Commuting into London

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

I'm considering commuting (cycling)into London from Sidcup, Kent. This a a journey of around 12
miles I believe.

If anyone else does this or similar can they please advise on the best route. (Best for me would
mean safest rather than quickest).

Any other advice would also be welcome. Thanks.

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm considering commuting (cycling)into London from Sidcup, Kent. This a a journey of around 12
> miles I believe.
>
> If anyone else does this or similar can they please advise on the best
route.
> (Best for me would mean safest rather than quickest).
>
> Any other advice would also be welcome. Thanks.

I'd suggest getting your hands on one of these .. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/cycle_guide.shtml

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:43:51 -0800, Bob wrote:

> I'm considering commuting (cycling)into London from Sidcup, Kent. This a a journey of around 12
> miles I believe.
>
> If anyone else does this or similar can they please advise on the best route. (Best for me would
> mean safest rather than quickest).

You mean avoiding the Sidcup bypass?

You could do worse than get hold of the London Cycle Guide No 16 Phone 020772221234 for a free copy.

The London Cycling Campaign can help http://www.lcc.org.uk

On 3 Feb 2004 09:43:51 -0800, [email protected] (Bob) wrote:

>I'm considering commuting (cycling)into London from Sidcup, Kent. This a a journey of around 12
>miles I believe.
>
>If anyone else does this or similar can they please advise on the best route. (Best for me would
>mean safest rather than quickest).
>
>Any other advice would also be welcome.

I used to commute from Lewisham to central London (Gloucester Road) at 6am for a 7am start. I used
to slip stream the 36B to Vauxhall. However, I don't think that's what you have in mind, and
besides, they've long since retired the old and slow RT busses on that route.

I suggest you make your way to Avery Hill, Well Hall Roundabout, Blackheath Standard, Greenwich (via
the Park) then follow the Thames Path to central London. You can choose which bridge to cross.

Bob wrote:

> miles I believe.
>
> If anyone else does this or similar can they please advise on the best route. (Best for me would
> mean safest rather than quickest).
>
> Any other advice would also be welcome. Thanks.

I can't help with the route but I do a similar distance (14 miles). You should definitely consider
cycling shorts, base layer and jersey(s). A lightweight shower/windproof roll-up jacket and
overshoes ( I use Eager overshoes ) will take care of rainy journeys. I take shirts and undies in to
work on Monday and bring them home on Friday. I get trousers dry-cleaned near where I work and have
access to a shower.

For many years I used the same route coming from SW London , what I call the "Northern Line" route.
With busier roads and more traffic lights I've started to seek out a less congested commute.
Sometimes it adds one or two miles but it's safer, more enjoyable and less stressful.

davep

Status
Not open for further replies.