Common cycling speak

SuzieB

Oct 15, 2005
Stolen from the triathlon forums at http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=13821

Some common cycling speak:

"I'm not very fit"
Translation: I ride 600Ks a week and haven't missed a day since Bob won the election. I replace my 11-tooth cog more often than you wash your undies. My body fat percentage is lower than your mortgage rate.

"I'm not into racing. I'm just riding to stay fit"
Translation: I will attack until you collapse in the gutter, babbling and whimpering. I will win the sprint if I have to force you into oncoming traffic. I will crest this hill first if I have to grab your seat post, and spray energy drink in your eyes.

"I'm on my beater bike"
Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than helium and costs more than a Porsche.

"It's not that hilly"
Translation: This climb lasts longer than a 5-Day Test Match. Be careful on the steep sections or you'll fall over -- backward. You have a 39x23 low gear? Here's the name of my knee surgeon.

"You're doing great, honey"
Translation: I'd like to get home before midnight.

"This is a no-drop ride"
Translation: I'll need an article of your clothing for the search-and-rescue dogs.

"It's not that far"
Translation: Bring your passport

"I'm not doing much..."
Translation: more than 500-600km a week

"You'll be OK in 'A' grade"
Translation: this ought to give me something to laugh about for the rest of the week!

"just sit in the bunch and you'll be alright"
Translation: The bunch will make you do your turn for the 90km headwind section of the ride!

"I don't race any more"
Translation: I found I couldn't keep up with the 'A' grade guys anymore so I just found a local bunch ride of old farts to ride with so I can still get a win every weekend!

Missed one:

"I'm going to focus on the shorter events this year" - I've been on the turps every night through winter and have put on 20kg, so I'm going to turn up to club racing only when there's kierins on.....

Missed the financial controller bypass speak (such as the one Dutchy tried to pull on us earlier in the week):

"this new gidget will save money in the long run"
Translation: I want new toys and need a good excuse

"I got it free from a guy on the internet"
Translation: I swapped it for beers at the goat

"I'm just borrowing it from ..."
Translation: My mate also likes to play this game and can be counted on as an albi.

SuzieB said:
Stolen from the triathlon forums at http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=13821

"I'm not very fit"
Translation: I ride 600Ks a week and haven't missed a day since Bob won the election. I replace my 11-tooth cog more often than you wash your undies. My body fat percentage is lower than your mortgage rate.

Translation: I will attack until you collapse in the gutter, babbling and whimpering. I will win the sprint if I have to force you into oncoming traffic. I will crest this hill first if I have to grab your seat post, and spray energy drink in your eyes.

"I'm on my beater bike"
Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than helium and costs more than a Porsche.

"It's not that hilly"
Translation: This climb lasts longer than a 5-Day Test Match. Be careful on the steep sections or you'll fall over -- backward. You have a 39x23 low gear? Here's the name of my knee surgeon.

"This is a no-drop ride"
Translation: I'll need an article of your clothing for the search-and-rescue dogs.

"It's not that far"

"I'm not doing much..."

Translation: this ought to give me something to laugh about for the rest of the week!

Translation: The bunch will make you do your turn for the 90km headwind section of the ride!

"I don't race any more"
Translation: I found I couldn't keep up with the 'A' grade guys anymore so I just found a local bunch ride of old farts to ride with so I can still get a win every weekend!
"I am just popping out for a short recovery ride" (said this to the missus more then once)
Translation: You wont see me for at least 3-4 hours, unless you come past my favorite cafe

SuzieB said:

"I'm not very fit"

"I'm on my beater bike"

"It's not that hilly"

"This is a no-drop ride"

"It's not that far"

"I'm not doing much..."

"I don't race any more"
nice..... needed a good laugh..... wife found the one "You're doing great Honey", she hit me and said, so that is what you were really saying.... :)