Comments Please; long.

I AVOID eating rice, pasta and potatoes! On occasion I'll
eat them, but not as a general rule.

dave

Philip Smith wrote:

> Bay Area Dave wrote:
>
>> so exactly WHO tells diabetics to eat "lots of starchy
>> carbs?" No medical person or dietician ever told ME to
>> eat "lots of starchy carbs". I question this person's
>> "facts".
>>
>> dave
>>
>> Alan wrote: Thus, there is less and less
>>
>>> foundation for the advice given by dieticians for
>>> diabetics to eat lots of starchy carbs and balance them
>>> with meds.
>>>

> For example, http://www.diabetes.org.uk/eatwell/meal_plan-
> ning/eightsteps.htm has "Eat regular meals based on
> starchy carbohydrate foods such as bread, pasta, chapatis,
> potatoes, rice and cereals. This will help you to control
> your blood glucose levels. Whenever possible, choose
> wholegrain varities that are high in fibre, like wholemeal
> bread and wholemeal cereals to help maintain the health of
> your digestive system and prevent problems such as
> constipation. " This is from the major UK diabetes
> charity. Note that the recommendations are qualitative
> rather than quantitative. {hilip

"Bay Area Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm blown away by that, Ozgirl. I guess I ignore dietary
> information at this point, as I've been on insulin since
> '78 and don't bother to read current dietary fads or diets
> for T1 or T2 diabetics as I know what works for ME. Thanks
> for enlightening me to the nonsense that passes for
> information these days. I was under the impression that
> T2's would be on a very low carb diet. Having never spent
> a day as a T2, I'm not familiar with their needs, but I'd
> just ASSUMED that they would eat low carb.
>
> Do the recommendations for high carb diets make ANY sense
> to you for T2's? Is there some aspect of that diet that
> can be explained?

The three dieticians I've seen advised neither a high carb
or a low carb diet. Yes, some people would call the diet I'm
on now high carb. On a good day, that would be about 170 g
of carbs. I've had to cut back though. Can eat very few
carbs at breakfast and now it seems, very few at lunch as
well. The last dietician I saw cautioned me against eating
too much fat or protein. She wanted me to have only 1 oz. of
protein for each of my three meals and none for my snack. I
don't know about you, but that's not enough to keep me from
being hungry. Also, when you take away the fat and protein,
there's nothing left but carbs.

--
Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

thanks for the clarification, Alan. I'm still incredulous at
their suggestions. I discussed this briefly with my wife
late last night to see if she'd heard the same thing years
ago and sure enough, she said yes. seems crazy to me.

dave

Alan wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 00:55:41 -0400, "Julie Bove"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Bay Area Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>so exactly WHO tells diabetics to eat "lots of starchy
>>>carbs?" No medical person or dietician ever told ME to
>>>eat "lots of starchy carbs". I question this person's
>>>"facts".
>>
>>Nobody told me that either, and I've seen three
>>dieticians. All of them gave me similar eating plans
>>and all contained less carbs than what I would have
>>normally eaten.
>

> Hi Julie, and Dave.
>
> I mentioned the dietician's advice I received in the body
> of the letter. I include the ADA as well as DA because
> their recommendations tend to cross borders, so what
> happens there can affect us here.
>
> There are many sources of the high-carb advice, possibly
> two of the most relevant are:
>
> From the official ADA web-site (incidentally, Dave, you'll
> note they don't distinguish between type 1 and 2):
>
> http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-and-
> recipes/nutrition/starches.jsp
>
> "The Diabetes Food Pyramid: Starches
>
> The message today: Eat more starches! It is healthiest
> for everyone to eat more whole grains, beans, and starchy
> vegetables such as peas, corn, potatoes and winter
> squash. Starches are good for you because they have very
> little fat, saturated fat, or cholesterol. They are
> packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Yes, foods
> with carbohydrate -- starches, vegetables, fruits, and
> dairy products -- will raise your blood glucose more
> quickly than meats and fats, but they are the healthiest
> foods for you. Your doctor may need to adjust your
> medications when you eat more carbohydrates. You may need
> to increase your activity level or try spacing
> carbohydrates throughout the day. "
>

