commuting in Santa Fe, New Mexico

Chris0516

Nov 13, 2009
My query is because, I am planning on moving to a section of the city called 'Eldorado at Santa Fe'. I would have to go into the city to do any banking because, the bank I use, does not have a location in 'Eldorado at Santa Fe'.

I have communicated with the Sheriff of Santa Fe County and, the Police Chief for the City of Santa Fe. They both said the same thing, that the state drivers manual says, that I can ride on the road. But where the problem is, concerns the traffic. I have been told that, the Old Las Vegas Highway is much more dangerous than going on US 285. But US 285 has a 65mph speed limit.
frown.gif
The OLVH looks safer because, it is a two-lane blacktop and no shoulder. Whereas, US 285 is four lanes with a grassy median and a big shoulder.
frown.gif

Any advice/help with my problem, would be greatly appreciated.
confused.gif

If the speed limit is over 35mph & there isn't a bike lane, then ride on the shoulder.

alfeng said:
If the speed limit is over 35mph & there isn't a bike lane, then ride on the shoulder.

For U.S. 285 I would. But, For the Old Las Vegas Highway, I would 'take the lane'.

Chris0516 said:
For U.S. 285 I would. But, For the Old Las Vegas Highway, I would 'take the lane'.
Let me expand on my answer ...

If you ever head north of Espanola, you'll probably see road signs which say "COURTESY PAYS" -- that means you should not impede traffic if you can avoid it ... slower cars should pull over at convenient places ... cyclists should NOT ride in the middle of the lane even if we have a theoretical right to.

After you arrive in Santa Fe, you will undoubtedly take the road toward Madrid on some casual rides ... it certainly has a shoulder for part of the way, but then becomes just a two lane highway with soft shoulders in many places ... you are not expected to ride on the gravel, but you should not impede the traffic behind you.

N.B. I have a "friend" who thinks he is descending at 50+ mph (he doesn't have a bike computer) because he has read that Tour riders descend at that speed, or greater. I can tell you that on the roads he is riding on if he is going down at anything close to 50 mph that he should change his profession. I doubt he is even hitting 40 mph ...

You, too, will probably not be going as fast as you think you are, so, be considerate if you decide to "take the lane" and a car comes up behind you.