Commuter & Light Touring Advice would be lovely!

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by cclandfall, Oct 16, 2012.

1. cclandfall

cclandfall New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice/suggestions for good bikes for commuting and maybe some light touring under $1500. Ideally for women (shorter torso), fender and at least rear rack/pannier capable. Longer wheel base would be good too, as on my current bike i'm having the issue of my toes hitting my fenders around corners, and my heels sometime rub the panniers....ahhh....help please!

I have no idea about which name brands make good touring/commuter bikes? I thought, that it might be a possibility to order on-line but that would require knowing what's good, and also I would need to know how to choose a bike that would fit me appropriatly.

Also, does anyone recommend getting one built custom, and if so do you know anyone in the Victoria BC area?

Thanks so much, I appreciate any insight that anyone has to offer!

Tags:

2. vspa

vspa Active Member

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/touring/520/520#/us/en/model/details?url=us/en/bikes/road/touring/520/520 this one comes on your budget, its ready to go with a strong rear rack installed, with a suitable fork if you decide to install a front rack, built of steel, triple chainring, nice geometry, wide tires, only missing item are the fenders but you can always buy them later (its fender compatible too) i also dislike the short wheel base of modern bikes but it is not something to worry about, once your riding its unlikely if not impossible to fall by touching your front wheel, unless you are struggling on a hill at low speed for example, from the position of the back wheel in respect to the seat tube i would say this bike has a longer wheel base and for this reason also the rear panniers will be a bit further back for heel clearence, panniers also give you a little play to put them further back than normal too,