Compact crank & chain length

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by cal, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. cal

    cal Guest

    I am about to install a compact crank on a bike which has DA 9spd.
    I'm going from 53/39 and 12/27 to 50/34 and keeping the 12/27. How do
    I determine how much to shorten the chain?

    Thanks,
    Cal

    Tags:

  2. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    cal <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am about to install a compact crank on a bike which has DA 9spd.
    >I'm going from 53/39 and 12/27 to 50/34 and keeping the 12/27. How do
    >I determine how much to shorten the chain?

    You can safely remove one link - possibly two... though I'd suggest
    wrapping the chain around the 53/27 combo and pulling the ends
    together, leaving one more link than necessary to "barely close" the
    chain at maximum derailleur tension. You never know if the original
    builder got it right...

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  3. Gonzo Bob

    Gonzo Bob Guest

    Put on the 50x34. Shift to the 34/13 combo. If the rear der cage is
    wrapped up too much, remove one link. If it's still wrapped up too much,
    remove another.