Commuting In The Rain

I'm always afraid of cycling during rainy days. My immunity is pretty low and I tend to catch colds pretty frequently to be honest. If I cycle during the rain not only that I'll sweat a lot (which tends to happen naturally regardless of weather) but I'll also get wet from the rain and there's two times the fear and danger of colds. Not to mention the slippery roads and the possibility of an accident happening. I'm too scared to do that.

Been commuting/utility/touring cyclist for 25+ years year around. Started in the dead of winter in Chicago. Follow this rule of thumb: Never cycle in your work clothes or work in your cycling clothes.
Most commutes are -20 miles. Rain is annoying, but not a deal breaker. A baseball cap under your helmet greatly helps in keeping rain on the goggles to a minimum. Wear 100% merino wool as a base layer. Keep hangers at work. Your cycling clothes will dry for the trip home. RARELY does it rain both directions. The biggest issue is drying off upon arrival at work. Keep a full size terry cloth towel. Keep an emegency set of clothes at work. Keep oil for comps and chain. Don't worry about waterproofing except for work clothes. Double/triple wrap in plastic bags in panniers. It's really not that hard to figure out what works. Tailor approach to your specific commute. Fear of falling is stupid. Trust me, just apply a cautious approach and you'll be fine. Leave more time/distance when braking. Follow strange dog rule. No sudden moves. Honestly, commuting in rain is really not that hard.

You catch a lot of colds. So your immune system is low. Probably should work on that. Eat better maybe some herbs that strengthen the immune. You can just look it up.
Wet roads, yeah it is better to avoid riding on this.

Up until two years ago I commuted by rail into NYC. During that time period I would commute from the train station to work via bike. I had this great little folding bike that was made of light weight aluminum so commuting with it was not a bare. If anyone has a similar commute then I strongly suggest your look into folding bikes.

This actually gave me a pretty good laugh for somewhat selfish reasons. I had a good friend who moved to the Seattle area a couple years back and it was kind of contentious with him because it was kind of a job that we were both going for an all of that. It was friendly, but there was the joke where at least it wouldn't rain on me everyday. I talk to him a lot and he actually does really hate the rain and biking in the rain, so I get a little satisfaction from it. But, that said, personally I hate biking in the rain and always get worried for safety, especially around other cars.

I never ride my bike whilst its raining, let alone for a commute in the rain. I would just take the car personally as I wouldn't want to be wet for the majority of the day. I definitely don't want a cold either!

I commute to school (2.5 miles) and work (1 mile) every day regardless of weather. Rain, shine, even snow!
Starting off was rough. I have v brakes and obviously rain will make those stops take a little longer, but at high speeds it can add a couple seconds at times. I have tires with decent sipes for the rain and havent had any real traction issues. I still ride pretty fast but take it slow when cornering. I dont find visibility too bad, I'll usually drop low, head up and the rain will stay out of my face (relatively).
Rain poncho is a must. Cover those feet (I use plastic grocery bags lol). Rain pants for the legs. And gloves even if it's not too cold, if it's a even just decently cold, the wet hands + wind will really freeze up those hands. Oh and fenders fenders fenders.

I do afraid of it, because I always think that the bike will slip on the wet ground.

Of course it is not gonna happen, but it looks quite dangerous. Also wet brakes sound funny.

I love commuting in the rain, but I've noticed that I need to be wearing skintight clothing. Otherwise I would be in danger of pneumonia.

I love it. To ride against the strong wind blowing, and the raindrops furiously dropping like hail. The anoying thing is to damp my pair of lenses, but overall is an amazing ride.

Since I work from home, I no longer need to commute. But I've been in situations where it started raining while I was on my bike, and I was considerable distance from home. Yeah, it kinda sucks but a bit of rain has never killed anyone. I've arrived home soaking wet since I wasn't prepared for it, but it wasn't exactly the worst experience of my life.

A lots also going to depend on the destination of your journey aswell though. If your cycling in the rain and then have to work a full day without being able to dry off or get changed, that's totally different to riding in the rain when you know at the end of it you're going to be able to get dry off and get into a change of clothes.

The rain is not our friend when we are riding a bike, so we need to be prepared for it or we will be soaked.

Reactions: pwarbi
The rain is not our friend when we are riding a bike, so we need to be prepared for it or we will be soaked.

Some people like riding in the rain though (not me by the way) but I guess it depends on the weather and what country your in aswell. If your in a country that's hot and you're riding in a downpour it won't be as bad as say here in the UK where it's freezing cold rain that you have to contend with, when it does rain!

Reactions: oportosanto
It's the rainy season here and I can confirm commuting by bike is the least comfortable way to get to work. There are still a few die-hard riders like your truly here who still ride unfazed by the morning and evening downpour. However, it's all about preparation and having the best waterproof riding equipment.

If you are going to carry on riding in the bad weather then you're right and being prepared is the only way to be.

Having the right equipment and the right clothing is essential, and while it still won't be the most pleasant experience, at least it will be as bearable as it can be.

Some people like riding in the rain though (not me by the way) but I guess it depends on the weather and what country your in aswell. If your in a country that's hot and you're riding in a downpour it won't be as bad as say here in the UK where it's freezing cold rain that you have to contend with, when it does rain!

I have bad memories of riding in the rain with casual clothing and the back wheel sending all the water from the road to my back and head, lol, not a fond experience.