Commuting to Work?

NYYTEX22

Dec 18, 2005
Does anybody commute to work on your bike? Does your fellow employees give you any ****? Let's get some good stories going!

Reactions: haleylx4
I have a very nice 5 mile commute in to work in the morning over the lovely roads in Trenton NJ. My co-workers gave me a biot of grief at first, but now I have one who doesn't commute but does ride with me during the evening or weekends. I never get called Lance though (lol!).

Yes. Occasionally, but mostly they tell me that they admire/envy me for sticking with it. I get a lot of encouragement, and definitely a ton more compliments than jeers. A lady on her way in this morning asked me, "Wasn't it cold out this morning?" I said, "Yeah." She replied, "You're crazy." That is as close to any kind of **** as I think I have ever gotten.

NYYTEX22 said:
Does anybody commute to work on your bike? Does your fellow employees give you any ****? Let's get some good stories going!

not really,
in our company of 100+ people id' day about 2 people per day on average cycle. I contribute 0.5 to that figure.

One colleague cycles regular as clockwork and I do get stick of him when i miss commute rides - 'slacker!' - fair enough :).
But .. my ride is about 1.7x the length; I do more cycling for its own sake, (e.g. lunch hour rides, extending my route when i do ride etc) & time in the gym. As such he ALSO gives me stick for being a fitness fanatic.
Go figure..

(Actually come to think of it I do get a little stick generally for other parts of my regime .. e.g. weighing my oats to count cals etc etc than I do for cycling to work.)

Just got myself a bike again after years of not riding bicycles. I do ride motorcycles all year round in London so am used to the cold...

Having given my friend at work years of abuse about his 125cc motorcycle I am now at the receiving end of some serious what goes around comes around lol... but its worth it!

P

I ride everyday back and forth. Folks at work are amazed when it's snowing out, but never gotten any static about it. Occasionally someone from work seeing me carving traffic as I ride and then they really think I'm nuts. lol

I usually get **** for two things -

1. My bright flouro yellow rain vest (for when the weather gets foul)
2. cycling knicks (on the days i'm not wearing baggy cycling shorts)

There's five of us who ride in out of an office of about 30 and we pay out on each other as well for all sorts of things. It's all friendly banter and others say they would like to ride in but they live too far away.

I ride 30 miles roundtrip to work/school everyday, but then a lot of people ride to work here, in Tucson. Zero comments.

I dream of riding my bike to work. I have a 15 mile ride and two thirds of it are on beautiful paved bike paths that follow the Scioto river and cut across town from east to west. I figure there will be only about 30 days a year I'll need to drive. I do it on Saturdays sometimes just to prove I can. I am a field service tech and I must drive (I do 50 thousand miles a year). Some day and hopefully soon I'll be in the office and then bicycle commuting will be feasable.

I'm only about 5 miles away from work. So its great for a brisk sprint ride to work. I didnt get any **** from anyone since a few ride to work as well. The best is hearing the jealous folks who commute over an hour and live too far away to even think about riding.

I do get **** from motorists. They yell for me to ride on the sidewalk or whatever else. I got used to riding my fixed gear and bmx bike in DC so I'm used to giving people **** when they get caught at the red light just as I pull up next to them.

ohiobiker said:
I dream of riding my bike to work. I have a 15 mile ride and two thirds of it are on beautiful paved bike paths that follow the Scioto river and cut across town from east to west. I figure there will be only about 30 days a year I'll need to drive. I do it on Saturdays sometimes just to prove I can. I am a field service tech and I must drive (I do 50 thousand miles a year). Some day and hopefully soon I'll be in the office and then bicycle commuting will be feasable.

In May of this year, I'll mark four years of commuting to work via bike or bus/bike combo about 90 percent of work days (17 miles, one way). I love it, and I'll never go back to full-time auto commuting.

I don't get any flak from co-workers, but I do get a lot of unrequested sympathy. When it's raining hard (as it has been for weeks) my co-workers are always wanting to give me a ride, or telling me to be extra careful. They mean well, but I really don't want sympathy; I happen to enjoy riding, even in the rain.

When the weather is good here near the upper left coast of North America, as many as 15 or 20 of the roughly 2,000 employees at my workplace ride to work and back. This time of year, I'm the only one. I rather like being the only one, mostly because the "fair weather" riders get in the way, sucking up the few secure "mooring posts" and consistently "storing" their bicycles at work for those lunchtime fitness rides.

One thing I have noticed through the years is that if you're a thirty or forty-something male and you ride a bicycle, or worse the bus, people assume you must have received a DUI.

One thing I have noticed through the years is that if you're a thirty or forty-something male and you ride a bicycle, or worse the bus, people assume you must have received a DUI.

LOL...... A bonus being my wife brags about my 40 year old rock hard lower body.

Ike90 said:
Here's something that you must have missed while you were busy learning that...most people don't spend nearly as much time thinking about you as you think they do. ;)

I've been planning to. My commute is 45 miles, one way, with a fairly serious climb in the middle. I figure I'll ride to work in the morning, which should take at least three hours, and then catch a ride back home in the evening with someone who lives near me.

I've realized that, until we change the clocks again in the spring, this is the only way I can ride in daylight during the week. I've just recovered from a bad case of acchiles tendinitis, thanks to therapy, so I'm still easing back into riding and building up my mileage. I also need to shed about 70 pounds and I can't wait til spring to get in some serious riding. I'm hoping to try this in a couple of weeks.

By the way, there is a shower in my office building :)

WORD to the showers...I have full showers and change facilities here too. AND a gym if I want to spin at lunch. Take care of the tendinitis Wolf, ouch. I froze my knee one year when being a messenger and the whole next year sucked for riding. Go slow.

I commute on my hybrid/ MTB 18Km each way . It is a pretty good ride and I stick with it until the snow hits and the roads get salted. Then the drivers get extra bad and I would much rather not commute through the heart of town at that point. I do my riding inside or on the weekends. Come March I will probably get back to the regular commute.

I do have a shower and locker at work which is great and each a washer and drier for those rainy days. It is so much nicer putting on dry clothes than wet ones.

rule62 said:
Here's something that you must have missed while you were busy learning that...most people don't spend nearly as much time thinking about you as you think they do.

Would that were true.

I have been cyclo-commuting for so long it's second nature. Some of my co workers envy me for being in my mid 50s and looking 25 years younger, and having the energy to match, not to mention all the gas money I save. I do not
proselytize, though if anyone asks my advice re cyclocommuting I try to
be friendly and helpful. I am extremely hardcore, I do not feel the cold and only a very heavy rain will get me to drive.

I commute to work. It's my favorite part of the workday! Not in the winter though as it gets too cold, snowy, icy here (at least for me). My commute is about 30 miles round trip. I work in a small office so no one really gives me any **** about it.