Commuting: urban ve suburban

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by HellonWheels, Aug 12, 2004.

1. HellonWheels

HellonWheels New Member

I spent most of my life in Philadelphia, and used my bike to go to work, get groceries, etc back in the 1970s, 1980s, etc (then followed a long lapse in bike riding due to marriage/kids)...

anyway, 2 yrs ago we moved to the burbs, and I find advantages to riding out here. Usually I'm the only bike and cars don't come very often (unless I'm on the major routes.) Out here, drivers seem more courteous and more willing to wave me on.

In the city they were downright RUDE, I got doored all the time by parked asshole old ppl who wouold then blame ME for BEING there when they opened their freaking door into traffic and me (sorry needed to vent even after all these years).

I'm debating taking my bike into Philly from here by transit, to ride in Philly again, many years after my earlier city experience, but am wonderign if its a good idea, esp with my older son and/or daughter and their bikes.

Another thing I think: my kind of bikes (3 speeds) would be more likely to be stolen in Philly than here, because in Philly lots of delivery ppl, etc use 3 speeds and they'd want my bike for parts. Out here in the burbs I doubt they'd steal a bike unless it is a Trek or Cannondale (lol!)

Any thoughts?

Tags:

2. Brunswick_kate

Brunswick_kate New Member

You can't get doored if you don't put yourself in the "door zone".

3. HellonWheels

HellonWheels New Member

Have you ever ridden on South Philly narrow streets? There is no other place to ride but in the itsy bitsy space between the cars going down the narrow streets and the parked cars. Worst part is if a SEPTA bus is coming down the street at the same time! And its not just South Philly, much of Philly the streets are narrow with cars sometimes double parked.

4. JTE83

JTE83 Member

What was your biking speed when you got doored? What kind of damage did you sustain from a door crash (bike and you)?

I got doored once just as I turned into a street from a parking lot. Luckily I wasn't going fast yet. My STI's were bent and so was my handlebar alignment. Otherwise, no scratches on me or my $3129 bike.

5. fatbottomedgirl

fatbottomedgirl New Member

Hey HellOnWheels: Bicycling Magazine is doing a biketown project in Philladelphia - may be worth checking out.

I live in the burbs- and the &**^$#$'n meth-users will steal cheap bikes to sell for the metal -they've even been stealing bridge cables here! :mad: On the good side- a lot of wide well-maintained bike lanes , and at my end of town, a lot of cops cruising the neighborhoods. (I'm thinking this is why I haven't had anything thrown at me in the 3 yrs I've been commuting).
    The one thing Portland has that my burb doesn't - critical mass rides .

6. Paul Westberg

Paul Westberg New Member

I have just obtained a cheap folding bike. I have heard some describe their folder as the bike they could least live without, IF, they could only have ONE bike. We will give it a try. I am in the far suburbs of Chicago and may be able to combine it with the train. Illinois JUST passed a law that allows even non-folding bikes on commuter trains (METRA), but this excludes rush hour. I will keep you posted.

If it works out, I would upgrade; perhaps to a Bike Sat-R-Day folding recumbent. Maybe add a roll-up thin Lexan fairing. Maybe a bodysock. Nothing like a FULL fairing to increase aerodynamics. And still stay folding! I know; I'M MAD, I'M MAD.

Paul, rideswithtrucks, Westberg