Coming to New Zeeland for roadbiking in November to February

pollnow

Aug 12, 2014
Hey! I'm a Swede, trying to escape the horribly cold winter for a decent place for riding my road bike. I have a friend in Palmerston North where I can stay. I have not so much information about roadbiking in New Zeeland, more than the weather seems great and there must be some descent climbs around. In Sweden I do a lot of racing for my club, not in the highest level but quite high up. How does it work as a visitor to New Zeeland, can I join a club and do races? And where could be good to base myself? Would be happy with some advice.

pollnow iam going to Newzealand in feb 2015 but will not start mt tour until the 24th leaving Christchurch heading towards Dunedin which we Scots colonised, then on to Invercargill Bluff Queenstown over to the west coast to Haast up to Hokikta, westport over to Blemheim then on to Piston for the ferry back to Wellington, the millage is 1775kilometers and only have 16days to do it,
I have never cycleed with parriers or out of Scotland before but what the hell you need to start somewhere, Ihave had one hit since i posted my cyling intentions and that has been advice about black flies that are rampant at that time of the year on the west coast and to use jungke deet but this stuff rots plastic its so strong I will start out myself but i have a lonley planet guide from the library guide which informs me that in the summer months there are loads of cyclist out and about maybe you will run into sombody who will give you good advice or there is loads of cycle hire places they should have info about hill climbs etc ilso looked up youtube cycling videos of the south island but they are not informative but from christchurch and head weast on route 73 this will take you up to arthers pass and a gradient of 2000metres the road comes out on the westcoast with greymouth to the north and south to hokitika, also south of christchurch inbetweem temuka and timaru if you head west on highway8 this will take you up to mt cook village which is takingyou up to 2000metres but as far as my map says the road enda there, enjoy your holiday and cycling harryhole67