Commute Running

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Rhc, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Rhc

    Rhc Guest

    Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the logistics
    surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a magazine
    article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).

    Tags:

  2. Rc5

    Rc5 Guest

    I did it for several months before and couldn't solve two issues

    1. Sweating. I start sweating after 6-10 mins running. If there's no shower in work place, other
    people can smell.
    2. Conflict with breakfast. I used to have my breakfast at home. It doesn't feel good to run
    after the meal.

    It works for me only when the distance from home to work is less than 3km one way (15 mins), prefer
    news:[email protected]...

  3. In article <[email protected]>, rhc wrote:
    > Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the logistics
    > surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a magazine
    > article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).

    One of the posters here, Andrew Taylor, did this. He's probably too modest to say this, but he's a
    pretty good runner. I suggest you google for his posts in rec.running. Hopefully, he'll respond.

    Cheers,

  4. N_a_j

    N_a_j Guest

    [email protected] (rhc) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the logistics
    > surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a magazine
    > article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).

    I commute to work using my car and a commuter train. The total distance is about 12 miles. In 2003,
    I was training for an upcoming marathon, and figured that running home from the train station might
    be a good way to get in some training. That distance was about 6 miles. I had a North Face backpack
    that was extremely well-suited for running. It was not too big, and had waist and chest straps that
    eliminated bouncing. I would change after work and put my work clothes, shoes, and lunch sack into
    the pack. The total weight of the pack was about 10 lbs. The only real problem I had was stress on
    my knees from instantly adding 10 lbs. to my frame. You have to plan for weather and carry some form
    of hydration. I used the Ultimate Direction Quick-draw. Running to work is really not an option as I
    don't have any shower facilities, except for a health club located in the same complex as my work.
    It just seems like too much of a hassle.

  5. On 25 Jan 2004 15:35:51 -0800, [email protected] (N_A_J) wrote:

    >[email protected] (rhc) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the logistics
    >> surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a magazine
    >> article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).

    My wife and I only have one car. We usually don't need another one. I either take the bus home or
    she picks me up, since she works near by. The buses stop running at 6 pm, so I keep a set of running
    clothes at work for emergencies. If I have to work late and she is working later or has to go do
    something, I just change my clothes and hit the road. Total distance is 7 miles. I lock everything
    but my keys and security badge up in my desk. The next day I bring back in my spare running clothes
    and take the day before's work clothing home. Only problem is that the only way home is though less
    than desirable neighborhoods. Chris keeps telling me that one of these days someone is going to jump
    my skinny white ass, but I figure that all I will have to do are some mid-run pick-ups.

    Mark

  6. Joe

    Joe Guest

    > Only problem is that the only way home is though less than desirable neighborhoods. Chris keeps
    > telling me that one of these days someone is going to jump my skinny white ass, but I figure that
    > all I will have to do are some mid-run pick-ups.

    Realistically the "jumper" to be would not try and mug a runner. They're looking for someone weak,
    who won't put up a fight, and has something worth taking. You probably have a better chance of being
    struck by lightning during a thunderstorm than being jumped while running home from work.

    jOe

  7. Sam

    Sam Guest

    I have never tried this, but I think what you could do is plan to run to and from work a few days a
    week and transport clothes to and from on the days you drive.

    Showering is an issue; depending on where you work there might be a gym nearby that you could join
    and use the shower and walk to work.

    It might be an idea to run home if you can get a ride to work in the morning (a co-worker or friend
    who works near by).

    Cycling is probably easier since it is easier to carry stuff on the bike than while running.

    Good luck with the article

    --
    news:[email protected]...

  8. rhc wrote:
    > Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the logistics
    > surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a magazine
    > article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).

    I used to do it but I had access to showers and a locker. I'd bike to work with a backpack
    containing clothes and shower gear. Change into the clothes I'd brought, then at the end of the day,
    I'd put on my running stuff from the backpack and run home (sans backpack). Next morning, run back
    to work, shower and change into the clothes I'd left in the locker. Stuff everything into the
    backpack that night and bike home. I'd leave my work shoes at work all the time and use my running
    shoes for both biking and running. Mon-Thurs would be 2 two-day cycles of this, then take the day
    off on Friday and drive or just bike both ways. Distance was about 5 km.

    Neil

  9. Joe wrote:

    >>Only problem is that the only way home is though less than desirable neighborhoods. Chris keeps
    >>telling me that one of these days someone is going to jump my skinny white ass, but I figure that
    >>all I will have to do are some mid-run pick-ups.
    >

    > Realistically the "jumper" to be would not try and mug a runner. They're looking for someone weak,
    > who won't put up a fight, and has something worth taking. You probably have a better chance of
    > being struck by lightning during a thunderstorm than being jumped while running home from work.
    >
    > jOe

    not true. an acquaintance of mine was jumped and beat up pretty badly by some high school football
    types cruising in a car through a local park just because they were in the mood. this was late
    afternoon in a "nice" part of town.

    scott

    you're just a wave, you're not the water

  10. Jim Gravity

    Jim Gravity Guest

    [email protected] (rhc) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the logistics
    > surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a magazine
    > article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).

