Commuting Report: Week 1

Jeff Williams

Guest
I just started commuting by bike to school. I thought I'd try posting a weekly summary of my
experiences, FWIW.

A bit of background. I'm commuting from home to the continuing ed department of the University of
Winnipeg. The route I take avoids major arteries and is about 7.5 miles end to end. I recently
bought a used mountain bike for the commute as I really don't want to ride my good road bike in the
winter nor do I wish to park it unattended in downtown Winnipeg for any length of time. I topped 40
this year and I need to lose some weight (about 35lbs, give or take). I hope to cycle right through
the winter. That will depend on how the bike performs (it has a front fork suspension system that
some, but not all, advisors claim won't work in the winter) and how well the city clears the roads I
use (hard packed, rutted snow probably will be no fun for cycling) - I'm not obsessed.

This week's results: I rode to class 4 times (nasty headache on Wednesday sent me walking to the
bus) for about 60 miles total distance. I'm taking about 40 minutes each way, on average. Coldest
ride: -6C including windchill.

This week's observations: Living west of the school is bad since prevailing winds almost always have
a western component. Minimum wind speed seems to occur about the time I ride to class.

There are a lot more bicycle commuters in Winnipeg than I expected. I wonder if they ride in
the winter.

Pedestrians seem to have less sense when they see cyclists than do drivers.

Possession of a driver's licence guarantees neither intelligence nor common sense.

--
Jeff Williams To reply, swap the obvious bits in the return address.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Jeff Williams" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I just started commuting by bike to school. I thought I'd try posting a weekly summary of my
> experiences, FWIW.

> A bit of background. I'm commuting from home to the continuing ed department of the University of
> Winnipeg. The route I take avoids major arteries and is about 7.5 miles end to end. I recently
> bought a used mountain bike for the commute as I really don't want to ride my good road bike in
> the winter nor do I wish to park it unattended in downtown Winnipeg for any length of time. I
> topped 40 this year and I need to lose some weight (about 35lbs, give or take). I hope to cycle
> right through the winter. That will depend on how the bike performs (it has a front fork
> suspension system that some, but not all, advisors claim won't work in the winter) and how well
> the city clears the roads I use (hard packed, rutted snow probably will be no fun for cycling) -
> I'm not obsessed.

You're riding on city streets? The suspension fork will not do anything important. If you're feeling
mechanical, replace it with a rigid fork for a small weight loss. You did already replace the knobby
tires with road tires, right?

As for the snow issues, how devoted to riding through the winter are you? MEC sells a studded
snow tire.

> This week's results: I rode to class 4 times (nasty headache on Wednesday sent me walking to the
> bus) for about 60 miles total distance. I'm taking about 40 minutes each way, on average. Coldest
> ride: -6C including windchill.

Congratulations!

In article <[email protected]>, Jeff Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
>I just started commuting by bike to school. I thought I'd try posting a weekly summary of my
>experiences, FWIW.

Hi Jeff. interesting, and good for you to get back into biking at 40-something. Beware of those
pedestrians! They do strange things. You hollar 'passing on your Left' (like in Skiing), and they
turn around and see you and look at you and then back away -to- the left. <g> I've now taken to
hollaring 'BIKE!', and then trying to avoid them. However where I ride we have free range dogs, and
dogs on leashes. ;-)

<snippage>
>This week's results: I rode to class 4 times (nasty headache on Wednesday sent me walking to the
>bus) for about 60 miles total distance. I'm taking about 40 minutes each way, on average. Coldest
>ride: -6C including windchill.

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Are you just wearing street clothes and a coat and gloves, or do you use
a ski mask?

[One suggestion. If you're trying to drop weight, you might consider cutting back on dietary sugar
and starch. Just before the ride, you can eat a little carbs.]

Best,

-Badger

>This week's observations: Living west of the school is bad since prevailing winds almost always
>have a western component. Minimum wind speed seems to occur about the time I ride to class.
>
>There are a lot more bicycle commuters in Winnipeg than I expected. I wonder if they ride in
>the winter.
>
>Pedestrians seem to have less sense when they see cyclists than do drivers.
>
>Possession of a driver's licence guarantees neither intelligence nor common sense.
>
>--
>Jeff Williams To reply, swap the obvious bits in the return address.

--
[email protected]

> You're riding on city streets? The suspension fork will not do anything important. If you're
> feeling mechanical, replace it with a rigid fork for a small weight loss. You did already replace
> the knobby tires with road tires, right?

While I will agree with Ryan about the tires, whether or not you keep the suspension is really up to
you, the roads you ride, and where else you might take your bike. I commuted on a full-suspension
for several years for two reasons: first, I only had space for one bike and two sets of wheels (one
with knobbies) meant I could prowl the streets during the week and bomb the trails on the weekend.
Second, the suspension really helped on a couple of really bad segments of my ride. The roads there
were nothing but patches laid upon patches for blocks at a time. Suspension really made a huge
difference.

Whether or not your suspension will work in the cold depends on whether it uses springs or
elastomers. Elastomers will harden and become useless in the winter. A good set of replacement
springs will keep it going. You may also have to use a lighter grease.

Enjoy the ride!

-Buck

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
: As for the snow issues, how devoted to riding through the winter are you? MEC sells a studded
: snow tire.

ryan, aren't studded snow tyres just a theoretical possibility to you?

winnipeg, minneapolis -- damn near the same thing. 'cept that i'm pretty sure minneapolis is a part
of ontario and not manitoba. brother, you don't need studs, you don't even need wide tyres. you need
spin and balance, patience and a really good jacket. when you go down the snow is pretty soft.
riding in snow is an *enormous* amount of fun.

get good lights.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

>when you go down the snow is pretty soft.

When you go down on a frozen city street it ain't so pretty.

This happened to me last winter but all was cool, I ripped up my leg but it wasn't terminal.

I'm in favor of big tires, slow speeds and low gears in these situations.

And you might want to lower the seat, if I'd been able to dab more effectively I probably wouldn't
have crashed.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

David Reuteler <[email protected]> writes:

> winnipeg, minneapolis -- damn near the same thing. 'cept that i'm pretty sure minneapolis is a
> part of ontario and not manitoba.

<grin> reminds me of the Rocky & Bullwinkle episode where the residents of Frostbite Falls are so
unproud of their city, they're trying to push it onto the /other/ side of the border.

And meeting resistance as the other side pushes back.

cheers, Tom