Commuting In The Rain

I was just going to say that's what the rear mudguard is for! Having said that, I remember as a kid that also happening to me aswell, but I didn't care at the time.

It's only as I've got older I'be started to care about what I look like. Oh to be a child again tho!

Yep, I have learned about that later and got the mudguards on lol, either cases it's a memory I will never forget lol. :)

We live and learn I guess. Having said that, as a kid I tended to follow the fashion, and if the trend was to ride without them on, then off they would come.

I was easily led, put it that way!

Yep, that happens with kids. I was a teen by the time, so was purely lack of thinking, that came literally into my back haha, nasty feeling. :)

Reactions: pwarbi
I am trepidacious how slippery the roads could get during the rain. I had been soused in the rain afore endeavoring to accomplish my quotidian routine but I was only frustrated. The dirt, the cold dihydrogen monoxide on my perspiring body, my wet habiliments and all that.

I bought a raincoat so good that I believe I get dryer at work when is raining than when it is not! haha. It was for sure a very good investment. And it was not so expensive.

The problem with some raincoats is that they have a tendency to make you sweat if they haven't got the proper ventilation, and especially when riding a bike in one, you end up wetter than if you hadn't have put it on in the first place!

The problem with some raincoats is that they have a tendency to make you sweat if they haven't got the proper ventilation, and especially when riding a bike in one, you end up wetter than if you hadn't have put it on in the first place!
I agree with you, that's why I mentioned that it was a very good investment, because it was not the cheapest one! It was quite expensive and have a good ventilation. That's why I'm never wet anymore.

Reactions: pwarbi
Weatherwear is important when cycling, and especially if you use the bike for commuting in a daily basis in bad weather. I'm quite, well...soft these days and if the weather is looking alright I'll go to work on the bike, but anything other than dry and fine I'll get in the car.

Getting too old now for all-weather cycling like I used to do, haha!

If the weather forecast shows it is going to rain I always grab a one time use rain coat with me to prevent being in wet clothing the whole day. In addition I acquired new wider mudguards for my bike to prevent mud getting on my equipment or clothes.

Last week I went to the Smokey Mountains Nation State park in Tennessee, and on Wednesday I decided to ride the park roads, it began to sprinkle so I put on my $12 rain jacket and my helmet cover and started riding, before long it was downpouring and very windy. I rode in that for 20 miles, only my hands, face, legs and feet got wet and cold, but almost a week after the ride I still haven't caught a cold.

The weird part of that ride was this one section I got on called the Loop, and it had two sections warning bikers to get off and walk their bikes because it was too steep down...what? I rode down steeper grades than either of those two in California and never dismounted the bike! So I rode the bike down those grades in the rain and didn't have any issues...other than the rain and wind, but those two didn't cause me to crash and burn.

Reactions: YaBuoy
Just rode 30km home for the first time in a downpour with heavy head winds. Didnt have a choice really. The only wet weather gear I had was a raincoat. My shoes, shorts and full finger gloves all got thoroughly soaked. The rain jacket (hood up under the helmet) kept my core dry and protected from the wind and my sunglasses kept my eyes clear of water.

Had my front and rear lights on, stuck to the footpaths as much as possible and didnt have any issues with traffic.

For future foul weather commutes i will be investing in a set of waterproof gloves, pants and boot covers.

If it's hot outside and a rain storm pops up, which they tend to do in NE Indiana, I actually find it refreshing to get soaked, once the rain stops it only takes about 15 to 20 minutes to dry out completely, the jersey dries the fastest followed by my shorts than my hair, then my socks. But if it's cool outside and see there might be a chance for rain then I carry my rain jacket and maybe rain pants depending on the outside temp, and my shoe covers. I don't like to carry a backpack when riding but sometimes I have to. Every now and then it says there's no chance for rain but it does anyways and it's cool outside I try to find shelter, I've gone into barns, overhangs connected to whatever, once I got permission from a homeowner to hang out on their front porch. Most of these fast moving sudden storms only last from 2 to 10 minutes around here.

Reactions: YaBuoy
I would say, just DON`T ride in the rain. :D

But if you do, of course, gloves, raincoat and a hat and some kind of glasses.
When I was in search of new commuter bike I stumbled upon a great article about how to choose the best commuter bike, but the article was not only about choosing the best commuter bike for myself. There was a section about raincoats and riding in the rain and in bad weather overall. If I remember right that section was somewhere at the end of that article https://velosock.com/blog/105-best-commuter-bike-guide

I think that information will be useful for everyone who has to commute in bad weather.

Hope this info helps to clear some bad thoughts.

Cheers guys

Well, I for one, has tried biking in the rain. It's a good thing that usually, it rains in our place by the time I go home. I usually ride in my bike, with one hand holding the handle, whilst the other holding an umbrella. It's like riding with one hand. However, I really tend to ride my bike as slowly as possible to avoid slipping in the road.

I don't really like biking when raining because not only is the road is more slippery making you more susceptible to accidents, but I really don't like having my clothes wet. I can take a light drizzle though but only when I'm close to home.

I think it's not recommendable to use bike during rainy days, unless just for fun. But if you have some specific place to go, like work, meeting, or some appointments, it's not necessary to bring the bike.