Commonwealth Games Road Race viewing spots?

Mouse Potato

Jun 26, 2003
Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions on good spots for viewing the Commonwealth Games Road Races this Sunday?

I've seen the map and I've read the course description, but not knowing the area I figure I need all the help I can get!

Thanks!

MP

Mouse Potato said:
Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions on good spots for viewing the Commonwealth Games Road Races this Sunday?

I've seen the map and I've read the course description, but not knowing the area I figure I need all the help I can get!

Thanks!

MP
My pick, (secret!!) Is the corner of Anderson st and domain rd, There is a row of cafes wher you can sit and watch plus you can find some shade under a tree in the botanical gardens. Also, coming up anderson St is a good place for an attack! Honestly, anywhere near the botanical garderns will make great viewing.

The best tactical spot will be at the top of Punt Rd Hill, because this is one ***** of a hill (very short tho), unfortunately there's not much room, just the foot path.

Jono

Jono L said:
My pick, (secret!!) Is the corner of Anderson st and domain rd, There is a row of cafes wher you can sit and watch plus you can find some shade under a tree in the botanical gardens. Also, coming up anderson St is a good place for an attack! Honestly, anywhere near the botanical garderns will make great viewing.

The best tactical spot will be at the top of Punt Rd Hill, because this is one ***** of a hill (very short tho), unfortunately there's not much room, just the foot path.

Jono

Hi Jono,

Thanks very much for the information!

I'm glad you mentioned cafes... I missed out on the time trials on Tuesday (had to go back to Sydney), so I'm planning on spending the whole day at the road races to get my cycling fix. That'll mean at least one heavy-duty caffeine fix too. :D

For the women's race I think I'll start off at the start line (never seen a road race start live!), then after the gun trundle down to your suggested location. It looks like there'd be plenty of time to do that, but there's one way to find out!

Cheers,

MP

i agree with jono, somewhere on punt rd hill would be awesome, at least they wont go past too fast. if you can, maybe get down there today or early tomorrow and have a look around and see where looks good.

when eddy ruled said:
i agree with jono, somewhere on punt rd hill would be awesome, at least they wont go past too fast. if you can, maybe get down there today or early tomorrow and have a look around and see where looks good.
Thanks! :)

I'd like to take a look around, but I'm in Sydney and won't get to Melbourne until Saturday arvo (work commitments). I then have a couple of appointments before the evening's athletics. So hopefully a quick recce really early Sunday morning will be good enough!

Mouse Potato said:
Thanks! :)

I'd like to take a look around, but I'm in Sydney and won't get to Melbourne until Saturday arvo (work commitments). I then have a couple of appointments before the evening's athletics. So hopefully a quick recce really early Sunday morning will be good enough!
Yeh there'll be plenty of time to cruise around.

Jono

Hey Jono & when_eddy_ruled,

Many thanks for your viewing suggestions!

Anderson St/Domain Rd was definitely a good spot. Scoped it out during the women's race, then hung around there for 3 circuits of the men's. Great view of riders approaching down Anderson St, then swinging around onto Birdwood Ave! The field was sufficiently fragmented that there were often riders coming past, and the camera crew on the roundabout let all us nosey parkers use their monitor as a sort-of TV when they weren't actively filming (thanks guys ;)).

Punt Hill Rd was very good too, at the base with lots of ways to watch, and near the top at the interaction of Domain Rd and the 'round the block' bit. And I liked the climb up Darling St onto Domain Rd where a lot of riders really gave it a go. And the U-turn near Chapel St where they slowed enough to get a good (non-whoosh) look. And lots of other places!

I had a great time. I can hardly walk now due to blisters on my blisters (had sore feet before the day started, walked the course twice and didn't sit down between 7am and 7pm) but it was worth it. So... when's the next one?!? :D