Commute/road/shopping bike?

Prokhyus

Mar 31, 2020
Hello everyone.
I'm getting more and more into cycling, but my knowledge is fairly limited, so I really get overwhelmed whenever I want to start gearing myself up for this.
Here is the situation, I want a new bike, but I don't know which one :
1 - I use my bike everyday for my commute rainy or sunny days. This kind of equals to 60-90 mins everyday. Only on paved streets, but I still have quite an insane bridge to climb up, so I do want my modifying speeds.
2 - I loveeeee biking. So I do decide to go out at nights or during the weekend for long 2-3-4 hours rides. Once again, mainly staying on the streets/cycling roads, but it does happen that the path becomes rocky or muddy. Hence, I'd prefer to stay away from a racing/pure road bike.
3 - As much as I can, I do most of my shopping (groceries and general small buying needs) with my bike. Furthermore, I do plan on starting to go camping with it as well. Therefore, I do need something that can hold on quite a bit of cargo. I'd say around 10-20 pounds minimum, with space to put a panier or bike bags on the back and maybe in the front as well.

After all that, I'm wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what to buy or look for?
I'm still new, so I don't want a pro bike, but I'd prefer to stay away from anything cheap considering how much I will use it. I'd figure that between 1000$-2000$ would be a nice budget?

Thank you all in advance :)

If you don't want a road bike, then why not a gravel bike? or a cyclocross bike? Actually the reality is the two actually intertwine.

Really nice cyclocross bikes, and pretty easy to find in most cities are the Cannondale CAADX, and the Topstone both with 105 components, they're on the higher side of price spectrum but worth checking out.

I don't have time to scour the internet so maybe someone else can come up with a better bike, but those two that I did mention are the only ones I could find that came with 105 components which are extremely good components and will last a very long time.

Reactions: Prokhyus
I'm not necessarily closed to road bikes! (I'm still new to the terminology)
But I figure if I go for this type, a Touring Road bike would fit me better? While it can go off road a bit (not for miles, but still)

I didn't even know about cyclocross and gravel bikes. They're worth a look.
Thanks a lot :)

YES! A touring bike is a superbe option if you want to tour on a bike.

You need to research the best touring bikes to see which bike will fit your needs the best. I have done this research myself, and after quite a bit of research I settled on the Masi Giramondo 700c, why? because it was the best deal for under $1,500! It comes tubeless ready rims which I don't want to deal with on a tour but that's another story for another time. The tire size that comes with the bike is 45c and that can go down to 38 or up to a 60! which for touring is much too wide in my opinion, in fact I will probably run on 38's since my old touring bike was 32 and never had any issues loaded even on gravel, so 38 will be more than fine for me. The bike also comes with the best gear range for climbing mountain roads while loaded. Also they provide the best touring racks made, steel Tubus racks front and rear, these racks are rated for 80 pounds of weight...not that I will come anywhere near that but I know they won't break like I seen aluminum racks break. It also has dual piston mechanical disk brakes which are easier to maintain on the road than hydraulic, and the dual piston works better than single piston, and they put on a slightly larger front rotor then other companies do. Also this bike wasn't as heavy as most, if not all the others in that price range of under $2,000; and some don't come with bottle cage bosses on the fork.

Instead of me typing away like an insane ape, just read this: https://masibikes.com/products/giramondo-700c-2020

Also read this, now this site talks about the Masi Giramondo 27.5, this bike is the same bike except made for off road touring, but it doesn't come with the racks; see: https://www.theadventurejunkies.com/best-touring-bikes/
Of course that's just one site of many and each have their different opinions, and I looked at ALL of those sites and eliminated those that didn't fit the bill, the only other bike I was considering after eliminations was the Kona Sutra, which was rated very high as well.

Anyway just research them all then by process of elimination you'll find your idea bike.

You are amazing :D! Thank you a thousand times for this information and I will look/read the sites you offered.
Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Glad I could help you, just let me know on this thread which bike you decide on and why, I would be interested in knowing. Thanks.

If I were you, I'd get a bike for touring, camping, cycling etc but I would keep my old bike.

I don't think I'd want to leave a $2,000 bike outside of a grocery store. Seems like every lock has it's deficiency stopping thieves.

Just my opinion living in California. If you live in Mayberry it may be very different for you. :D

unnamed (1).jpg

When I go bike camping I take a simple, lightweight, small space, security cable (I think it's 12mm thick, these are cheap about $12), I then have a medium duty combination padlock from Master lock, that cost me about $18. I then lock the bike up to the park bench where I camp. Of course a cable lock isn't design to withhold much of an attack but I'm sleeping right next to the bike, someone messing with it I'm going to hear them. If I go to a store to get something I lock the bike up with the same lock, but I still keep my eye on it as much as possible. Most camping places are safe, but that doesn't mean you can be reckless, and most people won't bother a bike with touring equipment on it, that's like stealing your camper, they know you need that stuff and will leave it alone, but again it's not a guarantee they'll leave it alone.

I never buy a horribly expensive bike anyways, the most expensive one I got was Lynskey but it was the lowest costing one they had and it was a closeout model sale, but that one I never take anywhere that I need to lock it up. But the Masi touring bike is about 1/2 the cost of the Lynskey, so a simple lock like what I use works fine, that cable locking method I've been doing for over 40 years with the same cable, I did change the lock to a combo one because I didn't want to be worried about losing the key.

Also don't buy those cable locks that come with a combo cable and built in tube shaped roller wheels combo lock, I was able to open one of those in less than a minute without breaking the lock, so stay far away from those.

