Commute Macclesfield/Bollington - Manchester

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Dear All

    Hi

    I'm about to go and live in Bollington near Macclesfield and I work in Manchester.

    Does anyone in here do this commute??

    Any tips?

    Ta

    David

    Tags:

  2. > Hi

    > I'm about to go and live in Bollington near Macclesfield and I work in
    Manchester.

    > Does anyone in here do this commute??

    I presume because you are posting this, that you will be cycling. There are lots of routes into the
    city centre, and the Middlewood Way (NCN 55) is quite a well surfaced cycle path for the most part
    that passes through Bollington and will take you to Marple near Stockport - might be worth a look.
    The A6 through Stockport is usually busy, but parts of it have a priority bus/cycle lane. Probably
    worth checking some of the roads out before starting your commute.

    Ric

  3. >Any tips?

    It's hilly ;-) Well, from what I remember from a visit there years ago.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Mikebam

    Mikebam Guest

    "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dear All
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm about to go and live in Bollington near Macclesfield and I work in
    Manchester.

    > Does anyone in here do this commute??
    >
    > Any tips?
    >
    > Ta
    >
    > David

    Hi David, I assume when you say "commute" on this group, you do mean using your bike. If so then
    agree with Richard - the A6 around Hazel Grove/Stockport can be a nightmare. I live in Gatley near
    the Airport so no direct experience but had a colleague who used a variety of the less direct
    routes(through Reddish on the other side of Stockport) from Poynton to avoid the A6. We work/ed on
    the east side of Manchester(West Gorton) so not as bad as city centre traffic. I use the A34
    Kingsway from Gatley and, if heading straight into town centre, is not a bad route(wide road) apart
    from the junction with the M60 sliproads. You can make your way across to this road via Handforth -
    avoid the A34(T) bypass - and across to Palatine road(B5093) and come in past the university. This
    has more cycle routes, "Bicycle Doctor" - plug - if bits required and a surface more suited to MTB's
    than lightweight kit. None of the direct main roads are "cycle friendly" IMO from Hazel Grove
    onwards. I use a trike most of the time to keep the marauding hordes off my back and this works most
    of the time. Drop me a line if you need more info.

    Mike

  5. W K

    W K Guest

    "mikebam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > You can make your way across to this road via Handforth - avoid the A34(T) bypass - and across to
    > Palatine road(B5093) and come in past the
    university.

    I've cycled past the university exactly once. Lots of wobbly cyclists, milling pedestrians, and so
    much "visual noise" that a truck drove straight in front of me.

    I'd prefer to be riding on a six lane road with people doing 70 mph.

  6. Kate

    Kate Guest

    [email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >Any tips?
    >
    > It's hilly ;-) Well, from what I remember from a visit there years ago.
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > This is sent from a redundant email Mail sent to it is dumped My correct one can be gleaned from
    > h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    > overdependence on money and fame
    > ~~~~~~~~~~

    I don't commute this but have cycled it or something similar a couple of times - I think a fast, and
    quite pleasant (though may be worse in rush hour) way is probably to head through Adlington then
    Dean Row then Styal and straight up through Gatley (B5166) and up Princess Parkway into town. I'm
    not very fast and this takes me getting on for 2 hours - must be 20 miles or a bit more. The only
    slightly hilly bit is coming out of Bollington towards Adlington. I did this as the second half of a
    loop from Manchester going out via Marple and the Middlewood Way, which I thought was much slower
    and was definitely hillier.

    It'd be a fair old commute!

    Kate

  7. Graham Steel

    Graham Steel Guest

    My wife commutes by car from Macclesfield to Wilmslow: the road through Prestbury and Mottram St
    Andrew. She gets annoyed with cyclists because it is a narrow windy road and difficult to overtake.
    Much as I love to encourage cycling, I don't think this route is a good one.

    Graham
    --
    Graham Steel: [email protected] Web: http://www.steelworks.org.uk

  8. Simon Galgut

    Simon Galgut Guest

    "Graham Steel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My wife commutes by car from Macclesfield to Wilmslow: the road through Prestbury and Mottram St
    > Andrew. She gets annoyed with cyclists because it is a narrow windy road and difficult to
    > overtake. Much as I love to encourage cycling, I don't think this route is a good one.

    Oh dear, I'd better never cycle that road again then - I wouldn't want to hold up Mrs Steel on her
    terribly important journey to her terribly important job. The road is certainly not narrow as roads
    around this area go, and if Mrs Steel gets annoyed so easily perhaps she should seek councelling.

    Regards Simon (who commutes Congleton/Manchester and has on occasions gone via Macc for a change)

  9. daztoon

    daztoon New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2003
    David,

    I commute from manchester to Macclesfield every day and have used all the various routes. If you don't mind a bit of traffic then the A523 to Stockport and then the A6 to manchester is probably the fastest route, but like I say, it gets a LOT of traffic.

    A much more pleasant route (and not that much slower) is the B5358 to Handforth, which you then follow all the way to Cheadle (crossing the A34). From Cheadle then take the B5095 to Didsbury and then either go through the centre of Didsbury on Wilsmlow Road to Manchester or go along the A34 (Kingsway). If you go on the Macclesfield to Wilmslow road then keep an eye out for Mrs Steel as she's usually in a hurry and doesn't like cyclists apparently.

    HTH,

    Darren.

  10. D Hall

    D Hall Guest

    [email protected] (Graham Steel) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My wife commutes by car from Macclesfield to Wilmslow: the road through Prestbury and Mottram St
    > Andrew. She gets annoyed with cyclists because it is a narrow windy road and difficult to
    > overtake. Much as I love to encourage cycling, I don't think this route is a good one.
    >
    > Graham

    Absolute rubbish! There are two roads from Macclesfield to Wilmslow and both of them (A538 & Bonis
    Hall Lane) have plenty of room for cyclists. I commute along Bonis Hall Lane every day and whilst I
    come across the odd irate driver (probably your wife!) I've never held anyone up for longer than
    about 20 seconds before they could pass safely.

    Here's a quick tip. Usually if I get an irate driver honking their horn and driving a few feet
    behind, I'll cycle further out from the kerb in order to discourage them from passing too closely
    and forcing me into the gutter. If on the other hand, a driver keeps back and is patient, I'll often
    move closer to the kerb when it's safe too allow cars to pass. Tell your wife to be more patient and
    she may get where she's going that little bit quicker.

  11. Never done it as a commute but have done this journey hundreds of times and fully agree with what
    Daztoon says. The Cheadle route is especially good. As for the A6, you soon get used to heavy
    traffic and from SK town centre to MCR it's possible to do the trip on quieter residential streets
    (see A-Z). From Bollington, where I lived, the "back" route along Adlington Rd and Sugar Lane is
    more direct and picturesque tho with some steep hills; also, it gives the option of getting the
    train from Adlington (when the railway is in service again, that is). Note that train fairs within
    the former Greater Manchester are subsidised so, e.g. Hazel Grove/Middlewood to Manchester cheap day
    return is only £2.30 or so. There are plenty of trains HG-MCR but fewer stop at Middlewood stn.
    Middlewood Way can get messy in the rain.