Common Cone Wrench Sizes

Mathias TN

Oct 5, 2011
I am working on building my bike tool collection. There have been a few situations where I could have used a cone wrench. I looked up sets and most come with the following sizes, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm and 19mm, so I assume these much be pretty common. I notice the also sell them 20mm+ as well. I am not mechanically inclined enough to just look at the part to determine what size I need so I cant just purchase an individual wrench. Thanks in advance for any replies.

qdc15

Aug 18, 2004
You might want to purchase a caliper to measure your cones. You will find it handy for many measuring tasks.

A simple ruler could be used though.

dhk2

Aug 8, 2006
I bought a set of cone wrenches ages ago. Two double-sized stamped steel wrenches, four sizes total. These cheap sets may still be available. Another approach would be to just take the wheel into the LBS and buy a wrench from them. A mechanic will likely look at the hub and tell you what you need. LBS here sell tools, often Park.

Agree a vernier caliper is useful for alot of things on the bike, like checking seatpost and stem diameter, chain wear. I've got a cheapo model, under $15 from Harbor Freight that works fine for home shop use.

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
Originally Posted by dhk2 .

I bought a set of cone wrenches ages ago. Two double-sized stamped steel wrenches, four sizes total. These cheap sets may still be available. Another approach would be to just take the wheel into the LBS and buy a wrench from them. A mechanic will likely look at the hub and tell you what you need. LBS here sell tools, often Park.

Agree a vernier caliper is useful for alot of things on the bike, like checking seatpost and stem diameter, chain wear. I've got a cheapo model, under $15 from Harbor Freight that works fine for home shop use.

...and the calipers can be used to measure chain wear.

tafi

Jul 31, 2003
I'd be determining which sizes you actually need first from what kind of hubs you use. But yes the set you've mentioned covers all the main sizes. I've never used a cone spanner that was not between 13 and 17mm.

It really depends on what hubs you use. I have either DT or campagnolo hubs so I only ever need one cone wrench for the Campag lock ring. I got one for free by grinding out a cheap plate spanner, which came with some self-assembly furniture.