Comments Please; long.

Alan

Guest
G'day All

X-posted to misc.health.diabetes, alt.support.diabetes

I would appreciate comments on the draft letter below. The
letter is intended for my local Diabetes Australia
quarterly magazine.

I feel a little like Spartacus heading off to the arena; "we
who are about to die salute you". I'm not an expert, so I
know I'm asking to be drawn and quartered here, but I'd
respect informed, civil criticism before I "go to press" :)

If I'm wrong or uninformed, I'm happy to debate the point or
modify the letter as long as things stay civil.

Letter:

To the editor,

I would hope that you will publish this letter, despite the
obvious disagreement with your standard dietary policy.

I am a type 2 diabetic. I was diagnosed in May 2002 with
high fasting glucose and HbA1c of 8.2. I realise that I
am just another of many thousands, or unfortunately now,
millions, around the world who have stepped out of the
doctor's office finding it hard to come to terms with
this news, and the implications for a significant change
in my life.

From that moment I was determined to learn what I needed to
know to beat
it. One of the first things I learnt was that, at least for
the moment, you can't beat it. It's incurable. But I
also slowly learnt that it is possible to gain a measure
of control. I lost 28 Kg in six months and have
stabilised at a loss of 25 Kg. The net results are that
my blood pressure is great, my lipids are the best
they've ever been, and my HbA1c has dropped from 8.2 to
5.9. My only medication is lipitor 20.

Unfortunately, the stock response to previous writers with
similar results such as ....... in the previous issue, is
that it was achieved because of the weight loss or exercise.
Yes, I lost weight, and yes, I do some exercise (I should do
more). However, the hardest time for control came after the
weight stabilised eighteen months ago. The reason I am in
control is post-prandial self-testing, with analysis of my
results leading to modification of my diet.

How did I do that? I read and listened to everything I could
find on type 2, but as a layman I didn't find much. I didn't
even know what to look for. Of course, I joined Diabetes
Australia, and I later attended a local monthly meeting. The
dietician there recommended his course at the community
health centre, so I went to that. It was good; I learnt
about carbohydrates, and how they lead to blood glucose, and
insulin, fats, food labels etc. Lots of good information.

But it was there that I first came across a contradiction.
In the first lecture, we learnt that eating complex
carbohydrates caused our blood glucose to rise, and eating
more carbs at a meal caused the BGs to rise more. Pretty
basic stuff.

During this time, I had searched the internet for
information and also joined some diabetes newsgroups. I
learnt there some advice which made simple sense to me -
test your blood glucose after you eat to find out what the
effect is from the food you eat. To me, that sounded so
logical. Then if what you eat causes a "spike" modify what
you eat next time. Obvious and logical.

Apparently not as obvious or as logical to the dietician,
Diabetes Australia (DA) or international authorities such as
the American Diabetes Association (ADA). Because in the next
lecture, we were told that we should eat 30-45 gms of
carbohydrate at every meal for our health. In the interim, I
had started testing my blood glucose one hour and two hours
after every meal to see the effects of my diet. When I put
the dietician's advice into practice, I consistently got
very high ( 8, 9 and over 10) readings at one hour.

So we come to the paradox facing Type 2 diabetics around
the world:

1. Dieticians advise high complex carbohydrate consumption,
apparently for heart and vascular health;
2. High complex carbohydrate consumption causes high blood
glucose levels;
3. High blood glucose levels cause diabetic
complications such as retinopathy, neuropathy,
nephropathy and heart disease;
4. DA dieticians promote high complex carbohydrate
consumption, but balance this by recommending medication
to control blood glucose levels. This advice appears to
be in line with the recommendations of the ADA.

I have attached copies of the relevant DA and ADA
recommendations to this letter.

There is an alternative. Follow a healthy diet, and take
diabetes medications or insulin if the diet is inadequate to
maintain safe blood glucose levels. I would define a healthy
diet for a diabetic as one which meets nutritional needs for
general health without raising blood glucose levels above
acceptable limits. That means a much lower carb intake for
most of us than that recommended by the dieticians. My view
is that self-monitoring of blood glucose levels (SMBG) is
necessary to determine the diet for each individual Type 2.
The best method to achieve this that I've seen is at http://www.alt-support-
diabetes.org , under the heading "Newly Diagnosed".

