Commuting from Pymble

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by 1id10t, Mar 11, 2006.

1. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

Has anyone commuted or still commute from Pymble? I've recently bought a home which is near the border of Pymble and West Pymble down near Yanko Road. I still intend on commuting to the city but would like to know which would be the best way to do this. I've recently tried two ways from Gordon station; straight down the highway (very quick but the traffic worries me) and the back streets which parallel the railway line (like cycling on a roller coaster). Someone else told me to also try going down Ryde road to the M2 and follow that along to Delhi road and then up Epping Road or otherwise through the Lane Cove National Park and head up Fullers Road or Mowbray Road. Has anyone tried any of these routes or know of any other they can recommend?
    BTW I will mostly be using a MTB which i've converted for road use; 1.25" slick tyres, flat bar with barends and swapped out the suspension forks with rigid ones. (I'm still saving for a flat bar road bike; hopefully the Jamis Coda Sport :D; if I can convince the wife it's necessary:rolleyes:

Tags:

2. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

I used to commute between Lindfield and Camperdown via the CBD. The Pacific Highway is, by far, the best route, traffic notwithstanding. Drivers on this route seem to be among Sydney's most arrogant, impatient, rude and self-entitled, so you really need to be careful and to cycle very assertively. Occupy the middle of your lane, unless the fringe of the lane with parked cars is big enough, and ignore car horns from behind . Don't even look. Don't respond to the yellers, jeerers and screamers.
    The Lane Cove River valley would be a lot more work, I would think. Let me know if you find a good route.

3. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

Thanks Artemidorus,

We should be in the new home in about 4 weeks. I'll probably take a couple of weeks off work to do the usual painting and other stuff. I intend on using some of those days looking for a good route to the city.
    So far the highway is looking to be the way despite the traffic. Thanks for the hints about the motorists.
    I agree that the Lane Cove river valley looks like hard work.
    Will post when i've tried all the possible ways and will give my opinion on each.

4. todned

todned New Member

Tagged. Definitely interested in routes from northshore to CBD.