> From Diabetes Australia "Healthy Eating" http://www.diabe-
> tesaustralia.com.au/multilingualdiabetes/healthpros/foodn-
> ut/healthy.htm "A good eating pattern for a person with
> diabetes will:
> * Contain mostly high fibre carbohydrate foods -
> wholegrain cereals and bread, vegetables and fruit
> * Be low in saturated fat
> * Provide adequate protein for good health
>
> Diabetes and your Diet
>
> Healthy eating helps control blood glucose levels Choose
> * Mainly carbohydrates (for example, wholegrain
> breads, pasta, rice (eg Basmati or Doongara),
> legumes, vegetables and fruit)
> * Be moderate in protein intake (for example, lean
> meat, skinless chicken, fish and eggs)
> * Select foods high in fibre (for example, wholegrain
> bread, fruit and vegetables) etc"
>
> DA has a similar recommendation specifically for eating
> fruit, but with a slightly more balanced approach at: http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-and-
> recipes/nutrition/fruit.jsp
>
> Hope this partly clarifies my reason for writing.
>

> Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and carbs
> to email.

In article <[email protected]>,
Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
>I'm blown away by that, Ozgirl. I guess I ignore dietary
>information at this point, as I've been on insulin since
>'78 and don't bother to read current dietary fads or diets
>for T1 or T2 diabetics as I know what works for ME.

I have not been on insulin that long, but I do not ignore
dietary information. Even before the glycemic index came
out, I questioned the almost universal objection to fats and
the recommendation to get more carbohydrates. I have
recently changed to a lower carbohydrate, higher fat diet,
and I seem to have better lipids, and at least as good
control of blood glucose.

--
This address is for information only. I do not claim that
these views are those of the Statistics Department or of

"Bay Area Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
Having never spent a day as a T2,
> I'm not familiar with their needs, but I'd just ASSUMED
> that they would eat low carb.

compared to how i used to eat - i am eating much lower
carbs.

> Do the recommendations for high carb diets make ANY sense
> to you for T2's? Is there some aspect of that diet that
> can be explained?

i think it would be pretty hard to find a doctor that does
not promote high fat and or high proteins diets to call -
what is believed by most to be the heathiest diet for people
( with or without diabetes) by most scientists a high carb
diet - they will most likely call it a low fat diet. to
answer your question above The message today: Eat more
starches! It is healthiest for everyone to eat more whole
grains, beans, and starchy vegetables such as peas, corn,
potatoes and winter squash. Starches are good for you
because they have very little fat, saturated fat, or
cholesterol. They are packed with vitamins, minerals, and
fiber. Yes, foods with carbohydrate -- starches, vegetables,
fruits, and dairy products -- will raise your blood glucose
more quickly than meats and fats, but they are the
healthiest foods for you. Your doctor may ( may does not
mean will )need to adjust your medications when you eat more
carbohydrates. You may need to increase your activity level
or try spacing carbohydrates throughout the day. " before
anyone starts on the medications band wagon - I am off
medications. Thomas Muffaletto

> dave

I don't ignore the labels, OR what I eat. I just don't read
articles pertaining to the current thinking regarding what a
diabetic "should" be eating.

dave

Herman Rubin wrote:

> I have not been on insulin that long, but I do not ignore
> dietary information.

Alan:

> To the editor,
>
> I would hope that you will publish this letter,
> despite the obvious disagreement with your standard
> dietary policy.

I suppose that what you are proposing for your letter is
about what I am in agreement with so I would not critique it
negatively. In most of the letter's to the editor sections I
have seen clauses that permit editing by the staff.
Hopefully the heart of your message won't get clipped.

Frank

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:16:56 -0500, "t2_lurking"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It all seems good to me personally. Has it been cathartic
>for you? Do you think it will be printed in its entirety?
>And the correct spelling is realize, stabilized, and of
>course program, not programme. Oh, wait that's right, upside-
>down land, so I guess it is programme.
>
>Good for you! It's always encouraging to see people
>speak out.
>
>--
>gingersnap

Hi t2

I thought I knew the true meaning of cathartic, but I
double-checked.

\Ca*thar"tic\, Catharical \Ca*thar"ic*al\, a. [Gr. ?, fr. ?
to cleanse, fr. ? pure; akin to F. chaste.]

1. (Med.) Cleansing the bowels; promoting evacuations by
stool; purgative.

2. Of or pertaining to the purgative principle of senna, as
cathartic acid.

or:

adj 1: emotionally purging [syn: psychotherapeutic] 2:
emotionally purging (of e.g. art) [syn: releasing] 3:
strongly laxative [syn: evacuant, purgative] n : a purging
medicine; stimulates evacuation of the bowels [syn:
purgative, laxative, physic, aperient]

I suspect you meant the emotional sense of the word; but no,
it isn't cathartic - in either sense:)

Now, if we were speaking about some of the trollsters....

