Commuting To Work

OGRICHBOI

Feb 16, 2015
I used to commute to work two years ago, because my car was (for a lack of a better term) crappy. Milage was horrible, and it was a used car. Anyway, my wife was able to surprise me with a brand new Honda Civic last year, and I am in love with it. However, I am looking more into commuting to work again. To test it out, I went last week and had a fairly bad experience. But you guys helped me to brush it off my shoulder.

Also, I noticed that I was a bit rusty on the road. I didn't put anyone in danger, but I could still improve. What do you recommend me to do to get back into commuting?

I've been biking to work for years now. Just my prefered way of doing things. I think you should bone up on hand signals & ride in a less populated situation. Like a lesiurely ride on days you don't work to get more comfortable. If you're unaware of the bike laws where you are bone up on that as well. It helps. You may not follow them 100% but it gives you a general idea of what's expected.

Don't quit so easily. In the end the best commutes I have ever had to work were on a bike. In a car it gets stressful & fustrating but you don't quit that because you have to get to work. Laugh it off & let it go.

Commuting is definitely a good alternative, but it definitely depends on the commuting situation in the country where you lived. I was raised in a third world country and transportation is certainly not reliable. Buses are way too packed and even the trains. If you decide to ride a bike to work, it will be more of a hassle because of pollution that you will encounter along the way.

When I eventually moved to a first world country, I totally saw the difference. Biking is much much more enjoyable because you have your own bike lane. Also, you can even ride the bus or train with your bike and there are spots in there where you can safely park your bike. If this is the case, then commuting or biking to work is really not an issue and I don't mind ditching my car for it.

I never tried to commute regularly to work but I managed to commute to church regularly and I know that in the beginning was hard. 6 miles was a big hurdle for a beginner cyclist when I just started to commute and the bike that I used was not the best bike either. However, once I get used to the commuting routine, I managed to enjoy it without letting my mind wander around (which is dangerous) or without listening to an MP3 player (which is also dangerous). The key is to love cycling first. Once you loved the whole cycling, you will see your commute not as a way of getting to work but as a hobby that you do before work. I know that it is all in my mind and different people have different things that work for them but I just want to share what I experienced.

I've been riding my bike to work for over a year now, and mind you, I now live in a place where traffic is absolute chaos. In the beginning my heart was beating in my throat by the time I made it to my work place. But I got over it after a month or so. These days I just enter the flow and pay attention in every direction... and then some. I'd say, don't worry too much about being rustic, just go out there and slowly get used to the road again. Pull to the side of the road if you feel insecure, even stop for a while. Gradually, you will get back into the swing of things again.

Give yourself more time than you need and take a pace you are comfortale with. Don't worry about how long it takes to get there. When I started, I made a point to take it slow and careful until I had a good feel for how things go. When you get on your bike, just tell yourself you have all the time in the world, just be safe. It won't take long to get the hang of the flow of traffic and whatever turns you have to make. Sometimes I still have to use the crosswalk for left turns because it isn't safe to make the lane change, so just keep that in mind. You never have to do something that feels risky. Just play it safe. If you can make the turn safely take it, otherwise just hop off and use the cross walk and get back on at the ther side.

Sometimes, we lose our edge with commuting if we don't ride often enough. Just make sure you're paying attention to the road and following the rules of the road. Then make sure you're alert and ready for any unexpected incidents. After a few more rides, then you should feel comfortable on the road once again.

Well, I'm working from home these days so there's no need to commute. Most of my cycling is for enjoyment purposes and to do the few errands around town. Nevertheless, when I'm in town I tend to be very alert on the roads. Too many negligent drivers and pedestrians out there that could easily cause a fatal accident. I abide by all road rules and try to stick to them in the most harrowing situations.

gavinfree said:
Sometimes, we lose our edge with commuting if we don't ride often enough. Just make sure you're paying attention to the road and following the rules of the road. Then make sure you're alert and ready for any unexpected incidents. After a few more rides, then you should feel comfortable on the road once again.
That's what I'm afraid of. I've been away from biking for almost a year now and sometimes I would be melancholic that's why some of my posts seems that I am still on the bike. As I had posted so many times, this swelling on my leg is the problem. I'm also scared that it would be aggravated if I would insist on riding. This thread gives me more scare to think that I might be edgy when I ride again after a long layoff from the road. But I really miss riding.

When I'm working myself back into commuting by bike I try to get out on the road as much as possible at off times, just to get used to being out in the traffic. On my way to work I'm usually preoccupied and in a bit of a rush, so I like to get some cycling time in when I'm not stressing out to get somewhere. Once I start feeling more comfortable on the road again commuting gets a lot easier.

I also try to leave myself some extra time to get where I'm going, especially when I'm first getting back into commuting. I feel safer cycling when I'm not stressed or in a rush, and worst case scenario I arrive early and have time to grab a coffee before work :)