"
    > are actually tortias sprinkled with green onion (with tuna can
    > holes punched out, orange marmalade is used for the Orange Beef,
    > and SLop is re-freezing ice cream again.
    >
    > How this relates to this week's "spicey foods" theme on this
    > channel is anyone's guess.

    followups: alt.obsession.never.pretty

    --
    So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
    have some sympathy, and some taste.

  3. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Ubiquitous wrote:
    > http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_sh/episode/0,1976,FOOD_14521_38133,00.html
    >
    > From the Food Network web site:
    >
    > Asian Hot & Spicy
    >
    > With Asian cuisine, the spice factor is guaranteed
    > and Sandra Lee knows the recipe for mouth-watering
    > flavor. So get your chop sticks ready for Wasabi
    > Crab on Green Onion Pancakes, Shrimp in Spicy Coconut
    > Sauce, Crispy Orange Beef, Shiitake Rice, and Grilled
    > Pineapple with Iced Coconut Cream
    >
    > This is looks like another classic: the "green onion pancakes" are
    > actually tortias sprinkled with green onion (with tuna can holes
    > punched out, orange marmalade is used for the Orange Beef, and SLop
    > is re-freezing ice cream again.
    >
    > How this relates to this week's "spicey foods" theme on this channel
    > is anyone's guess.

    Using orange marmalade in orange beef is a good idea (unless that's all
    she uses)

    Who is this Sandra Lee anyway? I've never heard of her anywhere but in
    this newsgroup. I quit watching Food Network a couple of years ago when
    it morphed into Emeril TV.

    Bob

  4. RAH

    RAH Guest

    "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Who is this Sandra Lee anyway? I've never heard of her anywhere but in
    > this newsgroup. I quit watching Food Network a couple of years ago when
    > it morphed into Emeril TV.
    >
    > Bob

    Oh, you've missed so much. Emeril TV became Tyler Florence TV which became
    Bobby Flay TV which became Rachael Ray TV.

    -rah

  5. pennyaline

    pennyaline Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > Who is this Sandra Lee anyway? I've never heard of her anywhere but in
    > this newsgroup. I quit watching Food Network a couple of years ago when
    > it morphed into Emeril TV.

    It's Rachael Ray TV, now. While her image was still perky but smart and
    tame, she is now loud and flighty, braying like Paula Deen, and appearing
    everywhere. She has three shows at last count. That would have been
    wonderful back when she was enjoyable to watch and listen to. Now she's
    intolerably shrill.

    <and talk about talks with the hands... oy!>

  6. pennyaline

    pennyaline Guest

    pennyaline wrote:
    > It's Rachael Ray TV, now. While her image was still perky but smart and
    > tame, she is now loud and flighty, braying like Paula Deen...

    <snip>

    What I meant was, I liked her while her image was still perky but smart and
    tame!

  7. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]
    > zxcvbob wrote:
    >> Who is this Sandra Lee anyway? I've never heard of her anywhere but in
    >> this newsgroup. I quit watching Food Network a couple of years ago when
    >> it morphed into Emeril TV.

    > It's Rachael Ray TV, now. While her image was still perky but smart and
    > tame, she is now loud and flighty, braying like Paula Deen, and appearing
    > everywhere. She has three shows at last count. That would have been
    > wonderful back when she was enjoyable to watch and listen to. Now she's
    > intolerably shrill.
    >
    > <and talk about talks with the hands... oy!>

    I used to watch Rachel -- now it's impossible for me to do so. I like the
    program presentation; i.e., meals in 30 minutes, but she's gone over the top
    for me in her giddiness and giggliness.
    Dee Dee

  8. Kevin_Sheehy

    Kevin_Sheehy Guest

    Ubiquitous wrote on 8/13/2005:

    > From the Food Network web site:
    >
    > Asian Hot & Spicy
    >
    > With Asian cuisine, the spice factor is guaranteed
    > and Sandra Lee knows the recipe for mouth-watering
    > flavor. So get your chop sticks ready for Wasabi
    > Crab on Green Onion Pancakes, Shrimp in Spicy Coconut
    > Sauce, Crispy Orange Beef, Shiitake Rice, and Grilled
    > Pineapple with Iced Coconut Cream
    >
    > This is looks like another classic: the "green onion pancakes" are
    > actually tortias sprinkled with green onion (with tuna can holes
    > punched out, orange marmalade is used for the Orange Beef, and SLop
    > is re-freezing ice cream again.
    >
    > How this relates to this week's "spicey foods" theme on this channel
    > is anyone's guess.

