Commuter/Fitness Bike Choices

MP Marandici

Guest
I’m a newbie to this forum. I am looking for a new bike. I am
narrowing choices, but I want some input from daily riders. I
appreciate any advice you can give me.

Background: I am 5’11", 175lbs, 32" inseam, long arms. I live in South
Florida (no hills and getting rained a bit for about half a year). I’ve
been biking 10 miles daily for fitness (more on weekends) 95% on paved
paths, sidewalks (don’t trust the drivers here). I might occasionally
commute (15miles each way) on sidewalks/bike paths still. Currently I
ride a cheap MTB with smi-smooth Kevlar lined fat tires to keep from
glass and thorns punctures. (Rode it for 5 years and it screeches and
clicks by now)
I will be grocery-getting occasionally. I will be on pavement mostly,
but might like to take packed dirt paths or cut across a lawn at times.

Seat post shock useful?
Best tire choice?
Handlebars? I now have flat bar with short curved extensions, and I get
numb/tingling in my fingers occasionally and have to stretch to make it
go away (perhaps the bike size is wrong).
I tried a couple of road bikes and I’m comfortable with drop down
handlebars, but I prefer the comfort extra brake grips on top of hte
bar.

Want: road bike or hybrid for $800 or less. A lot less, preferably, but
I'll pay more for a bike I don't have to upgrade later.

Pros and cons on used bikes?

The short list, and feel free to suggest whatever I don't have on it
yet:

Giant Cypress SX
Cannondale Road Warrior 800
Giant Cypress SL
Giant OCR 2
Giant OCR 3
Trek 100c
Specialized Sequoia
Specialized Sirrus

>Seat post shock useful?

Not the ones that come on most bikes.

>Best tire choice?

Something completely slick would work best for you.

>Handlebars? I now have flat bar with short curved extensions, and I get
>numb/tingling in my fingers occasionally and have to stretch to make it
>go away (perhaps the bike size is wrong).
>I tried a couple of road bikes and I’m comfortable with drop down
>handlebars, but I prefer the comfort extra brake grips on top of hte
>bar.

Giant DS3, I think that is the model, has the brakes on the tops as well
as the normal placement.

>Want: road bike or hybrid for $800 or less. A lot less, preferably, but
>I'll pay more for a bike I don't have to upgrade later.

>Pros and cons on used bikes?

Pros, you get a lot of value for your money if you get a good one. Con, if
you get a bad one, it could cost you as much as a new bike.

>The short list, and feel free to suggest whatever I don't have on it
>yet:
>
>Giant Cypress SX
>Cannondale Road Warrior 800
>Giant Cypress SL
>Giant OCR 2
>Giant OCR 3
>Trek 100c
>Specialized Sequoia
>Specialized Sirrus

All reputable companies. See which one fits you the best from the bike shop
that provides you the best service.
---------------
Alex

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
>>Handlebars? I now have flat bar with short curved extensions, and I get
>>numb/tingling in my fingers occasionally and have to stretch to make it
>>go away (perhaps the bike size is wrong).
>>I tried a couple of road bikes and I’m comfortable with drop down
>>handlebars, but I prefer the comfort extra brake grips on top of hte
>>bar.

> Giant DS3, I think that is the model, has the brakes on the tops as well
> as the normal placement.

Some Cannondales have them as well -- they call them b-levers. My sport
R1000 has them. They're real brakes, not suicide brakes. I love being
able to brake from the tops.

I personally think that drop bars are more comfortable than flat bars.
More choice of hand positions.

I agree with fx, a used touring bike with 35mm tires should be on your
list, especially if you want to be able to haul groceries home.

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose

As a commuting bike, I really like my Jamis Coda. Basically, a road
bike with a few compromises that make it better suited for urban
riding - flat bar, thumb shifters, can take a wider tire, etc. I think
there are at least a couple of other manufactures with similar bikes:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/street_intro.html