commuting in auckland

liquidatorwolf

Nov 17, 2004
I'm pretty new to NZ and having been used to commuting to work by bicycle in London and have continued to do so here. Is there any websites or books that give advice,shortcuts. Do you think a website would be succesful where people could swap hints and tips. And is it just me or are people who ride a bicycle daily in Auckland seen as a bit weird...

this might be it...

The online chat on the cyclingnz.com web site has been restricted to just for sale and training for now while they sort out some issues, but the chat there is/was centred more around competitive cycling.

62vette said:
this might be it...

The online chat on the cyclingnz.com web site has been restricted to just for sale and training for now while they sort out some issues, but the chat there is/was centred more around competitive cycling.
Hi. I commuted in Auckland from early Oct '03 to June '04 from way out West into Newmarket. I resigned my job and now have to use the car or motorbike(at least it's one less car in the traffic and less polluting).
Do you realise there are cycling "lanes"(!?) marked on some major roads and that there are cycle/walking paths, ie. beside the Northwestern m/way?
Generally the councils are helpful.
I always ride with bright coloured cothing and a reflectorised vest too(along with lights when needed) and I have a helmet mirror too(then I know what is coming at me from behind).
Lots of drivers are bike friendly and some loosers -aren't!!
There are police complaint forms you can get for minor offences too - my wife and I have used heaps. Get one from a Police station - photocopy it and send them in a bunch as necessary - there is a freepost address.
I'll be praying for you, Paulo