    <snip>

    Looking forward to the commentary.

  9. TammyM

    TammyM Guest

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:35:12 -0500, [email protected] (Ubiquitous)
    wrote:

    >http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_sh/episode/0,1976,FOOD_14521_38133,00.html
    >
    >From the Food Network web site:
    >
    > Asian Hot & Spicy
    >
    > With Asian cuisine, the spice factor is guaranteed
    > and Sandra Lee knows the recipe for mouth-watering
    > flavor. So get your chop sticks ready for Wasabi
    > Crab on Green Onion Pancakes, Shrimp in Spicy Coconut
    > Sauce, Crispy Orange Beef, Shiitake Rice, and Grilled
    > Pineapple with Iced Coconut Cream
    >
    >This is looks like another classic: the "green onion pancakes" are
    >actually tortias sprinkled with green onion (with tuna can holes
    >punched out, orange marmalade is used for the Orange Beef, and SLop
    >is re-freezing ice cream again.

    First of all, ducky, it's "tortillas." Spelling. It's a fine thing.

    Secondly, she recommended use of a regular biscuit cutter OR, if you
    don't have one, use a tomato paste can.

    >How this relates to this week's "spicey foods" theme on this channel
    >is anyone's guess.

    She used wasabi mayonnaise in the crab garnish of the green onion
    pancakes. Wasabi is hot, toots. She also garnished the pancakes with
    a dollop (a LARGE dollop) of wasabi paste. Sounds pretty spicy to me,
    n'est ce pas snookums? The Orange Beef also had Thai chiles in it.
    Spicy enough for you, dumpling?

    Get a hobby! Read a book! Take the dog for a walk!! But stop
    obsessing, it can't be good for you. Sweetcakes :)

    TammyM

  10. Ubiquitous

    Ubiquitous Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    >Ubiquitous wrote on 8/13/2005:

    >> This is looks like another classic: the "green onion pancakes" are
    >> actually tortias sprinkled with green onion (with tuna can holes
    >> punched out, orange marmalade is used for the Orange Beef, and SLop
    >> is re-freezing ice cream again.

    >Looking forward to the commentary.

    Thanks! Let me see if I can whip one out before this afternoon's
    repeat. The last half was just CRAZY.

    --
    WARNING!!!
    Use of these recipes may be hazardous to your health, food budget,
    standing in your community and liver function. Use at your own risk!! We
    assume no liability from any illness or injury sustained while eating the
    "food" or being exposed to crapass tablescapes. And no, we're not sure
    where she grew up either. The Cordon Bleu disavows any knowlege of Miss
    Lee.

  11. Kevin_Sheehy

    Kevin_Sheehy Guest

    zxcvbob wrote on 8/13/2005:

    <snip>

    > > How this relates to this week's "spicey foods" theme on this channel
    > > is anyone's guess.
    > >

    > Using orange marmalade in orange beef is a good idea (unless that's all
    > she uses)
    >
    > Who is this Sandra Lee anyway? I've never heard of her anywhere but in
    > this newsgroup. I quit watching Food Network a couple of years ago when
    > it morphed into Emeril TV.
    >
    > Bob

