Commute Running

Rhc

Guest
Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the logistics
surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a magazine
article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).

I did it for several months before and couldn't solve two issues

1. Sweating. I start sweating after 6-10 mins running. If there's no shower in work place, other
people can smell.
2. Conflict with breakfast. I used to have my breakfast at home. It doesn't feel good to run
after the meal.

It works for me only when the distance from home to work is less than 3km one way (15 mins), prefer
news:[email protected]...

In article <[email protected]>, rhc wrote:
> Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the logistics
> surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a magazine
> article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).

One of the posters here, Andrew Taylor, did this. He's probably too modest to say this, but he's a
pretty good runner. I suggest you google for his posts in rec.running. Hopefully, he'll respond.

Cheers,

[email protected] (rhc) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the logistics
> surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a magazine
> article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).

I commute to work using my car and a commuter train. The total distance is about 12 miles. In 2003,
I was training for an upcoming marathon, and figured that running home from the train station might
be a good way to get in some training. That distance was about 6 miles. I had a North Face backpack
that was extremely well-suited for running. It was not too big, and had waist and chest straps that
eliminated bouncing. I would change after work and put my work clothes, shoes, and lunch sack into
the pack. The total weight of the pack was about 10 lbs. The only real problem I had was stress on
my knees from instantly adding 10 lbs. to my frame. You have to plan for weather and carry some form
of hydration. I used the Ultimate Direction Quick-draw. Running to work is really not an option as I
don't have any shower facilities, except for a health club located in the same complex as my work.
It just seems like too much of a hassle.

On 25 Jan 2004 15:35:51 -0800, [email protected] (N_A_J) wrote:

>[email protected] (rhc) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the logistics
>> surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a magazine
>> article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).

My wife and I only have one car. We usually don't need another one. I either take the bus home or
she picks me up, since she works near by. The buses stop running at 6 pm, so I keep a set of running
clothes at work for emergencies. If I have to work late and she is working later or has to go do
something, I just change my clothes and hit the road. Total distance is 7 miles. I lock everything
but my keys and security badge up in my desk. The next day I bring back in my spare running clothes
and take the day before's work clothing home. Only problem is that the only way home is though less
than desirable neighborhoods. Chris keeps telling me that one of these days someone is going to jump
my skinny white ass, but I figure that all I will have to do are some mid-run pick-ups.

Mark

> Only problem is that the only way home is though less than desirable neighborhoods. Chris keeps
> telling me that one of these days someone is going to jump my skinny white ass, but I figure that
> all I will have to do are some mid-run pick-ups.

Realistically the "jumper" to be would not try and mug a runner. They're looking for someone weak,
who won't put up a fight, and has something worth taking. You probably have a better chance of being
struck by lightning during a thunderstorm than being jumped while running home from work.

jOe

I have never tried this, but I think what you could do is plan to run to and from work a few days a
week and transport clothes to and from on the days you drive.

Showering is an issue; depending on where you work there might be a gym nearby that you could join
and use the shower and walk to work.

It might be an idea to run home if you can get a ride to work in the morning (a co-worker or friend
who works near by).

Cycling is probably easier since it is easier to carry stuff on the bike than while running.

Good luck with the article

--
news:[email protected]...

rhc wrote:
> Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the logistics
> surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a magazine
> article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).

I used to do it but I had access to showers and a locker. I'd bike to work with a backpack
containing clothes and shower gear. Change into the clothes I'd brought, then at the end of the day,
I'd put on my running stuff from the backpack and run home (sans backpack). Next morning, run back
to work, shower and change into the clothes I'd left in the locker. Stuff everything into the
backpack that night and bike home. I'd leave my work shoes at work all the time and use my running
shoes for both biking and running. Mon-Thurs would be 2 two-day cycles of this, then take the day
off on Friday and drive or just bike both ways. Distance was about 5 km.

Neil

Joe wrote:

>>Only problem is that the only way home is though less than desirable neighborhoods. Chris keeps
>>telling me that one of these days someone is going to jump my skinny white ass, but I figure that
>>all I will have to do are some mid-run pick-ups.
>

> Realistically the "jumper" to be would not try and mug a runner. They're looking for someone weak,
> who won't put up a fight, and has something worth taking. You probably have a better chance of
> being struck by lightning during a thunderstorm than being jumped while running home from work.
>
> jOe

not true. an acquaintance of mine was jumped and beat up pretty badly by some high school football
types cruising in a car through a local park just because they were in the mood. this was late
afternoon in a "nice" part of town.

scott

you're just a wave, you're not the water

[email protected] (rhc) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the logistics
> surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a magazine
> article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).