This option, which can lead to a significant reduction in
complex carbohydrates in the diet, is vehemently opposed by
diabetes authorities around the world. The basis for
opposition appears to be that it will lead to a higher
incidence of heart disease, despite a growing body of
evidence that the dietary thinking from the latter half of
the twentieth century was incorrect and simplistic. The
mantra appears to be: "fat is bad, carbs are good, excess
protein gives you kidney disease". Modern research is
starting to discover that the type of fat is critical - some
is good, some is bad, some is neither in moderation; the
type of carbs are critical - low GI, high GI, leafy veg
versus starches etc, the proportion and type of protein is
important, the inclusion of vitamins and minerals such as
calcium, potassium etc is critical; and so on. And most
important: that post-prandial excursions (BG spikes) caused
by high carb consumption are just as dangerous as high
fasting BG levels.

In other words, the more we learn on diet, the less definite
is the reliance on thinking from last century . Thus, there
is less and less foundation for the advice given by
dieticians for diabetics to eat lots of starchy carbs and
balance them with meds.

I had already designed my own diet, a very simple low-fat
low kj diet based on everything I could find on the
subject. Using that, and a lazy man's exercise programme, I
lost about 25 Kg. About half-way through that process I
started intensive testing, up to ten times daily in the
early stages. I discovered exactly what the effect was on
my blood from everything I ate, then went back and changed
the foods that caused spikes - until I didn't get spikes. I
don't eat low-carb deliberately; I eat low-spike, which
tends to be low-carb.

It doesn't mean I'll never use meds. It's a progressive
disease; all I can do is try to delay progress or slow it
down as much as I can. And it's no miracle cure - just the
application of common sense and discipline.

There is a new generation of informed, pro-active e-patients
out there who no longer accept the traditional advice
without backup support, cites to medical papers and logical
analysis. It is no longer acceptable to advise Type 2
diabetics to eat high starch diets unless a rational,
referenced argument can be put to support that case. This
letter is too long already, but I can, on request, provide
many medical research sources on the net for my logic. Can
the dieticians?

And to answer the cynics, no, my diet is not for sale.

Alan Shanley, Pottsville Beach NSW

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and
carbs to email.

so exactly WHO tells diabetics to eat "lots of starchy
carbs?" No medical person or dietician ever told ME to eat
"lots of starchy carbs". I question this person's "facts".

dave

Alan wrote: Thus, there is less and less
> foundation for the advice given by dieticians for
> diabetics to eat lots of starchy carbs and balance them
> with meds.

It all seems good to me personally. Has it been cathartic
for you? Do you think it will be printed in its entirety?
And the correct spelling is realize, stabilized, and of
course program, not programme. Oh, wait that's right, upside-
down land, so I guess it is programme.

Good for you! It's always encouraging to see people
speak out.

--
gingersnap geabbottATabbottandabbottDOTcom Do not mail to
t2_lurking (auto-delete)

"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:eek:[email protected]...

Alan wrote:
> If I'm wrong or uninformed, I'm happy to debate the point
> or modify the letter as long as things stay civil.

Alan, I don't think you are "wrong or uninformed" but in the
time I've spent as a teacher and as a technical writer, I've
learned that human beings in general DO NOT READ. In other
words, it's good, but unless you can make it shorter....

Easier said than done, I know.

--
Wes Groleau

Is it an on-line compliment to call someone a Net Wit ?

Alan,

My advice would be to think a bit more like a journalist and
make your point early in the letter, then support it. As it
is, a person must read quite a lot to get to the point and
most people, alas, are lazy when it comes to reading.

Make your point in a pithy first paragraph, and then
eliminate everything but the information that supports your
point. The shorter the better. That way, it gets read and
the information gets across.

-- Jenny - Low Carbing for 4 years. At goal for weight.
Type 2 diabetes, hba1c 5.4. Cut the carbs to respond to my
email address!

