Commuter Bike thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Jon Isaacs) writes:

> Tip #2: Ride so that you avoid getting hit. It's never a good thing to tangle with a car.

Sounds good to me. In fact, it sounds worthy of being Tip #1. Or even the Prime Directive.

I came across that URL (http://www.hevanet.com/springer/index.html) while researching on what, if
anything, makes "urban cycling" a style distinct from "Vehicular Cycling". I learned that some
people apparently think it (urban cycling) involves risk-taking, and have made their opinions
readily available on the Web. And I've come to my own conclusion that adhering to the Five Points
is, in the long run, the safest approach, no matter on what kind of streets or roads they're
applied. If anything, I figure _practical_ Urban Cycling *is* Vehicular Cycling -- with a bit of
addenda rather than ... "subtracta" (I can't remember what the antonym for "addendum" is).

So here we are: overly-worried hand-wringers to the right of us, daring-do hot-doggers to the left,
and reasonableness stuck in the middle.

cheers, Tom

--