Commute route - Blackburn to Parkville (Melb)

roshea

May 8, 2005
Hi. I posted this on aus.bicycle a few days ago but there isn't much action there - maybe this is the place.

I really need to start some serious riding again, and commuting to work
seems like a good idea. Could any of you suggest reasonable routes
between Blackburn and Parkville area? I don't particularly mind whether
they are road, bike paths or a mixture.
Thanks!

Hmm...that's a tricky one.

big difference: are you talking about peak hour?

I was a serious bike commuter for a few years, and I wouldn't go anywhere near those main roads between the east and the city.

I would try the path that seems to begin near the Springvale Rd and the Eastern Fwy intersection, (map 48 f5 of the 2002 Melway), and follows the freeway all the way to Chandler Hwy, then onto the city. It's obviously a slowish, indirect route, but all those "big" roads (Canterbury, Whitehorse, Belmore and Riversdale) are a complete nightmare during peak hour -- far too dangerous

I also frequently use the above mentioned route along Eastern FWY track and then along the Boulevard, followed by the track along the river into the city. It basically doubles the distance as compared to the road but other than the frequent 'dog off leash' incident it is much safer. It seems a pity that dedicated commuting tracks arent part of town planning policy. By this I mean tracks that follow arterial routes, not the meandering spaghetti juction of bike tracks that exist now. They are great for training but a pain for those of us that want to actually get somewhere on a regular basis.

I’ve been commuting for over ten years now (surprise to me!!) & the major motivation in commuting by bike for me is taking paths/tracks some of the more longer routes, away from vehicular traffic.
It might double your travel distance, but with a nouse for getting a good route together you can miss major intersections & get more time riding & less time waiting (for the lights to change, traffic to move out of your way etc).

I can’t really help you with a good route from Blackburn to Parkville, but don’t go opting out of a route just because it might go little here & there. Little things like over/under passes & paths that take you off roads can double the enjoyment & benefit you get outa cycling.
I used to live in St Albans & rode into the city, but because of that physical distance involved I took the most shortest route – roads, some major roads - & found I was getting into work all hoarse from the fumes, aside from the fact that I always had a drama to recount.

Thanks to all of you for the replies.

I used to do a lot of commuting on major roads but was riding against the traffic, which was fine. This route would be at peak times, so the freeway and river paths sound like a better option by far.