Commuting a good way to get fit ?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Scott, May 23, 2003.

  1. John Scott

    John Scott Guest

    I have been cycling for 2 yrs now and have slowly got fitter and fitter by riding 3 evenings a
    week(about 15-20 miles a time) and riding 30-40 miles a weekend. Now recently I have started riding
    to and from work, 10 miles each way, 20 a day, 3-4 days a week, replacing the evening rides. Now I
    do tend to go flat out for the 10 miles to and from work, we do have showers at the office.

    Do you think I will be able to maintain my fitness progress just commuting instead of my evening
    rides ?Bearing in mind that I'm replacing 15-20 mile rides with 2x10 mile rides.

    Thanks, John

    Tags:

  2. SMH

    SMH New Member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2003
    If you only ever stick to the same routine your fitness will tend to level off rather than progressing. Your body becomes efficient at doing the same thing over and over, and you're not asking your body to do any more than it's used to doing. If you want to progress rather than maintain you need to vary your programme a bit and demand a little bit more from your body. E.g a couple of journeys a week, try and do sprints where you are pushing your body hard for short periods of time, then recover, repeat, etc
    But hey, riding 5+ days a week is commendable regardless!

  3. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    John Scott wrote:
    > I have been cycling for 2 yrs now and have slowly got fitter and fitter by riding 3 evenings a
    > week(about 15-20 miles a time) and riding 30-40 miles a weekend. Now recently I have started
    > riding to and from work, 10 miles each way, 20 a day, 3-4 days a week, replacing the evening
    > rides. Now I do tend to go flat out for the 10 miles to and from work, we do have showers at
    > the office.
    >
    > Do you think I will be able to maintain my fitness progress just commuting instead of my evening
    > rides ?Bearing in mind that I'm replacing 15-20 mile rides with 2x10 mile rides.

    What fitness goals do you have? Commuting that much by itself will get you pretty fit, you might
    want to top it up a bit if you really have a goal in mind. We've always done the bulk of our riding
    on our daily commute, but last year topped it up significantly in advance of he transrockies.
    Looking at your schedule I can't see the switch from evenings to commutes as making much difference.

  4. Niv

    Niv Guest

    You could do a longer route on the odd evening commute home. It's what I used to do whe I had a 10
    mile in & out journey, doing anywhere from 20 to 50 home. (That was 12 years ago, its now 32 each
    way, so sadly I share a car, but sometimes I cycle home the 32, & even both ways on the very odd
    occasion).

    Anyway, just increase the distance gradually, say an extra 10% per week; you'll soon be doing loads.
    (More than me, I must get out now & leave the 'net alone).

    Niv.

    "John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have been cycling for 2 yrs now and have slowly got fitter and fitter by riding 3 evenings a
    > week(about 15-20 miles a time) and riding 30-40 miles
    > weekend. Now recently I have started riding to and from work, 10 miles
    each
    > way, 20 a day, 3-4 days a week, replacing the evening rides. Now I do tend to go flat out for the
    > 10 miles to and from work, we do have showers at
    the
    > office.
    >
    > Do you think I will be able to maintain my fitness progress just commuting instead of my evening
    > rides ?Bearing in mind that I'm replacing 15-20 mile rides with 2x10 mile rides.
    >
    > Thanks, John

  5. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Start to increase your weekend rides to 40-50 then 60 including hillier routes and every now and
    again do a longer one like 75-80 miles. Set a goal for the end of the Summer such as an organised
    100 mile if there is one that is convenient for you.

    "John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have been cycling for 2 yrs now and have slowly got fitter and fitter by riding 3 evenings a
    > week(about 15-20 miles a time) and riding 30-40 miles
    > weekend. Now recently I have started riding to and from work, 10 miles
    each
    > way, 20 a day, 3-4 days a week, replacing the evening rides. Now I do tend to go flat out for the
    > 10 miles to and from work, we do have showers at
    the
    > office.
    >
    > Do you think I will be able to maintain my fitness progress just commuting instead of my evening
    > rides ?Bearing in mind that I'm replacing 15-20 mile rides with 2x10 mile rides.
    >
    > Thanks, John

  6. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I have been cycling for 2 yrs now and have slowly got fitter and fitter by riding 3 evenings a
    > week(about 15-20 miles a time) and riding 30-40 miles
    > weekend. Now recently I have started riding to and from work, 10 miles
    each
    > way, 20 a day, 3-4 days a week, replacing the evening rides. Now I do tend to go flat out for the
    > 10 miles to and from work, we do have showers at
    the
    > office.
    >
    > Do you think I will be able to maintain my fitness progress just commuting instead of my evening
    > rides ?Bearing in mind that I'm replacing 15-20 mile rides with 2x10 mile rides.
    >
    > Thanks, John

    For general aerobic fitness have you ever considered running as well as biking? I reckon I get far
    more fitness value from 40 minutes running at
    7.30 minute miles than I do than I do riding 20 odd miles at (what a quick calculation tells me)
    must be an average of about 13.5 mph on my bike (MTB on the road). Both of these are what I find a
    naturally pleasurable pace for each activity. I've never used one of those heart rate monitors but
    I know I don't get out of breath biking. Don't know how fast I'd have to be going to produce the
    same heart rate as I get running but it wouldn't feel natural and I doubt I'd want to keep it up
    for long. What does anyone else find?

    Andy

  7. "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > for each activity. I've never used one of those heart rate monitors but I know I don't get out of
    > breath biking. Don't know how fast I'd have to be going to produce the same heart rate as I get
    > running but it wouldn't feel natural and I doubt I'd want to keep it up for long. What does anyone
    else
    > find?

    I find cycling is much easier and more pleasurable than running, even at high heart rates, and you
    go a lot further for the effort!

    Rich

  8. Mf015a1020

    Mf015a1020 Guest

    The great advantage of using commuting to get fit is all the time you gain by combining exercise and
    commuting. Think of those who commute by train or car and then have to spend time in the gym or
    whatever. mike