Comments on Spoke Choice

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Appkiller, May 21, 2003.

  1. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    I am in the process of building up a lighter set of wheels (relative to the current pair)for my
    backup bike using LX hubs and 32-hole CXP23 rims. I am thinking of using 14/17/14 for the front and
    non-drive rear and 14/15/14 for the drive side rear.

    I weigh about 210 lbs. Does anyone foresee problems with these spoke choices? Would I be better off
    just going with 14/15/14 all the way around?

    TIA

    App

    >I am in the process of building up a lighter set of wheels (relative to the current pair)for my
    >backup bike using LX hubs and 32-hole CXP23 rims. I am thinking of using 14/17/14 for the front and
    >non-drive rear and 14/15/14 for the drive side rear.
    >
    >I weigh about 210 lbs. Does anyone foresee problems with these spoke choices? Would I be better off
    >just going with 14/15/14 all the way around?

    I've had good results using 15/16.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  3. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    [email protected] (Appkiller) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am in the process of building up a lighter set of wheels (relative to the current pair)for my
    > backup bike using LX hubs and 32-hole CXP23 rims. I am thinking of using 14/17/14 for the front
    > and non-drive rear and 14/15/14 for the drive side rear.
    >
    > I weigh about 210 lbs. Does anyone foresee problems with these spoke choices? Would I be better
    > off just going with 14/15/14 all the way around?

    If you're "light" on your wheels, get 15/16/15 front, and 14/15/14 rear "built-well"....

  4. pete-<< I am in the process of building up a lighter set of wheels (relative to the current pair)for
    my backup bike using LX hubs and 32-hole CXP23 rims. I am thinking of using 14/17/14 for the front
    and non-drive rear and 14/15/14 for the drive side rear.

    No reason to use Revs on the left side rear if the wheel is built properly.

    << I weigh about 210 lbs.

    Don't use Revs anywhere is my recommendation.

    The wee bit of weight saved for this almost 500 gram rim is lost in the 'noise'...

    If you came into my store I would recommend 36 hole hubs and rims, like a Velocity Deep V or Fusion
    for you-14/15 all around.

  5. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Appkiller <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I am in the process of building up a lighter set of wheels (relative to the current pair)for my
    > backup bike using LX hubs and 32-hole CXP23 rims. I am thinking of using 14/17/14 for the front
    > and non-drive rear and 14/15/14 for the drive side rear.

    > I weigh about 210 lbs. Does anyone foresee problems with these spoke choices? Would I be better
    > off just going with 14/15/14 all the way around?

    At 210 lbs, why do want "lighter" wheels? Personally, I prefer more but lighter spokes. I'd go with
    36 spokes front and rear, 14-15-14 right rear, 15-16-15 everywhere else.

    Art Harris

  6. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    Harris <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Appkiller <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I am in the process of building up a lighter set of wheels (relative to the current pair)for my
    > > backup bike using LX hubs and 32-hole CXP23 rims. I am thinking of using 14/17/14 for the front
    > > and non-drive rear and 14/15/14 for the drive side rear.
    >
    > > I weigh about 210 lbs. Does anyone foresee problems with these spoke choices? Would I be better
    > > off just going with 14/15/14 all the way around?
    >
    > At 210 lbs, why do want "lighter" wheels? Personally, I prefer more but lighter spokes. I'd go
    > with 36 spokes front and rear, 14-15-14 right rear, 15-16-15 everywhere else.
    >
    > Art Harris

    "Why?", you ask.

    Reason #1:

    Because I already have the absolutely bomb-proof pair with 36 hole LX hubs, 14 ga spokes and 520
    gram rims. I happened to have the extra set of hubs and found the rims cheap and was interested in
    building a less heavy (perhaps 200 - 300 gms or so) set of wheels. Then I can actually climb hills
    instead of crawling when I ride the backup bike (or so I think).

    Reason #2:

    I enjoy building wheels (with good to excellent success so far - about 8 pairs or so) and I have
    never worked with 14/17/14's (but 14/15/14's I have). Something enjoyable to do and it results in a
    useful pair of wheels.

    Reason #3:

    I ride OP's with 32 14/15/14 spokes and have experienced no durability issues. With the added 5mm of
    the LX hubs, my less than scientific analysis suggested that the use of 14/17/14 might build a
    sufficiently durable wheel.

    App