commuting smugness

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by joemarshall, May 12, 2004.

  1. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    I'm feeling a smug glow today, cos I've finally broken the 12 mph
    barrier on my way to work on my 29er.

    It might not seem like much, but there are 39 sets of traffic lights
    along the 8.5 miles to work and pretty heavy traffic jams. It's taken me
    612 miles since I started recording speeds to beat 12mph. I got caught
    by about 10 lights today, but I think none of them for more than 25
    seconds or so.

    All the traffic lights are great for fitness, stopping at them is kind
    of like interval training. You get pretty good variation too, most of
    the way they're just random, but there's one 2 mile section where the
    lights are timed to work for someone going at about 13mph, which means I
    have a really nice sprint to try to catch them all.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde

  2. joe

    joe Guest

    Jeo, is that a 12mph top speed, or a 12mph average speed?

    39 sets of lights!? Woah! Thats kinda alot!

    Are there many cycles lanes to use, or you got to mingle with the
    traffic?

    Joe,

    --
    joe - Who needs cranks anyways?

    :cool: *www.cool.unicyclist.com* :cool:

    'I like to show off in front of people not to show them what I can do,
    but to show them what can be done on a unicycle' - Sofa

    'SIXSIXONE' (http://www.sixsixone.com)
    joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

  3. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    Amazing achievement, against which my own are but humble and pathetic.

    I saw the article about you in the AA (RAC?)magazine. Do you really
    commute in a bowler hat and with brolly and briefcase? If so, it makes
    your achievement all the more annoying for us mere mortals.:(

    --
    Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

    Some days you're the fly; some days you're the windscreen. When you're
    the fly, you get to eat sh*t.

  4. gkmac

    gkmac Guest

    joemarshall wrote:
    > *there's one 2 mile section where the lights are timed to work for
    > someone going at about 13mph, which means I have a really nice sprint
    > to try to catch them all. *

    Many cities have roads where the traffic lights are designed to do that.
    I believe it's called a "green wave".

    --
    gkmac - Level 1 + idle
    gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577

  5. chirokid

    chirokid Guest

    joemarshall wrote:
    > *I'm feeling a smug glow today,
    >
    > but there's one 2 mile section where the lights are timed to work for
    > someone going at about 13mph, which means I have a really nice sprint
    > to try to catch them all.
    >
    > Joe *

    A two mile sprint on your unicycle? You should feel SMUG. --chirokid--

    --
    chirokid - Wolfman 2004: Unicycle Catagory

    "Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
    helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
    quote by Mikefule

    chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

  6. joemarshall wrote:
    > *
    > All the traffic lights are great for fitness, stopping at them is kind
    > of like interval training.
    > Joe *

    That's fantastic, I can't think of any other form of transport where red
    traffic lights can be considered fun and enjoyable.

    Matt

    --
    Matt.P.Herbert - Muni Hungry Newbie

    Two wheels good, Four wheels bad,
    One wheel wonderful.
    Matt.P.Herbert's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5486

  7. GizmoDuck

    GizmoDuck Guest

    Cool- that's great going for a 29'er- was that on 125mm cranks?

    Makes me want to start commuting to work again- don't have that many
    traffic lights though :p. Just lot's bumpy potholes because the council
    keep digging up the roads.

    Ken

    --
    GizmoDuck - Adventure unicyclist

    o-kO

  8. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    It was 12.1mph average speed. I've got 125mm cranks on because I like to
    ride it offroad sometimes, which makes it similar to a stock coker. I
    guess 110s would be a bit faster, but I'm not in that much of a hurry.
    It's pretty much all on major roads, a few of them have bus lanes which
    are good for getting past jams. I don't use cycle lanes unless they're
    really good shortcuts, because they slow you down and don't make you any
    safer.

    The lights are insane, but a lot of them are pedestrian crossings, where
    you can see if someone is going to press the button and speed up to try
    and beat the red light. It's because London as a city was never really
    designed, it just sort of happened, so there are loads of junctions and
    also because there are a lot of pedestrians about who need to cross
    over. Once you've been riding for a bit, you know a lot of the
    sequences, so you know if you really need to hurry somewhere or not.

    I think I'd previously had a bit of a plateau, where I just couldn't
    spin faster than I was, I'm not sure what I've done, but I've got that
    little bit more spin going on all of a sudden. It's possibly due to
    doing more swimming and being a little bit more flexible in the legs. I
    think if you're commuting it's easy to get into a groove, but if you
    conciously push yourself a little bit once every couple of days you can
    really improve quickly which is nice.

    Joe

    (ps. I don't actually have a suit or a bowler hat, let alone ride to
    work in them)

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde

  9. BungleBanks

    BungleBanks Guest

    no suit and bowler? DAMMIT all this time we have been showing that
    picture to everyone!!!!!!

    i cant go on!
    bungle

    --
    BungleBanks - Wooden Chipmunk!

    So many people ask me "if i can ride that thing?" and i say "no i just
    push it round for fun!"
    BungleBanks's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5830

  10. Wow, what a coincidence! Today I was waiting for the bus as I was 2
    miles and 2 large hills from school, when it hit me that it wasn't going
    to come in time. I checked my watch and it said 7:50:23. I had to be at
    school by 8:00:00. Any later and I got detention. I decideds to go for
    the ride at 7:50:32. I hit the stop watch and went. I hit 5 green lights
    out of 7, and the two red were only 15 sec. So, I pant through the doors
    into school at 7:59:48, and hit the stopwatch. 9 minutes, 16 seconds! I
    too broke the twelve-mph barrier. It helped that I now commute on a
    24x3.0 fireball with 158s, so I can simply fly. Also, I was in a mad
    rush because I had a dentist appointment right after school, and
    couldn't be late because of detention. I love big wheels (can't wait for
    a 29er, even if it's about a year off).

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?

  11. paul royle

    paul royle Guest

    That's cool Joe.

    I've gotta get a 29er, then I can start commuting by Uni too.

    Paul

    PS A guy at work asked if I was the guy who unicycles through Chiswick
    with a hockey stick, I guess he was talking about you.

    --
    paul royle - Newbie
    paul royle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5572