Low carb facts and figures, my weight-loss photos, tips,
recipes, strategies for dealing with diabetes and more at
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/

Looking for help controlling your blood sugar? Visit http://www.alt-support-
diabetes.org/Newly%20Diagnosed.htm

> [...]
> down as much as I can. And it's no miracle cure - just the
> application of common sense and discipline.
>
> There is a new generation of informed, pro-active e-
> patients out there who no longer accept the traditional
> advice without backup support, cites to medical papers and
> logical analysis. It is no longer acceptable to advise
> Type 2 diabetics to eat high starch diets unless a
> rational, referenced argument can be put to support that
> case. This letter is too long already, but I can, on
> request, provide many medical research sources on the net
> for my logic. Can the dieticians?
>
> And to answer the cynics, no, my diet is not for sale.
>
> Alan Shanley, Pottsville Beach NSW
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and carbs
> to email.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

After dx I was going to be sent to dabetes school, and it's
supposed to be a good one. It is suported, in part by a well
know, famous food conglomerate. Their high sugar cereals and
white bread are promoyed as the only ones, one shpuld eat.
The dieticians there were seriously behind the times, and I
do not eat the types of processed foods they promoted. It
didn't maje sese. Also one doc told me that all of my
problems were caused because I ate too many foods that were
whole grain. She said my body couldn't handle all the fiber.
Also carrots were causing y bg to run amuck, and I don;t
even eat them. The standard AFA fiet, at that time, wasn't
helpng out and I really needed qick weight loss. I adopted a
diet from a book, newly published then, although I can't
remember the name right now. It promoted high fiber and
whole grain products, and lower, but not completely
eliminated or low carb, such as we have now. I was off meds
in a few months. I was also losing weight. I have found that
moderation is very key. Those taking meds, might be able to
consume this higher amount of carbs as has been put here,
but as a type 2 with a weight problem, this would never work
for me. The diet advise I was given was not solid. I was
highly opinionated, from erso to person. I knew the
rudiments of the required diet, because of my sister being
dx'd 10 years befor me. Her dietician put her on a moderate
diet. That seems to be the best for both of us. While I was
still taking med and working out heavily, I did not go
completely low carb, nor did I ever consume that much at
every meal. I do not think that a high carb diet, meds or
not, sounds like something that is good for you. Rainbow

On 3-Jun-2004, Alan <[email protected]> wrote:

> I would appreciate comments on the draft letter below. The
> letter is intended for my local Diabetes Australia
> quarterly magazine.
>
> I feel a little like Spartacus heading off to...

Sorry... far too long. Get it down to one page of A4. If you
want to make an impact, you need sound-bites. Anyone want a
publicity person?

--
Bob Dx T1 4/4/2003, just a few units of novorapid when
I need it (trying zeroish carb - kiddies, do not try

Alan, I don;t know about your magazine but the New York
Times prefers letters of no more than 100 words. If you
tighten it up you will have a better chance of being
published.

PJ

"Bay Area Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> so exactly WHO tells diabetics to eat "lots of starchy
> carbs?" No medical person or dietician ever told ME to eat
> "lots of starchy carbs". I question this person's "facts".

Nobody told me that either, and I've seen three dieticians.
All of them gave me similar eating plans and all contained
less carbs than what I would have normally eaten.

--
Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

The dietitian I HAD for one. 45 gram of carbs at each meal 3 times a
day, 15 gm of carbs for snacks 4 times a day. Close to 200 carbs a day
while BG was out of control. Things like rolls, bread, oatmeal, OJ,
milk, fruit, etc. Lots of starch IMO. :)

--
Cheri
Type 2, no meds for now.

Bay Area Dave wrote:
> so exactly WHO tells diabetics to eat "lots of starchy
> carbs?" No medical person or dietician ever told ME to eat
> "lots of starchy carbs". I question this person's "facts".

In the U.S., this doctrine comes from the American Diabetes
Association, from people who believe what they had to say to
earn the "Certified Diabetes Educator" and from doctors and
dietitians who haven't paid any attention to medical
research in the last umpteen years.

