Commuting Daily On A Bike - What Are You Main Problems / Biggest Bug Bearers?

dshardpolerwas

Jul 1, 2015
Hey All,

Im in my final year at Uni doing Transport Design, and on with my major project, with the idea of creating a few concepts in the next couple of weeks.

One of my projects is to improve the daily commute for cyclists, and my question really, is what problems / issues occur?

I've been out on my bicycle today, and nearly got ran off the road a few times, especially by buses. I can imagine in a more urban environment like this,
that this is a bigger problem? That and the weather are the biggest issues that spring to mind?

If you could share some of your issues / problems with cycling, it would be great!

Drivers of automobiles that fall into one or more of the following categories... (no particular order)

Impatient
Clueless
Lazy
Aggressive
Distracted

My biggest problem has always been motorists, second would be improperly kept road surfaces.

I think we are at the point now where we have decades of experience and data from paved roads and building..... there is no excuse to have such poor planning and such poor motorist traffic safety & law fidelity let alone etiquette.

My bugbears?

1) Crappy bike "facilities" i.e. bike lanes that are just the door zone area of parked cars repainted, Sharrows painted far to the right etc.
2) Drivers that pass to closely, apparently as punishment for my using the road.
3) Lack of Idaho stop and an equivalent for stop lights
4) Cyclists with lights that are way too bright.
5) Stop lights that lack sensors for bikes.

Of the preventable ones:
Uphill traffic light with stop line too far from actual junction. This situation needs an advanced stop line.
Curbs at road/bikepath junctions. Where the bikepath slips off, the lowered curb should be across, not along the bikelane
Lamp-posts in the middle of bikepath.

From an infrastructure standpoint, I would say lack of formal bike lanes.

Minneapolis is among the leaders in the country in this regard (kudos), but only makes a rider long for more.

You can't change the weather; we all know that, but you can change your gear...

Road conditions (quality) can be harsh, but they are for cars too; cyclists want equality, there it is. lol

My request would be to mandate bicycle considerations in to all future city planning/ development/ construction. All crosswalks, etc have to be handicapped accessible & friendly, let's expand that for bicycles as well.

While not necessarily ideal, I do at least appreciate having the painted line for 'door opening' on the side of the road; at least there is a line that the idiot drivers can see. It's better than nothing at all.

We cannot do that here - biking our way to work because of the pollution and the hot weather. That is why there are fewer cyclists and bikers during weekdays when people normally go to work. But on weekends, the population of cyclists on the road is maybe 10 times that during weekdays. The hot weather will make you perspire and match that with the dust and the smoke, you will be smelling terrible when you reach the office. Some of my colleagues do that but they avail of the shower in the executive bathroom.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
Keeping up with the traffic is sometimes a big issue. Most motorists feel that cyclists should not be on the roads. Some roads do not have clear signs. Whenever the weather is unfavorable, we usually find it difficult to cycle, whether very cold or very hot. Personally I do not like going cycling on new routes.

"One of my projects is to improve the daily commute for cyclists, and my question really, is what problems / issues occur?"

Having no safe area to cycle in and so having to choose between being run over by cars on the road, or running over pedestrains on the sidewalk. If I have a cycle lane I am golden, nothing else worries me. Weather, ice, people being idiots, these are facts of life I can deal with if I have a place where the cycle is meant to be and other modes of transport are meant to stay out of.

There is a province here that is conducive to riding. Batanes, where we had toured last month, has few vehicles on the road, practically there's no traffic so it is the rider's haven. What we proposed to the community official are bike stations along the highway. That bike station would provide assistance to riders in case a problem occurs. The community official said that bicycles far outnumber motorized vehicles because the weather is good.. although hot during summer. And no pollution at that.

My "problem" on the road is practically everything and everybody. And that's not because I am overly sensitive, but because I currently happen to live in a country where traffic is very badly organised and regulated. If people actually paid some attention to traffic rules and kept their animals, and themselves, off the road, things would be so much easier. I can't recall the countless times when cows, horses, dogs and dis-coordinated people ventured into my path and almost knocked me off my bike. Actually, I am surprised that not more accidents happen in this daily mess. I guess people are accustomed to it. The only rule to follow and to remember here is that "everyone comes first".

A lot of places don't have bike racks. I noticed that was one of the most annyoing things about commuting. Also, angry drivers.

It depends on the country you live in because some urban cities priority the cyclist and even have their own bicycle path beside the road only for the cyclist. For me I consider no problem in using the bicycle for commuting from school to our home because I feel cautious on the track. Just obey the traffic lights and pedestrian rules to avoid crash with the vehicle or pedestrians and to be safe and secure.

I have an officemate who uses bike as his daily means of transportation. Unfortunately he had 2 accidents past few months. First he got hit by a car while cycling on a busy road. He got minor injury and some bruises, his bike was squeezed just like a tin can. Second, he was robbed by 2 guys riding riding in a motorcycle trying steal his bag and unfortunately he was dragged and severly injured.

Safety. I have an officemate who uses bike as his daily means of transportation. Unfortunately he had 2 accidents past few months. First he got hit by a car while cycling on a busy road. He got minor injury and some bruises, his bike was squeezed just like a tin can. Second, he was robbed by 2 guys riding riding in a motorcycle trying steal his bag and unfortunately he was dragged and severly injured.

A lot of places don't have bike racks. I noticed that was one of the most annyoing things about commuting. Also, angry drivers.

We have bike racks here only in upscale places like the Global City, a classy commercial center. You cannot expect bike racks in ordinary places because that will just be a temptation for bike thieves. I can bet my pedals that your bike will not last an hour in a bike rack especially in the depressed areas of the city. Anyway, you can count me in as one of the angry drivers because I hate bikers and riders of motorcycles. With the several scratches on my car courtesy of those irresponsible riders, you cannot blame me.

Safety. I have an officemate who uses bike as his daily means of transportation. Unfortunately he had 2 accidents past few months. First he got hit by a car while cycling on a busy road. He got minor injury and some bruises, his bike was squeezed just like a tin can. Second, he was robbed by 2 guys riding riding in a motorcycle trying steal his bag and unfortunately he was dragged and severly injured.

Rain is a big problem for me when using the bike since I don't really want to get my clothes wet and accidents can occur more easily on a wet road. It's the main deterrent for me to use the bike as a daily means of transportation.

How can I manage to think about that, because in our country, bike lane is still the biggest problem. Our government still not priority this bike lane, beside it's really hard to use this bike going to work or school because of the pollution here, and also the weather, we're living in a tropical country.

I live in Metro Manila and if I try to commute using my bike daily then the risk of having an accident is definitely high because it's always a gridlock in the metro roads and there's always a lot of irrate and irrationality personalities driving cars and other larger vehicles which really doesn't observe traffic rules along with the pollution here a 15 minute ride would have your face and body covered with dirt and grime. So it's not a good idea to use your bike daily to commute.