    Oh Bob! You really ought to invest the half hour required for one
    episode. If you do, slog through the whole 30 minutes, because you've
    got to work through all the elements - the gauzy camera work, the
    theme, the kitchen decor, the fungible appliances, the precious but
    invisible nephews, nieces, neighbors, etc., the nifty shortcuts to A
    list entertaining, the store bought angel food cakes, the Cool Whip,
    the blurred (unless you've paid the product placement fee) labels, the
    fake Rachel Ray chicken broth labels (never heard of Mary Magdalene
    chicken broth?), the tutti frutti but impressively spiked cocktails and
    don't forget the tablescape - not table setting - tablescape. I could
    go on, but I'd be trespassing on Ubi's turf. By the way, I hear that
    Rachel likes having Sandra as a colleague. Sort of gives Rachel that
    Madame Curie cachet that all women secretly crave.

    Barring that, take a peek at the Sandra spoof site, the short name for
    which is "fansofsandra" or scroll through the (ironically) "not about
    food" board on Chowhound. Shouldn't take long to find an extensive
    Sandra thread despite the moderators' admonishment to refrain from
    FoodTV bashing.

    In short, the lady has assembled a rather impressive business empire
    based on dreck.
    There is an aspect of tinkering in the garage morphing into Intel going
    on here.
    I suspect she's well aware of the scorn that Ubi and others heap on
    her. I doubt she cares whether we like her - as long as we watch. For
    all I know, Ubi may be Sandra. If it helps, she's not real hard to look
    at. Ubi, if you are actually Sandra, dump your hub. I want you (and the
    ATM card).

  12. Syssi

    Syssi Guest

    "pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:%[email protected]et...
    > pennyaline wrote:
    >> It's Rachael Ray TV, now. While her image was still perky but smart and
    >> tame, she is now loud and flighty, braying like Paula Deen...

    > <snip>
    >
    > What I meant was, I liked her while her image was still perky but smart
    > and
    > tame!

    ===========

    I love Paula Deen. She reminds me of what the ideal Southern Mom was like
    when I was growing up. Although I wish she would watch her weight better
    (can't tell that I'm with the American Heart Association, can you? LOL) I
    think she is more attractive as an older woman than in her younger days... I
    enjoy listening to her and think she has a great sense of humor. Hmmm...
    she even reminds me of my mom a bit... maybe that's why I like her so much.

    Syssi

  13. RAH

    RAH Guest

    "pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:%[email protected]
    > pennyaline wrote:
    > > It's Rachael Ray TV, now. While her image was still perky but smart and
    > > tame, she is now loud and flighty, braying like Paula Deen...

    Hey there - Paula Deen does not "bray". She's a sweet ol' thing who
    obviously loves what she does and has been doing it for years. I also love
    the fact that she's plump-a-licious and not stick-thin like 99% of tv stars
    nowadays (hear me, Giada?).

    -rah

    Robert Hansen - Beaverton, OR USA
    "Gays don't vomit. They're a very clean people, and they
    have been since they came to this country from France."
    - Family Guy

  14. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    RAH wrote:

    > Hey there - Paula Deen does not "bray". She's a sweet ol' thing who
    > obviously loves what she does and has been doing it for years. I also love
    > the fact that she's plump-a-licious and not stick-thin like 99% of tv stars
    > nowadays (hear me, Giada?).
    >
    > -rah

    I can't stand her accent or her loud guffaws. But that said, I saw her
    on another program and she appeared ever so much more likable to me. I
    suppose she wasn't as coarse and loud as she tends to be on her own
    show? And she is way more attractive as an older woman than she ever
    was younger, judging from her home footage.
    Goomba

  15. TammyM

    TammyM Guest

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:29:24 -0400, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >RAH wrote:
    >

    >> Hey there - Paula Deen does not "bray". She's a sweet ol' thing who
    >> obviously loves what she does and has been doing it for years. I also love
    >> the fact that she's plump-a-licious and not stick-thin like 99% of tv stars
    >> nowadays (hear me, Giada?).
    >>
    >> -rah

    >I can't stand her accent or her loud guffaws. But that said, I saw her
    >on another program and she appeared ever so much more likable to me. I
    >suppose she wasn't as coarse and loud as she tends to be on her own
    >show? And she is way more attractive as an older woman than she ever
    >was younger, judging from her home footage.
    >Goomba

    I love her laugh, I think it's delightful. She looks like she really
    enjoys life, more power to her. And yes, I think she's beautiful too,
    talk about getting better, not older!

