Commuting in Perth

redorbea

Jul 17, 2005
Ok i know it is the best place in OZ to ride.

I am moving from sydney in 3 weeks to live,

At first i will be living in Westfield (no car for a week i would say) What is the best way in to kings park rd west perth where my office is.

Also there is no shower at my new work. Does anyone know of any facilities near by,

After that I will be living in Ashby Just off Wannaroo Rd or Pinjar rd. What is the safest and quickest way in from there,

Thanks

Chris

by car chris.
both areas main road areas, tough mission getting into town...
no shower....no chance!!
good luck.

Or train, leave the bike at work, at lunch time, ride in Kings Park or swim at Beaty Park or UWA. :cool:

You would be taking you life in your hands, Alexander Drive/Fitzgrald Street if you must ride. :eek:

In the Heat right now? No Shower? Don't Bother! My motto In the summer heat.

I can't believe the amount of people cycling at the moment in Perth.

I jumped on the train today.. broke down around leederville. While we were sitting there for 10 minutes like sardines. I saw about 40 on bikes flying past.

I've got a 4 mates I work with live in Vic Park, and 1 mate from Leederville all went out and bought bikes last month and cycle in now. Our floor of 20 people had 2 people ride in, now were up to 7.

its a smart move if living close by eg. leederville, vic park etc, anywhere u can get on one of the freeway or river bike paths.
i just cant see it happening from wanneroo rd though, not really feasible.

if youve got the shower, and dont need a car and work in town...definately makes sense with our traffic nowadays.
i used to ride to school when i was young. bus took 1hr, stuffing about town to travel the 10kms. bike took 28mins. full showers, pool etc at school...easy.

Ricardo29 said:
its a smart move if living close by eg. leederville, vic park etc, anywhere u can get on one of the freeway or river bike paths.
i just cant see it happening from wanneroo rd though, not really feasible.

if youve got the shower, and dont need a car and work in town...definately makes sense with our traffic nowadays.
i used to ride to school when i was young. bus took 1hr, stuffing about town to travel the 10kms. bike took 28mins. full showers, pool etc at school...easy.
I understand that i can go along the lake (senic drive) almost to ocean reef drive then hit the freeway, Bike path all the way into the city. is that correct. Its is only 25k not far at all,

Aslo i am moving from sydney, so my idea of traffic may be different.
Chris

redorbea said:
Aslo i am moving from sydney, so my idea of traffic may be different.
Chris
Yep, I wouldn't say that Sydney is the best place for commuting. Perth's not too bad. If you want to avoid traffic altogether, then your best bet is to cut across to the freeway and follow that into the city.

Wanneroo Rd isn't too bad, double lane at 70km/h. I've ridden it all the way up to Joondalup area without drama's several times.

HTH

AzzaC said:
Yep, I wouldn't say that Sydney is the best place for commuting. Perth's not too bad. If you want to avoid traffic altogether, then your best bet is to cut across to the freeway and follow that into the city.

Wanneroo Rd isn't too bad, double lane at 70km/h. I've ridden it all the way up to Joondalup area without drama's several times.

HTH
thanks guys and gals

Now to locate a shower. I see there are tennis courts in kings park. wonder if there are showers there that i can use.

not tennis courts as such....more so Royal Kings Park Tennis Club. former home of tennis here...a bit like White City in Sydney or Kooyong in Melb.

i would suggest contacting a gym in town, or a large tower building and attempting to sort something out with them. might cost a minimal amount.
i dont work in cbd so not an expert, but u will find a shower/changerooms etc easy enough im sure.

redorbea said:
Ok i know it is the best place in OZ to ride.

I am moving from sydney in 3 weeks to live,

At first i will be living in Westfield (no car for a week i would say) What is the best way in to kings park rd west perth where my office is.

Also there is no shower at my new work. Does anyone know of any facilities near by,

After that I will be living in Ashby Just off Wannaroo Rd or Pinjar rd. What is the safest and quickest way in from there,

Thanks

Chris
What the others are saying is true(re shower) but I used to work in W.Perth and rode in from Wanneroo area. W'roo road is okay but I used to take anyone of the main roads that lead to the freeway and the bike pathway that goes all the way into W.Perth (with a couple of short stints on the road road directory will show you how)that runs on the west side of the freeway...easy as you like.

Difference being is I had shower facilities at work which you dont. There are health clubs in the area of West Perth but that becomes a expensive exercise just to use their facilities. Local knowledge helps in answering your OP.

By the way George, Alexander drive is fine. I quite often used that if I was running late or had to be at work early, however coming home it was the freeway pathway for reasons you mentioned in your post.

I work in the Perth CBD. Our building (QV1) has bike chambers and showers. There were $131 for a year, just gone up to $231. But i'm stuck on the waiting list at the moment and i'm pretty sure its for tenants of the building only.

Thank you every one.

If you see some one on a White Cannondale or Red Orbea wearing Panther Cycle Gear, PLease say hello. Becasue is will have no friends.

CHRis