    I ran to work today, about 5.5miles. My wife and I work very close to eachother, so sometimes we
    trade. I put a bag in the car and run, she drives, and I change and shower at the gym (lucky enough
    to have one at work). Sometimes she rides or runs. Sometimes I run home this way. I have oatmeal and
    peanut butter at work in our conference room.

    In the summer I have a very lightweight backpack...actually a camel-back related thing, that I often
    use for commuting by bike. Without the bladder it's just big enough for clean clothes and a pair of
    shoes. I also have a pair of shoes at work. When the weather warms (boston) I'll start running with
    this backpack.

    At this point, all my miles are slow, base miles, working up to a decent mpw. Running to work in
    the morning is mostly a way to make sure I get my time to run before the work and social
    obligations pile up as the day goes on. Running mostly in the morning, slow runs, not more than an
    hour at most, before breakfast, doesn't tax the system too much. I hear the Kenyans do slow runs in
    the morning and do their fast runs in the evenings. When I start doing faster runs, I'll do those
    in the evening.

  11. Jim Gravity

    Jim Gravity Guest

    "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Only problem is that the only way home is though less than desirable neighborhoods. Chris keeps
    > > telling me that one of these days someone is going to jump my skinny white ass, but I figure
    > > that all I will have to do are some mid-run pick-ups.
    >
    > Realistically the "jumper" to be would not try and mug a runner. They're looking for someone weak,
    > who won't put up a fight, and has something worth taking. You probably have a better chance of
    > being struck by lightning during a thunderstorm than being jumped while running home from work.
    >
    > jOe

    I was mugged (attempted) while running home from work once. The kid was a little young, like 15 or
    so. It wasn't well thought out by any stretch of the imagination. His friend couldn't believe what
    was happening and stood mouth agape while we wrestled in the snow. The guy clotheslined/tackled me
    as I was running by in the opposite direction. We hit the ground hard and he started screaming "give
    my all your money". It was fast. I was fighting right away, there was no time for me even to decide
    not to fight, or to try to get away. I screamed curses back, and that I had no fn' money and why the
    f would I be carrying money while running, stupid mf'er? This was as I was simultaneously pounding
    on his kidney with my fist and trying to get to my feet. He got to his feet quicker than me and
    bounded out into fast-moving rush hour traffic. The other guy "ran" too. He was gravitationally
    challenged. I was lucky he didn't have a weapon.

    Yes, runners almost never carry anything of value, and could be a hard target to boot, but it can
    happen. Hopefully for that kid it was a learning experience.

  12. Rhc

    Rhc Guest

    Neil Gendzwill <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > rhc wrote:
    > > Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the
    > > logistics surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a
    > > magazine article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).
    >
    > I used to do it but I had access to showers and a locker. I'd bike to work with a backpack
    > containing clothes and shower gear. Change into the clothes I'd brought, then at the end of the
    > day, I'd put on my running stuff from the backpack and run home (sans backpack). Next morning, run
    > back to work, shower and change into the clothes I'd left in the locker. Stuff everything into the
    > backpack that night and bike home. I'd leave my work shoes at work all the time and use my running
    > shoes for both biking and running. Mon-Thurs would be 2 two-day cycles of this, then take the day
    > off on Friday and drive or just bike both ways. Distance was about 5 km.
    >
    > Neil

    This sounds wonderful. I've been learning that having an alternative that isn't a car is a key here.
    I'm in NYC, so I've got a subway for the one way a day I do that isn't running.

    Robert

  13. Rhc

    Rhc Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, rhc wrote:
    > > Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the
    > > logistics surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a
    > > magazine article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).
    >
    > One of the posters here, Andrew Taylor, did this. He's probably too modest to say this, but he's a
    > pretty good runner. I suggest you google for his posts in rec.running. Hopefully, he'll respond.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Thanks,

    Appears to be one of the few people I've found who manage to go both to and from every day. I'll be
    sending him a query.

    Robert (rhc)

  14. [email protected] (rhc) wrote:
    > Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the logistics
    > surmountable?

    On different occasions, I've biked, walked and run for commuting. The most recent involved running 2
    1/2 miles.

    There's no problem with sweat or the like. Biking 13 miles there was; so that necessitated a
    backpack with the change of clothes in it. Work had a shower and gym in it, but there's no smell to
    begin with.

    Stenching doesn't happen with sweating for everyone. It might be a dietary issue for those people
    that stench when they sweat.

  15. Rick++

    Rick++ Guest

    I did it for several years as grad student. I made one run 8-10 miles and the other 3 miles, because
    I had so much energy then. 13 runs a week would be too stressful now at twice the age.