Commuting and just plain nasty when done, need advice for "camp" cleaning hair

Ifamus

Jul 12, 2012
Here's the problem. I ride my bike everywhere. I get dirty. I ride as fast and as hard as my body will let me cause it's exhilarating. So, no telling me to to chill out and take it easy so I don't get all sweaty (found this advice to a man elsewhere), it's going to happen. This is my free time, my me time, and it's freaking fun especially on the days I have to work. So, I also ride to work and well most times I don't have a shower available to me. I currently use the sink to clean up, but I find my co-worker, a manager that works in the building thinks it uncool for me to wash my hair in the sink. I think she's even offended that I wash up in the bathroom all together. So I need some alternative's. I don't have the hair type that does well with out a daily washing/rinsing. So after my small ***** session, please forgive me. Does anyone here have this problem with greasy a$$ looking hair after a ride and any, several would be good, solutions. Thanks in advance for any cool tips or tricks. I would like to feel like I look like the biking goddess I think I am when I'm done.

-Suzanne

Hey,

I have the same problem! Bomb it to work but have no shower there to clean up, so have to make do with the world's tiniest sink.

First of all I'm kind of surprised that it bothers your colleague so much that you use the sink to wash in, unless you're really getting in her way and leaving clogs of hair in the sink surely it's none of her business?

But anyway, if you need another solution for your hair you could try dry shampoo, I find Batiste works pretty well for a spruce up between washes, you can get it at Boots and Superdrug I think, possibly even in big supermarkets.

When my hairline gets sweaty I generally towel it dry, spray it, work the spray in and then brush it out. It's not as good as a proper wash, but if I wash my hair in the evening and do that when I get to work in the morning it at least keeps it presentable and not so greasy looking.

Hope it helps!

H.

Hey thanks for your reply Hannah,

As to the coworker, I was actually surprised as well with her attitude about it. Was sort of confusing, because I thought it was funny. I have shorter hair so it's easy to clean up after and I'm more likely than most to do so.

I live in the US so no Boots here. I do know that LUSH (based in Canada and ship everywhere) has a line of dry shampoos, I actually have a powder from them to use but haven't tried it for sweaty hair, works well for normal I would rather just not wash my hair days. I'll look into companies that carry dry shampoos.
Thanks again,
Suzanne

Ifamus said:
Hey thanks for your reply Hannah, As to the coworker, I was actually surprised as well with her attitude about it. Was sort of confusing, because I thought it was funny. I have shorter hair so it's easy to clean up after and I'm more likely than most to do so. I live in the US so no Boots here. I do know that LUSH (based in Canada and ship everywhere) has a line of dry shampoos, I actually have a powder from them to use but haven't tried it for sweaty hair, works well for normal I would rather just not wash my hair days. I'll look into companies that carry dry shampoos.  Thanks again, Suzanne
I don't think it's bad to wash your hair in the sink at work unless your leaving hair in the sink when you're done or leaving the sink a mess. I shave me head, though, so I don't have the hair problem. You might also want to consider taking baby wipes with you to work or storing there (that's what I've done). Baby wipes are great for cleaning up quickly after a ride to work. I wouldn't use baby wipes on your hair, though. Another hair option would be to fill a water bottle with water and then dump it over your head before going in at work. Then, you'd only need to dry your hair.

Batiste dry shampoo is a must. It comes in a travel size too, and a few different fragrances (I am a tropical girl!) Baby wipes, or deo wipes are what I use, seems to do the job, and no one has complained about BO, yet!!

hmmm, I suppose I could just shave me head too, would make this whole cleaning up thing a whole lot easier.

The only thing I can suggest apart from purchasing your colleague a new life would be wet wipes and dry shampoo. The only dry shampoo I even bother with any more is batiste, the rest are a waste of money in my opinion. If you re not fond of the smell or the chemicals then try talcum powder, it does much the same thing. Just remember to brush it all out completely or you will look like you are ageing whilst you are sat there and they make think you are under a voodoo curse.

There are actually quite a few brands of dry shampoo out there. I haven't used it myself since I don't really have this problem myself, since my commute a little less than 1 mile to work. My other routes it doesn't matter much.

Is there possibly another bathroom in the building you might be able to use if this person think you are in the way when using this one? Other than that I think everyone else has given some great suggestions.

Oh, I would recommend using a deodorant that has high alcohol content before and after your ride. It will really help cut down on the odor without you having to use an anti-perspirant that contains dangerous chemical ingredients.

I'm on board with finding another washroom in the vicinity that's a tad more user friendly. Also, I would ask that co worker if they prefer you walk around all day like you ran a marathon & neglected to shower before sitting next to them for eight or more hours. It's pretty ridiculous if they weighed the options themselves.

Batiste is the best dry shampoo. This is hands down true. I love using the new Dove spray deodorant as well as wipes after riding to work. All three especially in the summer.

The only think I can think of would be to use dry shampoo. I honestly don't know why anyone would be offended by you washing your hair in the bathroom though. Would she rather you smell funky and look a mess? :rolleyes: You could try finding a different place to wash up at but I don't know if that will help since you still have to bike to your work place afterwards. Could you wrap your hair up while riding without messing it up? I'm not sure how much it would help but you could try that.

There is a shampoo and body wash that you put it on a rag and clean with it. No rinse or anything else. It's no where near as nice as a real shower, but it might work for you. Just something to hold you over until you can get a real shower