Cheri wrote:
> The dietitian I HAD for one. 45 gram of carbs at each meal
> 3 times a day, 15 gm of carbs for snacks 4 times a day.
> Close to 200 carbs a day while BG was out of control.
> Things like rolls, bread, oatmeal, OJ, milk, fruit, etc.
> Lots of starch IMO. :)

The dietician I had gave exactly the same carbs levels at
meals and snacks as yours did. I believe that this is a
prescription for failure when it comes to blood glucose
control. Ten years from now or less these dieticians will
probably get sued for malpractice if they are still
promoting the same diet.

Frank

"Wes Groleau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In the U.S., this doctrine comes from the American
> Diabetes Association, from people who believe what they
> had to say to earn the "Certified Diabetes Educator" and
> from doctors and dietitians who haven't paid any attention
> to medical research in the last umpteen years.
>
> --
> Wes Groleau
>
> A bureaucrat is someone who cuts red tape lengthwise.

This "Certified" thing bothers me - what if the certificate
was obtained in 1952? A few doctors I met didn't seem to
bother with updating their knowledge....

Henry Australia

Alan:

> Hi t2
>
> I thought I knew the true meaning of cathartic, but I double-
> checked.
>
> \Ca*thar"tic\, Catharical \Ca*thar"ic*al\, a. [Gr. ?, fr.
> ? to cleanse, fr. ? pure; akin to F. chaste.]
>
> 1. (Med.) Cleansing the bowels; promoting evacuations by
> stool; purgative.
>
> 2. Of or pertaining to the purgative principle of senna,
> as cathartic acid.
>
> or:
>
> adj 1: emotionally purging [syn: psychotherapeutic] 2:
> emotionally purging (of e.g. art) [syn: releasing] 3:
> strongly laxative [syn: evacuant, purgative] n : a purging
> medicine; stimulates evacuation of the bowels [syn:
> purgative, laxative, physic, aperient]
>
> I suspect you meant the emotional sense of the word; but
> no, it isn't cathartic - in either sense:)

How about a cerebral cathartic? It wouldn't hurt some people
to have a new deck. :) Maybe even me!

Frank

"Jefferson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Alan:
>
> > Hi t2
> >
> > I thought I knew the true meaning of cathartic, but I
> > double-checked.
> >
> > \Ca*thar"tic\, Catharical \Ca*thar"ic*al\, a. [Gr. ?,
> > fr. ? to cleanse, fr. ? pure; akin to F. chaste.]
> >
> > 1. (Med.) Cleansing the bowels; promoting evacuations by
> > stool; purgative.
> >
> > 2. Of or pertaining to the purgative principle of senna,
> > as cathartic acid.
> >
> > or:
> >
> > adj 1: emotionally purging [syn: psychotherapeutic] 2:
> > emotionally purging (of e.g. art) [syn: releasing] 3:
> > strongly laxative [syn: evacuant, purgative] n : a
> > purging medicine; stimulates evacuation of the bowels
> > [syn: purgative, laxative, physic, aperient]
> >
> > I suspect you meant the emotional sense of the word; but
> > no, it isn't cathartic - in either sense:)
> >

> How about a cerebral cathartic? It wouldn't hurt some
> people to have a new deck. :) Maybe even me!
>
> Frank

How about the old game of 48 card pickup? ;-)

Annette The scatter-brain.

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 23:43:19 +1000, "Annette" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>How about the old game of 48 card pickup? ;-)
>

>Annette The scatter-brain.

You do realise that means you weren't playing with a
full deck?

Alan wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 23:43:19 +1000, "Annette"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>How about the old game of 48 card pickup? ;-)
>>

>>Annette The scatter-brain.
>

> You do realise that means you weren't playing with a
> full deck?

Does that mean the joker and 3 others?

"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 23:43:19 +1000, "Annette"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >How about the old game of 48 card pickup? ;-)
> >

> >Annette The scatter-brain.
>
> You do realise that means you weren't playing with a
> full deck?
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and carbs
> to email.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Yes.

Well, I do now!

See what I mean?

Poker anyone?

Annette

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 20:19:06 -0400, Jefferson <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Alan wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 23:43:19 +1000, "Annette"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>How about the old game of 48 card pickup? ;-)
>>>

>>>Annette The scatter-brain.
>>

>> You do realise that means you weren't playing with a
>> full deck?
>>

>Does that mean the joker and 3 others?

I think I may hold a high stakes poker night; you and
Annette are the first to be invited:)

Joker makes 53. A-10, JQK x 4 = 52.

