commuting bike

msrw

Most utility bikes are desendents of the old British 3 speeds-- great old bikes. But now you can get a lighter frame, more gears, more built in features. I think this whole type bike has been out of favor here in the USA for quite some time.

Of course a few poor people still find those old 3 speeds at the Goodwill or the country dump and ride them. This kind of *beer biker* would know the value of a 7 speed hub right away.

sean000,

Yeah, Fuji makes a whole line of city bikes that I've ever seen in the USA-- it;s too darn bad-- I'd love to buy a Kobe!

Originally posted by chriswilcox
Hi
What is the best type of commuting bike

I need to get a new one as Ive had mone for 10 years

Chris
I would suggest a Dahon piccolo(3 speed internal hub) or possibly a speed P8(8 speed deraileur) . How far are you going? The reason for my reccomendation is thus, if the wether gets too crappy you can fold up these bicycles put them in a bike bag and take the bus or train if available. A speed P8 is better for longer distances or fun rides.Much however is dependent on how the Bike fits you. One more advantage of a good folder is you may be able to take it into the building with you for added security or check it till you leave at various establishments.

I bought a Dawes Discovery 401 as an all round bike that I use for commuting.

With Armadillo tyres you can keep a steady 19-20mph and its comfy!

Its also ideal for putting cycle racks, tow bars etc on it.

My racer is much faster but as I'm nearly 37 I'm much more into comfort now.