Commute to school anyone?

tumbleweed77 said:
wow.. you've got a cool program there! I'm excited to find out what my school's got available to me as soon as the holiday weekend is over... since it's a commuter school, i would think that there would be some sort of options available to those who choose to ride in vs. drive in. :D
If nothing else, check the gym/atheletic center.

The discussion so far has been for college/university students, but how many K-12 students bike to school?

Here in Charleston, and Charlotte, NC, where I used to live, K-12 kids are forbidden to bike to school. They may walk, if they are close enough, but they may not bike.

Now, I rode to school from 5th grade on up in all but the worst weather (I grew up in MN, mind you.) I wasn't the only one; the schools had plenty of bike racks on campus. And people wonder why childhood obesity is on the rise!

Elkhound said:
Backpack? Get some decent panniers or at least a rack trunk for your bike. They make some that have a strap so they can convert to a shoulderbag when you take them off.

Panniers can also contain repair supplies so that you can fix a flat yourself.
Backpacks are more aero. Panniers are great except for this fact. I use either a backpack or a rear rack bag because of the aero factor.

Not sure what our friend Elkhound means RE the flat supplies. I can often fit those in a pocket, never mind the pack or rear bag. A small frame pump, patches, levers, glue, a spare ube, and a small wrench if I am riding without quick release. That stuff goes in the pocket unless I am wearing jeans.

garage sale GT said:
Backpacks are more aero. Panniers are great except for this fact. I use either a backpack or a rear rack bag because of the aero factor.

Not sure what our friend Elkhound means RE the flat supplies. I can often fit those in a pocket, never mind the pack or rear bag. A small frame pump, patches, levers, glue, a spare ube, and a small wrench if I am riding without quick release. That stuff goes in the pocket unless I am wearing jeans.
A backpack raises your center of gravity, which isn't all that good for your balance. It also is hot on your back. Panniers keep the weight low, which makes you more stable.

I don't know about you, but stuffing all that into my pockets would create unsightly bulges in my clothing, not to mention the pain of schlepping all that gear around during the day.

I started this thread more than a year ago... I'm sad to say that I haven't been commuting much over the last 12 months. :-( My problem was that I now have mandatory work outs 3 days a week and I have to be there by 0600 (which means that I would have to leave my house by 0430 in order to not risk being late and still have time to change)...

While I was commuting 4-5 days a week I solved a lot of my problems that arrised by commuting to school. I got a locker to store shoes and tubes and CO2 and locks... I got continental gator skin tires (which are almost invincible!). I would plan my homework so that I wouldn't have to bring heavy books to school with me.. which means my backpack (which is a hiking bag) weighed probably 10lbs or less.

I bought a new bike last year.. my beautiful scott CR1 Pro; carbon fiber... i crashed my cheap specialized bike and totaled everything but the frame. I recently rebuilt the bike and I have turned it into my commuting bike. I put forte rail SPD pedals on it and got a nice pair of Lake cycling shoes (look just like tennis shoes). The bike is set up more for commuting with the handle bars higher. I'm hoping to start commuting again.

I can't commute to work since work is between probably 30-40 miles away and I have to be there in ironed uniform and boots by 0550. but on days I work I will take my good bike with me and I'll go for a ride the next morning before I drive home. (24 hour shifts).

cheers to those who commute... for those who have a hour commute or longer.. kudos... it takes a lot of motivation to get yourself up that early just to ride your bike.