Over here, not playing with a full deck is like "his
elevator doesn't go to the top floor" or "a shilling short
of a quid", in modern times "ten cents short of a dollar".

Alan wrote:

> Over here, not playing with a full deck is like "his
> elevator doesn't go to the top floor"

Same here. As well as "a few bricks short of a load" and
many other similar sayings. :)
--
Debbie

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 11:03:56 +1000, Alan
<[email protected]> wrote:

>G'day All
>
>X-posted to misc.health.diabetes, alt.support.diabetes
>
>I would appreciate comments on the draft letter below. The
>letter is intended for my local Diabetes Australia
>quarterly magazine.
>
>I feel a little like Spartacus heading off to the arena;
>"we who are about to die salute you". I'm not an expert,
>so I know I'm asking to be drawn and quartered here, but
>I'd respect informed, civil criticism before I "go to
>press" :)
>
>If I'm wrong or uninformed, I'm happy to debate the point
>or modify the letter as long as things stay civil.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice on my draft letter, both
here and by email. I've included a copy of the final epistle
below. I sent it today, so too late to tell me it's a load
of garbage now :)

It will be interesting to see if they publish, I may be too
late for this quarter's edition. I cut the words down from
1200+ to about 520.

Thanks again for the constructive advice.

Letter:

To The Editor I am eternally grateful for the work the
pioneers at Diabetes Australia did in helping us get the
NDSS and the support system that we now have. The
organisation continues to do a great job. But I have a basic
difficulty with the logic of the dietary advice recommended
by your dieticians.

I see their advice like this:
1. Dieticians advise high complex carbohydrate consumption,
apparently for heart, kidney and vascular health;
2. High complex carbohydrate consumption causes high blood
glucose levels;
3. High blood glucose levels cause diabetic
complications such as retinopathy, neuropathy,
nephropathy and heart disease;
4. DA dieticians therefore recommend balancing the high
complex carbohydrate consumption with medication or
insulin to control blood glucose levels. This advice
appears to be in line with the recommendations of
overseas organisations such as the American Diabetes
Association (ADA).

Specific examples can be found on the DA web-site at ht-
tp://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/multilingualdiabetes/-
healthpros/foodnut/healthy.htm or the ADA web-site at
http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-and-
recipes/nutrition/starches.jsp .

My difficulty in understanding this is because no-one
seems to be investigating the alternative approaches. I
don't mean herbs and supplements, just a better diet for
diabetics, together with exercise, to enable minimal
medication.

To me, the most obvious alternative is to search for a
diet for the diabetic which provides adequate nutrition
for good health but does not cause high blood glucose
levels. If such a diet is possible it would minimise the
need for medication, particularly for type 2, with side
benefits for overall health and health costs. I can
attest that it is possible; I've done it, as have many
others. However, when diabetics write to give examples,
such as K ...... in the Autumn issue, they are dismissed
and told that their improvement must be because of
exercise, or weight loss, or some other factor.

The method I followed, as a type 2, was simple. I
started with a standard, sensible diet to lose weight.
Then, as I followed that diet, I tested everything I
ate one hour and two hours after I ate it. If I
consistently found that something led to high blood
glucose, I changed
it. Sometimes I changed the food, sometimes the quantity,
sometimes the timing, but always the aim was to
minimise "spikes". Gradually I found I was eating
significantly less carbohydrates, a little more protein
and a little more "good" oils. And I did a little "lazy
man's" exercise along the way. I also gradually reduced
the high level of initial testing as results became
predictable.

After attaining a degree of control over my blood
glucose, I now progressively review my diet to ensure
there are no missing nutritional requirements and to
further improve lipids etc. At diagnosis in 2002 my
HbA1c was 8.2, now it's 5.9 and I take no diabetes
medications. It's a long time since I've seen a "spike"
over 8, rarely over 7.5. The improvements continued long
after I reached my target weight. And my heart, blood
pressure, lipids, kidneys and so on are also in good
shape. Why do your dieticians continue to promote high
carbohydrate consumption? What is it I'm missing, apart
from complications?

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia. Remove weight and
carbs to email.

well done...... hope they print it all for you!

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk More

In alt.support.diabetes Alan <[email protected]> wrote:
: On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 11:03:56 +1000, Alan
: <[email protected]> wrote:

: >G'day All
: >
[...]

: tes/healthpros/foodnut/healthy.htm or the ADA web-site
[...]

: --

: Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Very nicely said, Alan. I hope your pleasant manner in this
letter doesn't cause them to take it lightly.

Wendy