Commute and cumulative TSS

Iktome

Nov 1, 2005
I have a 25-minute commute (each way) that I do every day regardless of weather and stage of training. I've only done it once with a power meter and it accumulates approximately 20 TSS points each way.

Does it make sense to include these 40 points/day in my cumulative training load? Or is it simply too little to have any real effect on my training stress?

Do any other commuters try to include their commutes in their cumulative TSS?

Iktome said:
I don't see why you wouldn't. It's certainly part of the cycling stress your body faces. You say it's "too little", but it's not like 40 is some huge number of TSS points. It sounds like a fair reflection of 50 minutes of moderate-paced riding.

I would suggest including it, but realize that while those commutes may add to your training stress, they don't necessarily add to your performance. IOW, keep in mind that it is called training stress score (TSS), not training performance score (TPS). Keeping track of TSS can be useful in maximizing performance, but the composition of that TSS is important.

acoggan said:
I would suggest including it, but realize that while those commutes may add to your training stress, they don't necessarily add to your performance. IOW, keep in mind that it is called training stress score (TSS), not training performance score (TPS). Keeping track of TSS can be useful in maximizing performance, but the composition of that TSS is important.
yes -- if it's not at least L4 for that duration -- it likely isn't adding much to your fitness :)

I solve this by:
(a) Riding very easily - making it L1 and very low TSS (close to round-off for the week); or
(b) Taking the long route and making the morning ride an hour tempo. Evening ride much longer of course ....

Option (b) is usually preferred.

I include it, especially when I am doing sprint intervals or other short duration workouts during my commute.

I trained a female triathlete. She began with me, with no racing background.

She had between 200 and 250k of comuting per week, that was a pain in the neck for planning.

So I guess I usually include everything in the weekly total stress.

And that can sometimes make me swear. Triathletes that do plyometric on the side, or a soccer game with friends, once a week.

My commuting TSS is usually from 84 to 100 (the most). 35 miles round trip. Total riding time is about 2 hours and 30 minutes. So, my commute TSS is somewhat significant. IF is about .66. So, extend your commuting distance if have to increase your TSS.

Iktome said:
I have a 25-minute commute (each way) that I do every day regardless of weather and stage of training. I've only done it once with a power meter and it accumulates approximately 20 TSS points each way.

Does it make sense to include these 40 points/day in my cumulative training load? Or is it simply too little to have any real effect on my training stress?

I would include them. I have a commute that takes about 25 minutes each way if I spend it in the upper end of L4 or the lower end of L5. I can total in between 70 and 90 points depending on the route home and hard I go. IF ranges from .94 to 1.1 and it has made a tremendous difference in my fitness.

My commute is about 50 minutes each way, mainly because of traffic lights. It accumulates about 130-140 TSS with an IF .85-.9. I basically use the lights to practice my jumps and I don't commute every day because I need some steady state time. The ratio of NP/AP ranges from 1.22 to 1.5.

So yep I count that stress.

Phil