Commuter Bike thoughts

Mr . Tibbs

Guest
Hello all,

Just looking for some opinions. I know I am going to get what I ask for. I am looking for a commuter
bike that I can ride about 30 miles a day and not get trashed quickly.

Now I have looked at the Cannondale R900 and R2000. Both are nice bikes. The 900 has a mixed group
on it 105 front drive train, ultegra shifters and rear der, and Mavic Cosmos wheels. Where as the
2000 has a full Ultegra Kit and the Campy Proton wheels.

Lite bikes but pretty rigid. Now to state this. Im 5'7" tall and weigh 155 and am very hard
on my bikes.

Now onto the next selection. I have looked at the Litespeed Tuscay. The 3/2 Ti feels very nice and
does not flex as much as I thought it would. I would get it with and Ultegra kit and Open Pro wheel
and upgrade to the Ksyriums in due time unless it would seem like a good idea to get them when I
get the bike.

So all in all I guess what I am asking is what would be a better frame to ride every day. A Ti or
Aluminum frame. What will last me longer and as we all know. If you commute on a bike you are going
to get hit. What will stand up to getting whacked by a car better.

Thanks for the suggestions already.

Did I get garbage in your question or are you serious?

> and as we all know. If you commute on a bike you are going to get hit. What will stand up to
> getting whacked by a car better.

Mr.Tibbs <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello all,
>
> Just looking for some opinions. I know I am going to get what I ask for. I am looking for a
> commuter bike that I can ride about 30 miles a day and not get trashed quickly.
>
> Lite bikes but pretty rigid. Now to state this. Im 5'7" tall and weigh 155 and am very hard on
> my bikes.

I'm 6'1 and 235. I'm harder.

> So all in all I guess what I am asking is what would be a better frame to ride every day. A Ti or
> Aluminum frame. What will last me longer and as we all know. If you commute on a bike you are
> going to get hit. What will stand up to getting whacked by a car better.

I'd more concerned about making myself as visible as possible rather than thinking it's a given that
you're going to get hit.

My commuter is a Schwinn Mesa. Chromo frame and lower end components. Has held up for 3 years now
and is only ridden in the winter (Pa.) Was well used when I got it too. Each night I rinse all the
crud off and spray the drivetrain down w/ WD40 and then a silicone lube. EVERY NIGHT! Spring gets it
a teardown and good going over, ready for next year.

My commute yesterday afternoon was in a blinding snowstorm. I've 2 LED flashers and a white strobe
on the rear and all cars gave me a nice wide berth when passing. Well, there was one @$$hole on the
way to work, but that's another story. I'm sure I'll see him again Monday morning.;)

"Mr.Tibbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello all,
>
> Just looking for some opinions. I know I am going to get what I ask for. I am looking for a
> commuter bike that I can ride about 30 miles a day and not get trashed quickly.

<snip>

> So all in all I guess what I am asking is what would be a better frame to ride every day. A Ti or
> Aluminum frame. What will last me longer and as we all know. If you commute on a bike you are
> going to get hit. What will stand up to getting whacked by a car better.

There are a lot of reasons for using an old rigid mountain bike for commuting duties. The frames and
components are built to withstand off-road use. With narrow slicks, there will be little difference
in speed from a road bike. There will be plenty of room for mounting fenders (an absolute must-have
item for most commuters). Conversion to drop bars isn't too difficult. The risk of theft is usually
pretty low. Updating the bike is easy, there are plenty of parts out there.

I wouldn't worry about frame material too much. Any decent bike is going to be engineered to use the
frame material in the best way. If you tend to scratch your paint, you might want to avoid steel,
but if paint chips aren't a problem, steel should be fine. As for being whacked by a car, I can
count myself as one of the FEW. The risk really isn't as high as you make it sound. It has been
discussed to death around here - go to groups.google.com and run an advanced search on this
newsgroup with the phrase "hit by a car" and you will see what I mean.

-Buck

I must admit, when I purchased my new bike a few days ago, the last thing on my mind was some ****
running me over.

Lets hope the OP is wrong :).

Gary.

"brian hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Snip ...
> > What will last me longer and as we all know. If you commute on a bike
you
> are going to get
> > hit. What will stand up to getting whacked by a car better.
> ... End Snip
>
> Really, I'm going to get hit? So when is this going to happen to me?
I've
> been bike commuting (off and on, but mostly on) for over 25 years and it hasn't happened yet. So I
> guess I'm not the right one to answer the question of how's the bike frame going to withstand a
> car crash. Nor have
> ever considered that specification when looking for a new bike. I just
have
> always gone for the one that feels right, has decent quality, and is
priced
> right--that seems to work for me thus far.

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve Palincsar <[email protected]> writes:

> I've been commuting to work from Alexandria VA to downtown Washington DC for over 22 years now,
> and have never been "whacked by a car". I cannot imagine accepting that as an inevitability.

I'm not surprised, though, that the "inevitability" attitude exists in some people, with on-line
thoughts available such as this:

http://www.hevanet.com/springer/index.html

(click on the "Outlaw Bicycling" link under the "Art and politics of urban cycling" heading)

"Tip #2 - Expect to get hit:

It's not always castasrophic or deadly if a car hits you while you're ridin' a bicycle...
especially at lower speeds.

Absorb the crash impact by rolling on top of the car.

On smaller cars, let the low bumper scoop your bike out from under you as you roll
onto the hood.

You can't roll onto trucks or vans though. Try to swerve the same direction of travel as the
vehicle and fall away from it."

In fairness, this particular link deals with a more guerrilla urban cycling style as one way, but
not necessarily the best or only way, to get around town on a bicycle. I guess "outlaw" is the
operative word.

cheers, Tom