Hey there! Sounds like you've got a pretty solid bike security setup for your camping trips. It's definitely important to have some form of deterrent, even if it's not the most heavy-duty one out there. Plus, being next to your bike while you sleep adds an extra layer of protection. Smart move!

When it comes to running errands, sticking to the same lock is a good idea. Consistency is key, right? Just be sure to lock it up nice and tight, and keep an eye out for any suspicious characters. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks for sharing your setup, it's always interesting to hear what works for fellow cyclists. Keep pedaling strong and happy camping! ‍♂️

Sounds like you're after a reliable and efficient machine for your daily commute and weekend adventures! For your needs, I'd suggest checking out endurance road bikes with decent climbing gears. Brands like Trek, Specialized, and Giant offer great options. Don't forget to consider factors like comfort, durability, and budget. Happy biking! :)

Based on your requirements, I would recommend a hybrid or endurance road bike. These types of bikes strike a balance between speed and comfort, making them suitable for daily commutes and longer rides.

Hybrid bikes, such as the Trek FX or Giant Escape, are versatile and offer a comfortable riding position. They are designed for paved surfaces and can handle various terrains, including bridges and hills.

Endurance road bikes, like the Specialized Roubaix or Cannondale Synapse, are built for long distances and have a more relaxed geometry than traditional road bikes. They are lightweight and efficient, allowing for easier climbing and faster speeds.

In terms of components, look for a bike with a wide range of gears to help with the climbing. Shimano and SRAM are reputable manufacturers known for their reliable and durable drivetrains.

Lastly, consider your budget, as bike prices can vary significantly. Keep in mind that you may also need to invest in accessories such as a helmet, lock, and lights.

I hope this helps you make an informed decision!

Don't forget to factor in your budget, as bike prices can vary significantly. And remember to allocate funds for essential accessories such as a helmet, lock, and lights to ensure your safety on the road.

Happy cycling! ‍♂️

Absolutely, budget is indeed a crucial factor when considering a new bike. But let's not forget the long-term costs of cycling, such as maintenance and repairs. These can add up quickly, so it's essential to factor them into your budget as well.

In addition, while safety accessories like helmets, locks, and lights are non-negotiable, there are other items that can enhance your cycling experience. For instance, cycling shoes and clipless pedals can improve your pedaling efficiency, while bike computers can help you track your speed, distance, and other metrics.

However, it's important to avoid getting caught up in the latest gear and accessories. Remember, the most important aspect of cycling is the joy and freedom it brings, regardless of how much or how little you spend on equipment.

So, lace up those sneakers (or cycling shoes), adjust your helmet, and hit the road. The world is your playground, and the wind is at your back. Safe and happy cycling! ‍♀️

"Oh, absolutely, let's throw in every accessory under the sun to ensure an 'optimal' cycling experience. Can't forget those $300 cycling shoes and $500 bike computer. Priorities, people!"

"And don't forget, the latest gear will not only drain your wallet but also make you a cycling prodigy on the road. Safety? Pfft, who needs a helmet when you have the coolest bike bell on the market!"

"But hey, at least you'll look great while pushing your bike to the repair shop. Happy cycling!"

"Exactly, who needs safety when you can have style? Soon, cyclists will be swapping helmets for fashionable berets. Look out, Paris, here comes the peloton of hipsters! �� bicycle, ��� beret"

Who says safety can't be stylish? Soon, cyclists will be swapping helmets for fashionable berets and breaking records with their wind-resistant hairstyles! ‍♀️ Sure, it might be a bit dangerous, but just think of the Instagram potential! #bikeberets #pelotonposeur

Cycling in berets? Sure, why not. But let's not forget that safety should always come first. A stylish helmet is a thing too, you know. And as for breaking records, well, that takes more than just a fashionable hat. It requires dedication, hard work, and most importantly, skill.

So, if you're serious about cycling, I'd suggest focusing on improving your technique and building up your endurance, rather than worrying about your hairstyle. And if you're more concerned about Instagram likes than actual performance, then maybe cycling isn't the sport for you. Just sayin'.

But hey, if you still want to rock a beret on your next ride, go for it. Just don't expect it to make you a better cyclist. And definitely don't forget to wear a real helmet. Safety first, fashion later.

:clap: Keep on pedaling, folks.

"Cycling in style, yes, but don't neglect the grit. It's not just about looking the part, it's about putting in the work. A beret might turn heads, but it's your sweat and determination that'll truly leave a mark. Safety first, fashion later. \*thumbs up\*"

Couldn't agree more! While cycling in style is a joyous ride, don't forget the thrill of a good, muddy challenge. A splash of grit adds flavor to the cycling experience, just like a dash of hot sauce to a meal. Sure, a beret might be chic, but a helmet is the true fashion statement for cyclists - it's both practical and says, "I take my safety seriously." And let's not forget the cycling tan lines - the ultimate badge of honor! :grinning:

While I see where you're coming from, I can't help but disagree. Sure, safety is important, but let's not forget that cycling is also about freedom and embracing the elements. A bit of mud never hurt anyone, and it sure adds to the adventure!

As for tan lines, they're more of a rookie mistake than a badge of honor. Experienced cyclists know how to avoid them with proper sun protection. And let's not forget, style is a form of self-expression. Why limit yourself to just one fashion statement when you can have both a beret and a helmet?

Ultimately, cycling is about finding joy and excitement in the ride, whether it's a leisurely cruise or a muddy challenge. So let's not forget to embrace the full range of experiences that come with it!