Community Support Officer Leaps in to action

Rola

Guest
Last night on the way to my 10, a selfish WMV very nearly "skelped"[1]
me with his van... for the sake of a few milliseconds. When he had
passed me, I could see that he was also speaking on his mobile.

Ok, no gestures or shouts from me... it's 18:00 and I'm prepared for the
****, but as he turns a corner with me following, a passing community
support officer is walking the beat on t'other side of the road. She
shouts "oi.. get off the phone". I say to her "don't just shout at him..
he's breaking the law". In response, she says "you're right.. I'll have
a word". The twunt in the van had only parked outside his house. It gave
me the opportunity to remind him that he is indeed an ****... and made
sure that the CSO did indeed have a word.

I take it CSO's have the power to report such crimes :)

[1] I'm getting down with the kids!

Rola wrote:
> Last night on the way to my 10, a selfish WMV very nearly "skelped"[1]
>
> [1] I'm getting down with the kids!

Kids? "Skelped" is a very old Scottish word. As in "I'll skelp your lug".
I suppose that these days though "minging" is claimed as a street word
invented by hip young people - not the Lowland Scottish slang which it
really is. Ah well.

On 1 Jun, 09:50, John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote:
> invented by hip young people - not the Lowland Scottish slang which it
> really is. Ah well.

It's been in forces use for donkey's years through it's scottish
origin.
TerryJ

Rola said the following on 01/06/2007 09:37:

> [1] I'm getting down with the kids!

More like getting down with David Chase on his rather dodgy cycling
exploits. Was a belt involved? :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

in message <[email protected]>, John
Hearns ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Rola wrote:
>> Last night on the way to my 10, a selfish WMV very nearly "skelped"[1]
>>
>> [1] I'm getting down with the kids!

> Kids? "Skelped" is a very old Scottish word. As in "I'll skelp your lug".
> I suppose that these days though "minging" is claimed as a street word
> invented by hip young people - not the Lowland Scottish slang which it
> really is. Ah well.

They're both Lallans, for sure, but I don't think anyone could call either
slang.

Simon Brooke wrote:

> They're both Lallans, for sure, but I don't think anyone could call either
> slang.

Thanks for that! If I ever have to take my English Higher again I can
now say that I'm using a dialect, not slang :)
Up to my oxters in it, as usual....

Simon Brooke wrote on 01/06/2007 11:46 +0100:

> They're both Lallans, for sure, but I don't think anyone could call either
> slang.

"I suggest that this is off-topic here.

Yes, it's interesting. But interesting words are used in Britain every
single day, and we cannot discuss every one of them;
furthermore, no-one involved is cycling." ;-)

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote on 01/06/2007 11:46 +0100:
>>
>> They're both Lallans, for sure, but I don't think anyone could call
>> either slang.
>>

> "I suggest that this is off-topic here.
>
> Yes, it's interesting. But interesting words are used in Britain every
> single day, and we cannot discuss every one of them;
> furthermore, no-one involved is cycling." ;-)

I would say 'touche', but that, of course, would be off-topic.

;; All in all you're just another nick in the ball
-- Think Droid