Commuting into London

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bob, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I'm considering commuting (cycling)into London from Sidcup, Kent. This a a journey of around 12
    miles I believe.

    If anyone else does this or similar can they please advise on the best route. (Best for me would
    mean safest rather than quickest).

    Any other advice would also be welcome. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm considering commuting (cycling)into London from Sidcup, Kent. This a a journey of around 12
    > miles I believe.
    >
    > If anyone else does this or similar can they please advise on the best
    route.
    > (Best for me would mean safest rather than quickest).
    >
    > Any other advice would also be welcome. Thanks.

    I'd suggest getting your hands on one of these .. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/cycle_guide.shtml

  3. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:43:51 -0800, Bob wrote:

    > I'm considering commuting (cycling)into London from Sidcup, Kent. This a a journey of around 12
    > miles I believe.
    >
    > If anyone else does this or similar can they please advise on the best route. (Best for me would
    > mean safest rather than quickest).

    You mean avoiding the Sidcup bypass?

    You could do worse than get hold of the London Cycle Guide No 16 Phone 020772221234 for a free copy.

    The London Cycling Campaign can help http://www.lcc.org.uk

  4. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    On 3 Feb 2004 09:43:51 -0800, [email protected] (Bob) wrote:

    >I'm considering commuting (cycling)into London from Sidcup, Kent. This a a journey of around 12
    >miles I believe.
    >
    >If anyone else does this or similar can they please advise on the best route. (Best for me would
    >mean safest rather than quickest).
    >
    >Any other advice would also be welcome.

    I used to commute from Lewisham to central London (Gloucester Road) at 6am for a 7am start. I used
    to slip stream the 36B to Vauxhall. However, I don't think that's what you have in mind, and
    besides, they've long since retired the old and slow RT busses on that route.

    I suggest you make your way to Avery Hill, Well Hall Roundabout, Blackheath Standard, Greenwich (via
    the Park) then follow the Thames Path to central London. You can choose which bridge to cross.

  5. Davep

    Davep Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > I'm considering commuting (cycling)into London from Sidcup, Kent. This a a journey of around 12
    > miles I believe.
    >
    > If anyone else does this or similar can they please advise on the best route. (Best for me would
    > mean safest rather than quickest).
    >
    > Any other advice would also be welcome. Thanks.

    I can't help with the route but I do a similar distance (14 miles). You should definitely consider
    cycling shorts, base layer and jersey(s). A lightweight shower/windproof roll-up jacket and
    overshoes ( I use Eager overshoes ) will take care of rainy journeys. I take shirts and undies in to
    work on Monday and bring them home on Friday. I get trousers dry-cleaned near where I work and have
    access to a shower.

    For many years I used the same route coming from SW London , what I call the "Northern Line" route.
    With busier roads and more traffic lights I've started to seek out a less congested commute.
    Sometimes it adds one or two miles but it's safer, more enjoyable and less stressful.

    davep