--
Wes Groleau

A bureaucrat is someone who cuts red tape lengthwise.

Bay Area Dave wrote:
> so exactly WHO tells diabetics to eat "lots of starchy
> carbs?" No medical person or dietician ever told ME to
eat
> "lots of starchy carbs". I question this person's
"facts".

Mine did. 4 carb exchanges per main meal, 2 per snack. Each
carb exchange was approx 15 gr carb - so 60gr per main meal,
30 per snack (3 snacks I was told to eat). I see
recommendations daily from different sources, that a type 2
diabetic should eat high carb diet.

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 22:14:51 -0500, Wes Groleau
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Alan wrote:
>> If I'm wrong or uninformed, I'm happy to debate the point
>> or modify the letter as long as things stay civil.
>
>Alan, I don't think you are "wrong or uninformed" but in
>the time I've spent as a teacher and as a technical writer,
>I've learned that human beings in general DO NOT READ. In
>other words, it's good, but unless you can make it
>shorter....
>
>Easier said than done, I know.

Fair comment Wes; I'm well aware of both the editorial need
for space and the need to precis it. I think I'll send them
three versions - the sound bite, the brief version and the
one above :)

I wanted to see the comments before I started
abbreviating it.

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and
carbs to email.

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 07:10:35 -0400, "Jenny" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Alan,
>
>My advice would be to think a bit more like a journalist
>and make your point early in the letter, then support
>it. As it is, a person must read quite a lot to get to
>the point and most people, alas, are lazy when it comes
>to reading.
>
>Make your point in a pithy first paragraph, and then
>eliminate everything but the information that supports your
>point. The shorter the better. That way, it gets read and
>the information gets across.

Thx Jenny. Some trimming to do.

Bay Area Dave wrote:
> so exactly WHO tells diabetics to eat "lots of starchy
> carbs?" No medical person or dietician ever told ME to eat
> "lots of starchy carbs". I question this person's "facts".
>
> dave
>
> Alan wrote: Thus, there is less and less
>
>> foundation for the advice given by dieticians for
>> diabetics to eat lots of starchy carbs and balance them
>> with meds.

For example, http://www.diabetes.org.uk/eatwell/meal_plann-
ing/eightsteps.htm has "Eat regular meals based on starchy
carbohydrate foods such as bread, pasta, chapatis,
potatoes, rice and cereals. This will help you to control
your blood glucose levels. Whenever possible, choose
wholegrain varities that are high in fibre, like wholemeal
bread and wholemeal cereals to help maintain the health of
your digestive system and prevent problems such as
constipation. " This is from the major UK diabetes charity.
Note that the recommendations are qualitative rather than
quantitative. {hilip

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 20:19:57 -0400, "Peanutjake" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Alan, I don;t know about your magazine but the New York
>Times prefers letters of no more than 100 words. If you
>tighten it up you will have a better chance of being
>published.
>
>PJ

Thanks PJ. I've got that message loud and clear now :)

Any comments on the content?

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and
carbs to email.

"Cheri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The dietitian I HAD for one. 45 gram of carbs at each meal
> 3 times a day, 15 gm of carbs for snacks 4 times a day.
> Close to 200 carbs a day while BG was out of control.
> Things like rolls, bread, oatmeal, OJ, milk, fruit, etc.
> Lots of starch IMO. :)

That's still less carbs than I ate pre-diabetes.

--
Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

really!!! that's amazing, Cheri. no wonder some folks here
hate going to their doctor or speaking to anyone even
remotely connected to the medical profession! Seems pretty
wacky. I guess I lead a sheltered life. :)

dave

Cheri wrote:

> The dietitian I HAD for one. 45 gram of carbs at each meal
> 3 times a day, 15 gm of carbs for snacks 4 times a day.
> Close to 200 carbs a day while BG was out of control.
> Things like rolls, bread, oatmeal, OJ, milk, fruit, etc.
> Lots of starch IMO. :)
>
> --
> Cheri Type 2, no meds for now.
>
> Bay Area Dave wrote in message ...
>
>>so exactly WHO tells diabetics to eat "lots of starchy
>>carbs?" No medical person or dietician ever told ME to eat
>>"lots of starchy carbs". I question this person's "facts".
>>
>>dave
>>
>>Alan wrote: Thus, there is less and less
>>
>>>foundation for the advice given by dieticians for
>>>diabetics to eat
>
> lots
>
>>>of starchy carbs and balance them with meds.

