Commuter Rubber

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by AdamSean, Aug 11, 2011.

1. AdamSean

AdamSean New Member

I was curious as to what tires are being used in daily commutes. And a few reasons why you chose them. What kind? How many miles is your commute? What kind of terrain? I recently traded in the Vredesein Fortezza Tri-Comp that came on my older bike for some Continental Gatorskin 700c x 25c. I ride 11.5 miles one way to work and cover a wide range of terrain. I wanted something that was puncture resistant, yet comfortable enough to ride on. The 25c tires make it a little plusher than my old 23c. So far I like them. Just wondering what else is out there being used.

Tags:

2. Andy0161

Andy0161 New Member

I'm on the Continental City Rides, 700 x 32. Riding 6 miles each way. Chose them as a nice balance for slick tyres with some wet ability, and he puncture resistance. However, I think when I replace them I may go for the gatorskins as I would prefer them a little thinner.

3. Moto700

Moto700 Member

I was having a big problem with flats after I got my current bike, 7 flats in 7 weeks. After all was said and done went to Slime tubes and replaced the skinny 700x28 road tires that came on the bike with 700x31 cyclocross. Very durable tire and no more flats (so far).

4. WalterDreyer

WalterDreyer New Member

I ride 20 miles, just over an hour. I have Vittora Rubino, with skins in the tires. I used to have a problem with pinch flats. I started using a Thudbuster ST. That almost cured the problem, I've been running the Rubinos now at 145 PSI, for a couple of months and haven't had a pinch flat since.

5. Beersk

Beersk New Member

Gatorskins, all the way. I have them on all of my bikes. Fixed gear (Surly Steamroller) has 25's, commuter (Surly Cross Check with 5-speed Sturmey Archer) has 28's, and road bike (Kona Jake cross bike) has 23's. Great tyres, albeit a little on the pricey side, but they're worth it.
    My commute is 5 miles each way and I think I've only had a flat once in the last several years. I keep the PSI on all of my tyres at 100PSI, usually neglecting to put more air in until they get down to about 80PSI.

6. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Gatorskins are just ok tires, their better against flats then some tires but not great, and their sidewalls are flimsy thus subject to damage. I assume your commuting to work and want the ability to arrive and not be late due to flats, though you should always leave earlier then necessary so just in case you have a problem you allowed yourself some time to fix it. If your sold on Conti their best flat resistant tire is the GatorHardshell tire, personally I think Conti's are over priced. Specialized makes one of the best flat resistant commuter tires on the market called the All Condition, it's heavier then the Conti GatorHardshell but their far tougher including the sidewalls, if you want a slightly lighter the Specialized All Condition Pro not quite as tough as the All Condition but still tougher then the Hardshell. There is another tire made by Bontrager called the Hardcase that I've heard good reports for it's flat resistant qualities.

Stay away from Slime, this stuff doesn't work past 65 to 70psi, once you exceed that pressure it just blows out of the hole in the tube flatting you with a mess inside your rim and a tube that can't be patched due to the goo leaking out wetting the surface of the tube.

If your still paranoid after getting really good flat resistant tires like the ones I mentioned then get a tire liner, this goes between the tire and tube, but if you do this there's two things you need to do, first you need to sand the edges of the liner so that they become nearly paper thin, this is so the edge won't eventually rub a hole in the tube. Second you need to buy thicker tubes so as to remove all possibility of the liner rubbing a hole in the tube. Personally I think a liner is overkill, but some want the peace of mine they bring.

Make sure you always have a spare tube, patches (I like glueless patches, been using Park and Specialized brand of glueless patches for at least 18 years and never had one fail), a tire boot patch in the event you cut a tire past the cords. This is what I've done for years, I carry a spare ultralight folding tire just in case I destroy a tire beyond repair. This kind of total destruction has happened to me three times in 40 years of road bike riding and the first time it happened I didn't have a spare, I learned my lesson, the second and third time I had a spare! I even gave a spare to a stranded cyclist who destroyed his tire and would have had a 12 mile walk with darkness approaching on a mountain road in California; he took my name and address in his brain, I didn't know anything about him nor cared, and knew I would never hear from him again and didn't care, I was just helping a stranger; but about a week later I get a package in the mail with two really high quality tires and two nice tubes and a thank you note from the doctor I helped! I still carry one of those tires as a spare and used it about 2 years ago when a Conti GP4000 sidewall blew.

Commuting you need to be prepared, have a mini tool just in case, obviously you need tire irons and a pump, take a cell phone too.

7. GGB_Andrew

GGB_Andrew New Member

I've used Maxxis Re-fuse. Very good for 10 months and then I've had cuts all over the front tyre and successive punctures

8. batnaso

batnaso New Member

"Gatorskins are just ok tires, their better against flats then some tires but not great, and their sidewalls are flimsy thus subject to damage"
    - I second that. Much anecdotal evidence to support your point, in my experience, as well as from online reviews.

Sorry for replying to an old thread. Just join the forums here.

Thanks for the great advice on commuting tires. I need to upgrade from my flimsy Kenda Kwick CX tires on my commuters, as in under 2 months of owning that bike I managed to damage the front tire beyond repair. Will definitely look at the Specialized ones that you recommend.

Any observations on Vittoria Rubino Tech road tires?

thanks again,

9. Nukuhiva

Nukuhiva Member

My daily rides vary from about 5-30 miles, have had pretty good experiences with Schwalbe Punture Proof and Tioga Bloodhound tires, both 27" x 1 1/4. The Schwalbe are better for street due to their flatter profile, the Bloodhounds better for softer terrain, they're sort of 'mountain-bikey'. Cheap enough at about $ 20.00 each. There are many lakes of broken glass, goatheads that penetrate plate armor and other lovelies on the roads here, so Slime as well as tire liners are an absolute must.