Commuting to work in Melbourne

haagen

New Member
Nov 29, 2003
I'm thinking about doing the bike commute from Richmond to Moorabbin. Thing is I need to find a bike freindly route. So I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any good maps of the bike paths/bike lanes etc in Melbourne.

Originally posted by haagen
I'm thinking about doing the bike commute from Richmond to Moorabbin. Thing is I need to find a bike freindly route. So I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any good maps of the bike paths/bike lanes etc in Melbourne.
A good way to work these sorts of things out would be to look at a Melways for potential routes, then scout them a bit (either by bike or car) to see how viable they are.

On first glance the most bike-friendly route I can suggest is to make it onto Beaconsfield Pde/Beach Rd somehow (perhaps by Capital City Trail, followed by City Rd/Bay St), and follow that down to South Rd? It's not a particularly distance-efficient route but it would be somewhat friendlier than other more direct options I can think of..

Or follow a on road route from Richmond
Church > Chapel > Brighton Road > Nepean Hwy

The bike paths in the Melways are marked in red. Even the most obsure paths are in there and this is
probab;y th emost comprehensive source. Melways also tends to be the most up to date and all the
other bicycle maps probably get their info from here.

In terms of commuting to work everyday, I suggest trying different routes regularly. This enhances
the joy of riding in discovering places you'd normally miss in a car or on public transport.

news:[email protected]...

"Jake" <j@com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The bike paths in the Melways are marked in red. Even the most obsure
paths
> are in there and this is probab;y th emost comprehensive source. Melways also tends to be the most
> up to date and all the other bicycle maps
probably
> get their info from here.

Yes I have the small spiral-bound bike map book that is commonly available in bookshops and it is
hard to follow on the ground as it omits much of the detail. Melways is much easier to follow but is
is much bulkier and heavier.

If you look in the middle of many real estate agents magazines (consisting of house ads), they
often have reprints of Melways maps of the local area. These can be ripped out and taken on a ride
more easily.

I wouldn't advise napean highway, its very depressing atmosphere to ride in and will deter a novice
from continuing the journey. Sorry to be picky though, I jsut think that with cars whizzing past so
fast you get a feeling of inadequacy and theres nothing aesthetically beautiful on napean, car
dealers and wharehouse merchants. "cfsmtb" <spam@spameggs&spam.com.vic> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Or follow a on road route from Richmond Church > Chapel > Brighton Road
> > Nepean Hwy
>

> --

Originally posted by haagen
I'm thinking about doing the bike commute from Richmond to Moorabbin. Thing is I need to find a bike freindly route. So I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any good maps of the bike paths/bike lanes etc in Melbourne.

If I were you I'd be going down Beach Rd then cutting back up South rd. Might be a bit longer, but there's less traffic, especially when you're going the opposite way to the main traffic flow.

This might be worth a look:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne...14C4D3F037CA256DB3001C300C?OpenDocument&Area=[Cyclists]

haagen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm thinking about doing the bike commute from Richmond to Moorabbin. Thing is I need to find a
> bike freindly route. So I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any good maps of the bike paths/bike
> lanes etc in Melbourne.

I would suggest Yarra Trail to Gardiner's Creek trail, then leave the trail at East Malvern Station
then riding up Belgrave-Murumbeena-East Boundry Roads which will take you to South Road. All three
of these roads have painted on bike lanes.

You have to take care around Murumbeena Station where the bike lane disappeareas (of course) and the
traffic builds up.

All in all it's not a bad route and I use it for my commute most days from East Bentleigh to the
City (and beyond.........)