COMMUTTING AS TRAINING

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter Rollason, Apr 26, 2003.

  1. I tend to only get on Sundays - doing round 50 miles - average speed 14-15 mph. (Road Bike).

    I was thinking of cycling to work (18 mile round trip) but was wondring if this would help or
    hinder me:-

    1. I would be using a older mountain bike for work - it doesn't have clipless pedalls - and I don't
    want them for cycling in traffic - I do have vey small toe clips fitted

    2. Due to traffic - this is very stop start cycling - unlikley to get my HR high.

    Is this going to be of benefit (it will be at the expense of lunchtime gym sessions) or am I best to
    save my exertions - for the weekend.

    Pete.

    Tags:

  2. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

    "Peter Rollason" <peter.rollason@tesco.net> wrote in message

    > COMMUTING AS TRAINING

    Traning for what?

    > I tend to only get on Sundays - doing round 50 miles - average speed 14-15 mph. (Road Bike).
    >
    > I was thinking of cycling to work (18 mile round trip) but was wondring
    if
    > this would help or hinder me:-
    >
    > 1. I would be using a older mountain bike for work - it doesn't have clipless pedalls - and I
    > don't want them for cycling in traffic - I do
    have
    > vey small toe clips fitted
    >
    > 2. Due to traffic - this is very stop start cycling - unlikley to get my
    HR
    > high.

    Depends how you approach it. I just go flat out between traffic lights and other obstacles, hence I
    don't have time to recover during the wait at lights and I'm still respiring at a increased level by
    the time I set off again.

    > Is this going to be of benefit (it will be at the expense of lunchtime gym sessions) or am I best
    > to save my exertions - for the weekend.

    18 miles of stop-start cycling will take what, 90+ minutes?

    How long do you get in the Gym? 45mins, 30 mabe?

    You can save your lunchtime for eating, as God intended, and extend your level of activity - sounds
    like a bargain to me.

    Tim.

  3. "Peter Rollason" <peter.rollason@tesco.net> writes:

    > 2. Due to traffic - this is very stop start cycling - unlikley to get my HR high.

    Urban cycling in traffic may not be the safest possible setting for doing interval training, but by
    God it's fun.

    -dan

    --

    http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Peter Rollason" <peter.rollason@tesco.net> wrote in message
    > I tend to only get on Sundays - doing round 50 miles - average speed 14-15 mph. (Road Bike).
    >
    > I was thinking of cycling to work (18 mile round trip) but was wondring
    if
    > this would help or hinder me:-
    >
    > 1. I would be using a older mountain bike for work - it doesn't have clipless pedalls - and I
    > don't want them for cycling in traffic - I do
    have
    > vey small toe clips fitted
    >
    > 2. Due to traffic - this is very stop start cycling - unlikley to get my
    HR
    > high.

    I commute 24 miles a day and it's a great way of getting miles under your wheels in "work's time".
    I don't have to join an expensive gym, or find time to train and I clock up 5000 miles a year along
    with leisure rides.

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Simon Mason <simon@simonmason.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

    > I commute 24 miles a day and it's a great way of getting miles under your wheels in "work's
    > time". I don't have to join an expensive gym, or find time to train and I clock up 5000 miles a
    > year along with leisure rides.

    Lets see, 5000/24 = .......bloody hell you get a lot of holidays ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  6. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Tony Raven" <junk@raven-family.com> wrote in message
    > Simon Mason <simon@simonmason.karoo.co.uk> wrote:
    > >
    > > I commute 24 miles a day and it's a great way of getting miles under
    your
    > > wheels in "work's time". I don't have to join an expensive gym, or find time to train and I
    > > clock up 5000 miles a year along with leisure rides.
    >
    > Lets see, 5000/24 = .......bloody hell you get a lot of holidays ;-)

    My speedo has just clocked up 2550 miles since OCT 02 and there's summer to come. I did 28
    yesterday on my day off and I will do another 25 tonight because I'm doing 5 night shifts when I
    use the car, so I have to compensate. It's more for weight control than fitness though.

  7. Simon Mason <simon@simonmason.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Tony Raven" <junk@raven-family.com> wrote in message
    > > Simon Mason <simon@simonmason.karoo.co.uk> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I commute 24 miles a day and it's a great way of getting miles under
    > your
    > > > wheels in "work's time". I don't have to join an expensive gym, or
    find
    > > > time to train and I clock up 5000 miles a year along with leisure
    rides.

    > > Lets see, 5000/24 = .......bloody hell you get a lot of holidays ;-)
    > >

    > My speedo has just clocked up 2550 miles since OCT 02 and there's summer
    > come. I did 28 yesterday on my day off and I will do another 25 tonight because I'm doing 5
    > night shifts when I use the car, so I have to compensate. It's more for weight control than
    > fitness though.

    25mpd x 5dpw x 46 weeks = 5750m therefore you do a negative amount of leisure riding or you get 10+
    weeks of leave in which you do no leisure riding, or you get more leave and do some leisure riding.

    1 week in 3 (???) not riding for night shifts changes it all though.

  8. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Andrew Sweetman" <Andrew.Sweetman@btinternet.extra.com> wrote in message

    > Simon Mason <simon@simonmason.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Tony Raven" <junk@raven-family.com> wrote in message

    > > your
    > find
    > rides.
    > > >
    > > > Lets see, 5000/24 = .......bloody hell you get a lot of holidays ;-)
    > > >

    > > My speedo has just clocked up 2550 miles since OCT 02 and there's
    summer
    > > come. I did 28 yesterday on my day off and I will do another 25 tonight because I'm doing 5
    > > night shifts when I use the car, so I have to compensate. It's more for weight control than
    > > fitness though.
    > >

    > 25mpd x 5dpw x 46 weeks = 5750m therefore you do a negative amount of leisure riding or you get
    > 10+ weeks
    of
    > leave in which you do no leisure riding, or you get more leave and do some leisure riding.
    >
    > 1 week in 3 (???) not riding for night shifts changes it all though.

    I am supposed to work 1750 hours a year at a nominal 7.5 hrs per day =
    c. 233 days worked. Roughly 1/3 of these are night shifts when I use the car.

    233 - 78 = 155 morning and afternoon shifts.155 x 24 = 3720 miles leaving 1280 miles for leisure
    rides = 25 miles a week.