I ran to work today, about 5.5miles. My wife and I work very close to eachother, so sometimes we
trade. I put a bag in the car and run, she drives, and I change and shower at the gym (lucky enough
to have one at work). Sometimes she rides or runs. Sometimes I run home this way. I have oatmeal and
peanut butter at work in our conference room.

In the summer I have a very lightweight backpack...actually a camel-back related thing, that I often
use for commuting by bike. Without the bladder it's just big enough for clean clothes and a pair of
shoes. I also have a pair of shoes at work. When the weather warms (boston) I'll start running with
this backpack.

At this point, all my miles are slow, base miles, working up to a decent mpw. Running to work in
the morning is mostly a way to make sure I get my time to run before the work and social
obligations pile up as the day goes on. Running mostly in the morning, slow runs, not more than an
hour at most, before breakfast, doesn't tax the system too much. I hear the Kenyans do slow runs in
the morning and do their fast runs in the evenings. When I start doing faster runs, I'll do those
in the evening.

"Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Only problem is that the only way home is though less than desirable neighborhoods. Chris keeps
> > telling me that one of these days someone is going to jump my skinny white ass, but I figure
> > that all I will have to do are some mid-run pick-ups.
>
> Realistically the "jumper" to be would not try and mug a runner. They're looking for someone weak,
> who won't put up a fight, and has something worth taking. You probably have a better chance of
> being struck by lightning during a thunderstorm than being jumped while running home from work.
>
> jOe

I was mugged (attempted) while running home from work once. The kid was a little young, like 15 or
so. It wasn't well thought out by any stretch of the imagination. His friend couldn't believe what
was happening and stood mouth agape while we wrestled in the snow. The guy clotheslined/tackled me
as I was running by in the opposite direction. We hit the ground hard and he started screaming "give
my all your money". It was fast. I was fighting right away, there was no time for me even to decide
not to fight, or to try to get away. I screamed curses back, and that I had no fn' money and why the
f would I be carrying money while running, stupid mf'er? This was as I was simultaneously pounding
on his kidney with my fist and trying to get to my feet. He got to his feet quicker than me and
bounded out into fast-moving rush hour traffic. The other guy "ran" too. He was gravitationally
challenged. I was lucky he didn't have a weapon.

Yes, runners almost never carry anything of value, and could be a hard target to boot, but it can
happen. Hopefully for that kid it was a learning experience.

Neil Gendzwill <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> rhc wrote:
> > Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the
> > logistics surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a
> > magazine article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).
>
> I used to do it but I had access to showers and a locker. I'd bike to work with a backpack
> containing clothes and shower gear. Change into the clothes I'd brought, then at the end of the
> day, I'd put on my running stuff from the backpack and run home (sans backpack). Next morning, run
> back to work, shower and change into the clothes I'd left in the locker. Stuff everything into the
> backpack that night and bike home. I'd leave my work shoes at work all the time and use my running
> shoes for both biking and running. Mon-Thurs would be 2 two-day cycles of this, then take the day
> off on Friday and drive or just bike both ways. Distance was about 5 km.
>
> Neil

This sounds wonderful. I've been learning that having an alternative that isn't a car is a key here.
I'm in NYC, so I've got a subway for the one way a day I do that isn't running.

Robert

Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, rhc wrote:
> > Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the
> > logistics surmountable? Could you do it in such a way that it helped your racing? Working on a
> > magazine article. Interested in comparing notes (I've been doing it for years).
>
> One of the posters here, Andrew Taylor, did this. He's probably too modest to say this, but he's a
> pretty good runner. I suggest you google for his posts in rec.running. Hopefully, he'll respond.
>
> Cheers,

Thanks,

Appears to be one of the few people I've found who manage to go both to and from every day. I'll be
sending him a query.

Robert (rhc)

[email protected] (rhc) wrote:
> Interested to hear from anybody who has ever commuted to/from work by running. Were the logistics
> surmountable?

On different occasions, I've biked, walked and run for commuting. The most recent involved running 2
1/2 miles.

There's no problem with sweat or the like. Biking 13 miles there was; so that necessitated a
backpack with the change of clothes in it. Work had a shower and gym in it, but there's no smell to
begin with.

Stenching doesn't happen with sweating for everyone. It might be a dietary issue for those people
that stench when they sweat.

I did it for several years as grad student. I made one run 8-10 miles and the other 3 miles, because
I had so much energy then. 13 runs a week would be too stressful now at twice the age.