    TammyM

  16. Kevin_Sheehy

    Kevin_Sheehy Guest

    TammyM wrote on 8/13/2005:

    <snip>

    > First of all, ducky, it's "tortillas." Spelling. It's a fine thing.

    <snip>

    Tammy, the heat has gotten to you - loosen up. Real poetry isn't
    written by aristocrats and intellectuals in ivory towers. It comes from
    da street. Allow
    some room for artistic license. Ubi (aka Sandra) isn't writing an
    historical document. He (or she) is simply playing out his dementia for
    you entertainment.

  17. ANIM8Rfsk

    ANIM8Rfsk Guest

    in article [email protected], RAH at [email protected]
    wrote on 8/13/05 9:16 AM:

    > "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> Who is this Sandra Lee anyway? I've never heard of her anywhere but in
    >> this newsgroup. I quit watching Food Network a couple of years ago when
    >> it morphed into Emeril TV.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Oh, you've missed so much. Emeril TV became Tyler Florence TV which became
    > Bobby Flay TV which became Rachael Ray TV.
    >
    > -rah

    so Emeril morphed into 3 generations of women?

    --

    You Can't Stop the Signal

  18. ANIM8Rfsk said:
    > RAH at [email protected] wrote:

    >> Oh, you've missed so much. Emeril TV became Tyler Florence TV
    >> which became Bobby Flay TV which became Rachael Ray TV.

    > so Emeril morphed into 3 generations of women?

    (gulp) bam?

    --
    So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
    have some sympathy, and some taste.
    Use all your well-learned politesse,
    or I'll lay your soul to waste.

  19. RAH

    RAH Guest

    "ANIM8Rfsk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BF23A2D2.4A327%[email protected]
    > in article [email protected], RAH at [email protected]
    > wrote on 8/13/05 9:16 AM:
    >
    > > "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > >> Who is this Sandra Lee anyway? I've never heard of her anywhere but in
    > >> this newsgroup. I quit watching Food Network a couple of years ago

    when
    > >> it morphed into Emeril TV.
    > >>
    > >> Bob

    > > Oh, you've missed so much. Emeril TV became Tyler Florence TV which

    became
    > > Bobby Flay TV which became Rachael Ray TV.
    > >

    > so Emeril morphed into 3 generations of women?

    Wow - you have been gone awhile. I don't know how to break this to you, but
    Tyler Florence and Bobby Flay aren't women - and while I can imagine Tyler
    in drag, "Bobbie" Flay would be as painful to the eyes as one of Sandra
    Lee's tablescapes.

    -rah

  20. ANIM8Rfsk

    ANIM8Rfsk Guest

    in article [email protected], RAH at [email protected]et
    wrote on 8/13/05 7:00 PM:

    > "ANIM8Rfsk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:BF23A2D2.4A327%[email protected]
    >> in article [email protected], RAH at [email protected]
    >> wrote on 8/13/05 9:16 AM:
    >>
    >>> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

    > when

    >>> Oh, you've missed so much. Emeril TV became Tyler Florence TV which

    > became
    >>> Bobby Flay TV which became Rachael Ray TV.
    >>>

    >> so Emeril morphed into 3 generations of women?

    > Wow - you have been gone awhile. I don't know how to break this to you, but
    > Tyler Florence and Bobby Flay aren't women - and while I can imagine Tyler
    > in drag, "Bobbie" Flay would be as painful to the eyes as one of Sandra
    > Lee's tablescapes.

    LOL, well, that didn't work. I assumed Tyler was a woman -- maybe the
    'Florence' got me -- so I thought I had an opening to take a cheap shot at
    Flay. Oh well. :)

    --

    You Can't Stop the Signal