I'm blown away by that, Ozgirl. I guess I ignore dietary
information at this point, as I've been on insulin since '78
and don't bother to read current dietary fads or diets for
T1 or T2 diabetics as I know what works for ME. Thanks for
enlightening me to the nonsense that passes for information
these days. I was under the impression that T2's would be on
a very low carb diet. Having never spent a day as a T2, I'm
not familiar with their needs, but I'd just ASSUMED that
they would eat low carb.

Do the recommendations for high carb diets make ANY sense to
you for T2's? Is there some aspect of that diet that can be
explained?

dave

Ozgirl wrote:

> Bay Area Dave wrote:
>
>>so exactly WHO tells diabetics to eat "lots of starchy
>>carbs?" No medical person or dietician ever told ME to
>
> eat
>
>>"lots of starchy carbs". I question this person's
>
> "facts".
>
> Mine did. 4 carb exchanges per main meal, 2 per snack.
> Each carb exchange was approx 15 gr carb - so 60gr per
> main meal, 30 per snack (3 snacks I was told to eat). I
> see recommendations daily from different sources, that a
> type 2 diabetic should eat high carb diet.

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 00:55:41 -0400, "Julie Bove"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bay Area Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> so exactly WHO tells diabetics to eat "lots of starchy
>> carbs?" No medical person or dietician ever told ME to
>> eat "lots of starchy carbs". I question this person's
>> "facts".
>
>Nobody told me that either, and I've seen three dieticians.
>All of them gave me similar eating plans and all contained
>less carbs than what I would have normally eaten.

Hi Julie, and Dave.

I mentioned the dietician's advice I received in the body of
the letter. I include the ADA as well as DA because their
recommendations tend to cross borders, so what happens there
can affect us here.

There are many sources of the high-carb advice, possibly two
of the most relevant are:

From the official ADA web-site (incidentally, Dave, you'll
note they don't distinguish between type 1 and 2):

http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-and-
recipes/nutrition/starches.jsp

"The Diabetes Food Pyramid: Starches

The message today: Eat more starches! It is healthiest for
everyone to eat more whole grains, beans, and starchy
vegetables such as peas, corn, potatoes and winter squash.
Starches are good for you because they have very little fat,
saturated fat, or cholesterol. They are packed with
vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Yes, foods with carbohydrate
-- starches, vegetables, fruits, and dairy products -- will
raise your blood glucose more quickly than meats and fats,
but they are the healthiest foods for you. Your doctor may
need to adjust your medications when you eat more
carbohydrates. You may need to increase your activity level
or try spacing carbohydrates throughout the day. "

From Diabetes Australia "Healthy Eating" http://www.diabet-
esaustralia.com.au/multilingualdiabetes/healthpros/foodnut-
/healthy.htm "A good eating pattern for a person with
diabetes will:
* Contain mostly high fibre carbohydrate foods -
wholegrain cereals and bread, vegetables and fruit
* Be low in saturated fat
* Provide adequate protein for good health

Diabetes and your Diet

Healthy eating helps control blood glucose levels Choose
* Mainly carbohydrates (for example, wholegrain breads,
pasta, rice (eg Basmati or Doongara), legumes,
vegetables and fruit)
* Be moderate in protein intake (for example, lean meat,
skinless chicken, fish and eggs)
* Select foods high in fibre (for example, wholegrain
bread, fruit and vegetables) etc"

DA has a similar recommendation specifically for eating
fruit, but with a slightly more balanced approach at: http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-and-
recipes/nutrition/fruit.jsp

Hope this partly clarifies my reason for writing.