Commute route - Blackburn to Parkville (Melb)

roshea

Guest
I really need to start some serious riding again, and commuting to work
seems like a good idea. Could any of you suggest reasonable routes
between Blackburn and Parkville area? I don't particularly mind whether
they are road, bike paths or a mixture.
Thanks!

I used to live in Mitcham, and just rode down the Maroondah
Hwy/Whitehorse Rd into town. If you're not comfortable around traffic,
you can skip north to the Eastern Fwy bike path though.

Bleve wrote:
> I used to live in Mitcham, and just rode down the Maroondah
> Hwy/Whitehorse Rd into town. If you're not comfortable around

traffic,
> you can skip north to the Eastern Fwy bike path though.

Thanks Bleve.

Traffic is not a huge problem, but bike lanes may help. I haven't
driven that way into the city in years, so I have no idea if there are
bike lanes on Maroondah/Whitehorse/Cotham. IIRC, Studley Park Rd and
Johnston St has bike lanes - am I right there?
Thanks

On 8 May 2005 05:59:19 -0700, "roshea" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Bleve wrote:
>> I used to live in Mitcham, and just rode down the Maroondah
>> Hwy/Whitehorse Rd into town. If you're not comfortable around

>traffic,
>> you can skip north to the Eastern Fwy bike path though.

>Thanks Bleve.
>
>Traffic is not a huge problem, but bike lanes may help. I haven't
>driven that way into the city in years, so I have no idea if there are
>bike lanes on Maroondah/Whitehorse/Cotham. IIRC, Studley Park Rd and
>Johnston St has bike lanes - am I right there?

I don't know, I never worried about them, sorry.

roshea said:
I really need to start some serious riding again, and commuting to work
seems like a good idea. Could any of you suggest reasonable routes
between Blackburn and Parkville area? I don't particularly mind whether
they are road, bike paths or a mixture.
Thanks!

This'll help a bit...

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bdarabug/other_resources/BUG_map_2.pdf

A Bleve mentioned, the Yarra trail (north side of freeway near blackburn Rd) will take you all the way in to Dights Fall, Collingwood. t this stage you'll probably want to leave river and keep heading west. i can give you more backstreet details/map if youre interested

flyingdutch said:
This'll help a bit...

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~bdarabug/other_resources/BUG_map_2.pdf

A Bleve mentioned, the Yarra trail (north side of freeway near blackburn Rd) will take you all the way in to Dights Fall, Collingwood. t this stage you'll probably want to leave river and keep heading west. i can give you more backstreet details/map if youre interested
Once you get to the Childrens' Farm in Collingwood (on the bike trail) you can take Johnstone Street right into Parkville. It's not too bad if you are commuting through bus-lane times.

ali

roshea said:
Traffic is not a huge problem, but bike lanes may help. I haven't
driven that way into the city in years, so I have no idea if there are
bike lanes on Maroondah/Whitehorse/Cotham. IIRC, Studley Park Rd and
Johnston St has bike lanes - am I right there?
Thanks

Youre worst spots are gonna be BoxHill to Union Rd, due to tight/mad rd and tramsuperstops (grrrr). Kew Junction is not much fun either, especially if you are going right, into StPRd, as often i see cars from rightlane go left or just no indicating(grrrr). AND hte tramtracks there are pretty bumpy/raised. The only times i have had snakebite punctures are making that turn!

there are no lanes until you get to top of hill/near BurkeHall/Walmer St and go down to Johnstone St. Traffic can be prety tight till you get near Hoddle, where as Alison says, the Buslane makes life much easier.
Its bloody stinky tho, as everyone is idling and you get to suck it all up.