Commonwealth games predictions.

Jack-o

Feb 19, 2006
Hi everyone,
Just interested to hear if anyone has any predictions for the Commonwealth Games track racing.
How do you rate the recent performances of the Meares sisters and Ryan Bayley?
Can Ben Kersten mount a challenge to Chris Hoy or Jason Quealy in the kilo?

I'll start things off.
Ryan B. is obviously nowhere near the fitness he had at Athens, however, Who else could challenge him even now? Maybe the Malaysian fellow, Mr. Ng could have a crack.

The Meares sisters are amazingly talented but they too seem to be lacking at the moment. I don't think they will challenge Vicky Pendleton too much. BUT, I will be very happy if they can rise to the occaision. 1st VP, 2nd AM, 3rd KM.

I think Ben Kersten will be good for second behind Hoy. I also hope he doubles up in the sprint too as he could suprise a few. 1st CH, 2nd BK, 3rd JQ.

Team sprint? Aussies first, Brits second?

What about pursuit predictions??? zzzzzzzz....sorry fell asleep.:)

Will anyone top Magee's 4.16 for 4000m days after finishing the Tour de France?

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

gb riders will win loads
good luck to emma jones (nee Davies) coming back from a broken spine
the scottish team sprint squad look strong

fergie said:
Will anyone top Magee's 4.16 for 4000m days after finishing the Tour de France?

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach
Rob Hayles will be the only one with a chance after watching him at the Sydney World Cup

velodrome.co.nr said:
mcgee isnt riding the commonwealths fdj wont let him
In cyclingnews.com Ryan Bayley is reported to have set his fastest times ever in a recent training session.

i hope mr bayley has coz at the world cup in la he wasnt exactly setting the track on fire.

i think josiah ng from malaysia might surprise a few people, he was pretty impressive in the keirin at the aussie madison champs a few weeks ago. btw saw the malaysian team ride past work this morning, they looked good in their orange and black gear

Kilo
1. Hoy
2. Queally
3. Kersten

Sprint
1. MacLean
2. Kersten
3. Bayley

Team sprint
1. Scotland
2. England
3. Australia

We putting some money on this ??

;-)

Lee Povey said:
Sprint
1. MacLean
2. Kersten
3. Bayley

;-)
Correct me if I'm wrong....but I don't think Ben Kersten is in the sprint.

I notice no-one is predicting a keirin result...probably 'cause it's such a lottery...How about, 1st Bayley, 2nd Hoy, 3rd MacLean

good to see kersten get up in the kilo, i knew hoy to be a fast starter but i didnt expect him to crack like he did in the 2nd half

1 Ben Kersten (Australia) 1.01.815 (58.238 km/h)
2 Jason Queally (England) 1.01.849
3 Chris Hoy (Scotland) 1.02.071

the english dominated the individual pursuit with manning surprising hayles who lost all the time in the final 2km

Finals

For bronze

3 Steven Cummings (England) 4.24.767 (54.387 km/h)
4 Jason Allen (New Zealand) 4.30.319

For gold and silver

1 Paul Manning (England) 4.23.799
2 Rob Hayles (England) 4.28.616

and finally didnt anna do well, flashbacks to the olympics needing a record to win and then coming out to do it

1 Anna Meares (Australia) 34.326 (52.438 km/h) *Games Record
2 Victoria Pendleton (England) 34.662
3 Kerrie Meares (Australia) 35.210

i think the aussies will struggle in the teams pursuit as both english and new zealand riders did better qualifying than mark and peter

when eddy ruled said:
i think the aussies will struggle in the teams pursuit as both english and new zealand riders did better qualifying than mark and peter
Definitely. Bronze would be the best we could aim for based on the IP results.

Jack-o said:
Correct me if I'm wrong....but I don't think Ben Kersten is in the sprint.
I notice no-one is predicting a keirin result...probably 'cause it's such a lottery...How about, 1st Bayley, 2nd Hoy, 3rd MacLean
Kersten still has the keirin tonight and the scratch race.
Im tipping Shane Kelly to cause an upset in tonights Keirin final.

Lasalles said:
Kersten still has the keirin tonight and the scratch race.
Im tipping Shane Kelly to cause an upset in tonights Keirin final.
Texted Hayden Godfrey after the Kilo (5th in 1.03.9). He was happy with a PB and good warm up for the Teams Pursuit. Noted that he clearly paced himself for the ride and Kersten won it with a good last lap. The fast starting British riders seemed to fade badly after good first 500s. So where do we stand on pacing for a Kilo?

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

Chris Hoy faded for the 1st time in a kilo!
I dont think that meant he got it wrong, I just think he had a bad night and Kersten had a great one.
Remember the 1,2 and 3 in the Olympics were also 1, 2 and 3 in their respective first lap times.
Watching Ben's ride yesturday he didnt look to be pacing himself!
He just died less than the other two and totaly deserved his win.

P.S.

Bayley is back! Cracking Kierin final.

Lee

fergie said:
Texted Hayden Godfrey after the Kilo (5th in 1.03.9). He was happy with a PB and good warm up for the Teams Pursuit. Noted that he clearly paced himself for the ride and Kersten won it with a good last lap. The fast starting British riders seemed to fade badly after good first 500s. So where do we stand on pacing for a Kilo?

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach
I don't know yet, but from the little I saw on the TV, it looked like (I could be wrong, but will find out from Marv when he gets home) the British got their gearing wrong. All rode too small a gear. Their technique fell apart at the higher cadence needed for their gear choice and they lactated badly after 1.5 laps and just blew apart. Their race was finished after the 375m mark and going down hill from there. Kersten did pace his kilo. Take note of how he rode the straights compered to the bends; the slight variations in the tranistions into & out of each bend. You can not judge a pacing effort from split times only - all riders will fade.

Graham McA said:
I don't know yet, but from the little I saw on the TV, it looked like (I could be wrong, but will find out from Marv when he gets home) the British got their gearing wrong. All rode too small a gear. Their technique fell apart at the higher cadence needed for their gear choice and they lactated badly after 1.5 laps and just blew apart. Their race was finished after the 375m mark and going down hill from there. Kersten did pace his kilo. Take note of how he rode the straights compered to the bends; the slight variations in the tranistions into & out of each bend. You can not judge a pacing effort from split times only - all riders will fade.
if thats the case then that'll cause some shouting in the gb camp
they are very precise about details and a slip up like that could mean heads will roll!

didnt the brits put the wrong size gear on jonny clay in the team pursuit final a few years ago at the worlds??? i seem to remember reading about it

once is a mistake, twice is unforgiveable