Commuter setup

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Matthew Reed, May 7, 2003.

  1. Matthew Reed

    Matthew Reed Guest

    Does anyone have an idea about how difficult it would be to have an aluminum road frame altered for
    cantalever brakes? I have set up my old road bike with a moutain stem, bar shifters and brake
    handles. I put some campus pedals on it and a rear fender. The trouble is is that it has ultegra on
    it and the brakes do not offer enough clearance to get the cross tires that I will want to put on it
    next winter. Right now I am running 28's on it; which is fine for the summer. I can switch the front
    fork for a cross fork to get clearance up front, but the rear cross member that supports the brake
    is too low relative to the drop out for larger tire clearance and there are no cantalever brake
    braze ons. I have seen this changed on steel road bikes at local frame builders for cross or
    commuter conversions, but I have not seen anyone do it with aluminum. I am guessing this is because
    of the additional cost and potential problems of having aluminum rewelded. But I am only guessing.
    Does anyone know if what I would like to do is possible? Is the rear triangle going to be strong
    enough (it is a specialized M2 from the mid 90's) for cantalevers if I can get it done? And, does
    anyone have any idea what it might cost?

    Thanks, Matt

    Tags:

  2. In article <Kpeua.9715$%[email protected]>, Matthew Reed
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Does anyone have an idea about how difficult it would be to have an aluminum road frame altered for
    >cantalever brakes?

    Hard enough that it's not worth it.

    > I have seen this changed on steel road bikes at local frame builders for cross or commuter
    > conversions, but I have not seen anyone do it with aluminum. I am guessing this is because of the
    > additional cost and potential problems of having aluminum rewelded.

    Heat treating the frame again is the step that will create the most logistical trouble for this
    repair. Assuming the stays are stout enough to handle the significant stress of cantilever braking.

    --Paul

  3. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >And, does anyone have any idea what it might cost?
    >
    >Thanks, Matt

    This is a tough way to go and you are only doing it to use an old frame. I think that by the time
    you finished you could have purchased the right frame to begin with.

    Jon Isaacs

  4. Why don't you just put your cross fork on it and run something like a 32 or a 35 up front with
    cantis and keep the rear as is with a 28 and the caliper? You could ride some pretty rough terrain
    with that setup.

    "Matthew Reed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Kpeua.9715$%[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have an idea about how difficult it would be to have an
    aluminum
    > road frame altered for cantalever brakes? I have set up my old road bike with a moutain stem, bar
    > shifters and brake handles. I put some campus pedals on it and a rear fender. The trouble is is
    > that it has ultegra on
    it
    > and the brakes do not offer enough clearance to get the cross tires that
    > will want to put on it next winter. Right now I am running 28's on it; which is fine for the
    > summer. I can switch the front fork for a cross
    fork
    > to get clearance up front, but the rear cross member that supports the
    brake
    > is too low relative to the drop out for larger tire clearance and there
    are
    > no cantalever brake braze ons. I have seen this changed on steel road
    bikes
    > at local frame builders for cross or commuter conversions, but I have not seen anyone do it with
    > aluminum. I am guessing this is because of the additional cost and potential problems of having
    > aluminum rewelded. But I
    am
    > only guessing. Does anyone know if what I would like to do is possible?
    Is
    > the rear triangle going to be strong enough (it is a specialized M2 from
    the
    > mid 90's) for cantalevers if I can get it done? And, does anyone have any idea what it might cost?
    >
    > Thanks, Matt

  5. Matthew Reed

    Matthew Reed Guest

    I may do that, or just stick with the 28's. This project is as much about having fun messing with my
    old bike as anything else. I have made it a pretty light commuter at this point and I have only
    spent about $100 getting the parts together. It would be nice to put 35's in front and in back, but
    I will lose no sleep if I end up keeping it as it sits. Thanks to you and everyone else who has
    chimed in form the advice.

    news:[email protected]...