COMMUTTING AS TRAINING

Peter Rollason

Guest
I tend to only get on Sundays - doing round 50 miles - average speed 14-15 mph. (Road Bike).

I was thinking of cycling to work (18 mile round trip) but was wondring if this would help or
hinder me:-

1. I would be using a older mountain bike for work - it doesn't have clipless pedalls - and I don't
want them for cycling in traffic - I do have vey small toe clips fitted

2. Due to traffic - this is very stop start cycling - unlikley to get my HR high.

Is this going to be of benefit (it will be at the expense of lunchtime gym sessions) or am I best to
save my exertions - for the weekend.

Pete.

"Peter Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> COMMUTING AS TRAINING

Traning for what?

> I tend to only get on Sundays - doing round 50 miles - average speed 14-15 mph. (Road Bike).
>
> I was thinking of cycling to work (18 mile round trip) but was wondring
if
> this would help or hinder me:-
>
> 1. I would be using a older mountain bike for work - it doesn't have clipless pedalls - and I
> don't want them for cycling in traffic - I do
have
> vey small toe clips fitted
>
> 2. Due to traffic - this is very stop start cycling - unlikley to get my
HR
> high.

Depends how you approach it. I just go flat out between traffic lights and other obstacles, hence I
don't have time to recover during the wait at lights and I'm still respiring at a increased level by
the time I set off again.

> Is this going to be of benefit (it will be at the expense of lunchtime gym sessions) or am I best
> to save my exertions - for the weekend.

18 miles of stop-start cycling will take what, 90+ minutes?

How long do you get in the Gym? 45mins, 30 mabe?

You can save your lunchtime for eating, as God intended, and extend your level of activity - sounds
like a bargain to me.

Tim.

"Peter Rollason" <[email protected]> writes:

> 2. Due to traffic - this is very stop start cycling - unlikley to get my HR high.

Urban cycling in traffic may not be the safest possible setting for doing interval training, but by
God it's fun.

-dan

--

http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources

"Peter Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I tend to only get on Sundays - doing round 50 miles - average speed 14-15 mph. (Road Bike).
>
> I was thinking of cycling to work (18 mile round trip) but was wondring
if
> this would help or hinder me:-
>
> 1. I would be using a older mountain bike for work - it doesn't have clipless pedalls - and I
> don't want them for cycling in traffic - I do
have
> vey small toe clips fitted
>
> 2. Due to traffic - this is very stop start cycling - unlikley to get my
HR
> high.

I commute 24 miles a day and it's a great way of getting miles under your wheels in "work's time".
I don't have to join an expensive gym, or find time to train and I clock up 5000 miles a year along
with leisure rides.

Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:

> I commute 24 miles a day and it's a great way of getting miles under your wheels in "work's
> time". I don't have to join an expensive gym, or find time to train and I clock up 5000 miles a
> year along with leisure rides.

Lets see, 5000/24 = .......*********** you get a lot of holidays ;-)

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

> Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I commute 24 miles a day and it's a great way of getting miles under
your
> > wheels in "work's time". I don't have to join an expensive gym, or find time to train and I
> > clock up 5000 miles a year along with leisure rides.
>
> Lets see, 5000/24 = .......*********** you get a lot of holidays ;-)

My speedo has just clocked up 2550 miles since OCT 02 and there's summer to come. I did 28
yesterday on my day off and I will do another 25 tonight because I'm doing 5 night shifts when I
use the car, so I have to compensate. It's more for weight control than fitness though.

Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I commute 24 miles a day and it's a great way of getting miles under
> your
> > > wheels in "work's time". I don't have to join an expensive gym, or
find
> > > time to train and I clock up 5000 miles a year along with leisure
rides.

> > Lets see, 5000/24 = .......*********** you get a lot of holidays ;-)
> >

> My speedo has just clocked up 2550 miles since OCT 02 and there's summer
> come. I did 28 yesterday on my day off and I will do another 25 tonight because I'm doing 5
> night shifts when I use the car, so I have to compensate. It's more for weight control than
> fitness though.

25mpd x 5dpw x 46 weeks = 5750m therefore you do a negative amount of leisure riding or you get 10+
weeks of leave in which you do no leisure riding, or you get more leave and do some leisure riding.

1 week in 3 (???) not riding for night shifts changes it all though.

"Andrew Sweetman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > your
> find
> rides.
> > >
> > > Lets see, 5000/24 = .......*********** you get a lot of holidays ;-)
> > >

> > My speedo has just clocked up 2550 miles since OCT 02 and there's
summer
> > come. I did 28 yesterday on my day off and I will do another 25 tonight because I'm doing 5
> > night shifts when I use the car, so I have to compensate. It's more for weight control than
> > fitness though.
> >

> 25mpd x 5dpw x 46 weeks = 5750m therefore you do a negative amount of leisure riding or you get
> 10+ weeks
of
> leave in which you do no leisure riding, or you get more leave and do some leisure riding.
>
> 1 week in 3 (???) not riding for night shifts changes it all though.

I am supposed to work 1750 hours a year at a nominal 7.5 hrs per day =
c. 233 days worked. Roughly 1/3 of these are night shifts when I use the car.

233 - 78 = 155 morning and afternoon shifts.155 x 24 = 3720 miles leaving 1280 miles for leisure
rides = 25 miles a week.