Compact chainsets

MartinM wrote:
> Arthur Clune wrote:
> > MartinM wrote:
> >
> > > May need to use the Audax bike for a rack (depends what Caradice the
> > > birthday fairy brings).

> > It's the Marmotte. Why on earth would you need a rack?

> only to get from the airport, will be stripping everything off at Bourg
> (rack, light brackets,liposuction) although the bus is an option.

<vision>Martin climbing alps with a swiss postbus tied to his
rack..</vision>

...d

David Martin wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> > Arthur Clune wrote:

> > > It's the Marmotte. Why on earth would you need a rack?

> > only to get from the airport, will be stripping everything off at Bourg
> > (rack, light brackets,liposuction) although the bus is an option.

> <vision>Martin climbing alps with a swiss postbus tied to his
> rack..</vision>

One year on the London-Brighton one bloke was riding one of those big
ice cream trikes (and I mean big) full of Ice Tea to hand out at the
end; he rode it up Ditchling Beacon, assisted by two outriders holding
a handlebar each and two others pushing from the back with their bikes
on top of the trike. He looked nearly as exhausted as me.

Been pondering (as I do) whilst riding the Audax bike today; I reckon
the best bet is to buy some new wheels (if I can get any with 7 speed
Shimano cassette hubs) for it and give it a serious service; it's not
much heavier than the Trek and will have all the gears I need.

MartinM wrote:
> Been pondering (as I do) whilst riding the Audax bike today; I reckon
> the best bet is to buy some new wheels (if I can get any with 7 speed
> Shimano cassette hubs) for it and give it a serious service; it's not
> much heavier than the Trek and will have all the gears I need.

Just buy 9 speed hubs and put a spacer behind the cassette. Can't remember
exactly what size spacer you need but I ran a wheel like this for ages

--
Arthur Clune

Arthur Clune wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> > Been pondering (as I do) whilst riding the Audax bike today; I reckon
> > the best bet is to buy some new wheels (if I can get any with 7 speed
> > Shimano cassette hubs) for it and give it a serious service; it's not
> > much heavier than the Trek and will have all the gears I need.

> Just buy 9 speed hubs and put a spacer behind the cassette. Can't remember
> exactly what size spacer you need but I ran a wheel like this for ages

Great; thanks; 9 speed wheels will definitely fit the frame, I can then
scour ebay for some cheap Tiagra shifters to complete the upgrade next
year. I see wiggle do a 7 speed freehub, would this be better?

MartinM wrote:

> Great; thanks; 9 speed wheels will definitely fit the frame, I can then
> scour ebay for some cheap Tiagra shifters to complete the upgrade next
> year. I see wiggle do a 7 speed freehub, would this be better?

Not if you want to upgrade to 9 speed later. Otherwise, it doesn't
really matter, though the newer 9 speed hubs are probably both lighter
and better.

--
Arthur Clune

Arthur Clune wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> >
> > Great; thanks; 9 speed wheels will definitely fit the frame, I can then
> > scour ebay for some cheap Tiagra shifters to complete the upgrade next
> > year. I see wiggle do a 7 speed freehub, would this be better?

> Not if you want to upgrade to 9 speed later. Otherwise, it doesn't
> really matter, though the newer 9 speed hubs are probably both lighter
> and better.

I could just swap wheels with my light bike (Mavic Reflex on RX100 8
speed) and put the 7 speed cassette on with a spacer (found one for
2.50) but I might as well re-wheel the Audax bike to give it another
couple of years life (the old rims and hubs are very worn). Ribble have
also got 105 9 speed shifters cheap. Decisions, decisions (all academic
as am stony ATM)

Arthur Clune wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> >
> > Great; thanks; 9 speed wheels will definitely fit the frame, I can then
> > scour ebay for some cheap Tiagra shifters to complete the upgrade next
> > year. I see wiggle do a 7 speed freehub, would this be better?

> Not if you want to upgrade to 9 speed later. Otherwise, it doesn't
> really matter, though the newer 9 speed hubs are probably both lighter
> and better.

thanks for the advice; have now ordered some new open pro wheels on 8
speed hubs, these will hopefully keep the bike going until after the
PBP. Presumably I can make a spacer out of the various scrap cassettes
I have lying about?