Compact cranks - chainring source?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Alan Simmons, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. Alan Simmons

    Alan Simmons Guest

    I'm getting ready to convert a 9spd Dura Ace drivetrain to an FSA
    compact crank, and while the cranks are everywhere, no one seems to
    have the compatible 110BCD chainrings. Are replacement rings readily
    available?

    Also, does anyone have any idea if Shimano is going to produce a
    compact crank?

    Thanks,
    Alan

    Tags:

  2. eflayer2

    eflayer2 Guest

    aebike.com

    [email protected] (Alan Simmons) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm getting ready to convert a 9spd Dura Ace drivetrain to an FSA
    > compact crank, and while the cranks are everywhere, no one seems to
    > have the compatible 110BCD chainrings. Are replacement rings readily
    > available?
    >
    > Also, does anyone have any idea if Shimano is going to produce a
    > compact crank?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Alan

  3. akim-<< I'm getting ready to convert a 9spd Dura Ace drivetrain to an FSA
    compact crank, and while the cranks are everywhere, no one seems to
    have the compatible 110BCD chainrings. Are replacement rings readily >><BR><BR>

    No compact crank from shimano. 110mm BCD rings are easy, from me, Andy Muzi,
    Sheldon Brown. If yer LBS doesn't have them , can't find them, they are bein'
    lazy.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  4. richard

    richard Guest

    Part of the whole reason for 110 BCD! (What the $#*& was Campy
    "thinking" when they decided to come out with another bastard size?) I
    think Excel Sports carries Sugino up to 50-tooth.

    Out of curiosity, might Sugino make FSA's stuff?

    Alan Simmons wrote:
    > I'm getting ready to convert a 9spd Dura Ace drivetrain to an FSA
    > compact crank, and while the cranks are everywhere, no one seems to
    > have the compatible 110BCD chainrings. Are replacement rings readily
    > available?

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    richard wrote:

    > Part of the whole reason for 110 BCD! (What the $#*& was Campy
    > "thinking" when they decided to come out with another bastard size?) I
    > think Excel Sports carries Sugino up to 50-tooth.
    >
    > Out of curiosity, might Sugino make FSA's stuff?
    >
    > Alan Simmons wrote:
    >
    >> I'm getting ready to convert a 9spd Dura Ace drivetrain to an FSA
    >> compact crank, and while the cranks are everywhere, no one seems to
    >> have the compatible 110BCD chainrings. Are replacement rings readily
    >> available?

    Sugino 110 rings are readily availble 34t up to 56 teeth but
    only in a plain flat ring. We're often asked for a shaped,
    ramped or pinned 110 ring but Suginos seem to exist only in
    the sizes used on new cranksets. Fortunately there are
    seversl makers. Any LBS conversant with touring bikes will
    have a selection.
    FSA is a manufacturer. Sugino doesn't make their rings
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  6. rm-<< Part of the whole reason for 110 BCD! (What the $#*& was Campy
    "thinking" when they decided to come out with another bastard size?) >><BR><BR>

    they are 110mm, just with a hidden spider on all three cranks.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  7. rosco

    rosco Guest

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > rm-<< Part of the whole reason for 110 BCD! (What the $#*& was Campy
    > "thinking" when they decided to come out with another bastard size?)
    >><BR><BR>

    > they are 110mm, just with a hidden spider on all three cranks.
    >
    > Peter Chisholm
    > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    > 1833 Pearl St.
    > Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535
    > http://www.vecchios.com
    > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    So they are 110 BCD with no hidden tricks? TA chainrings would fit the
    Campy CT cranksets?

  8. rosco-<< So they are 110 BCD with no hidden tricks? TA chainrings would fit
    the
    Campy CT cranksets? >><BR><BR>

    Like you, I haven't seen them in person but Storino and the boys at Velonews
    say they are 110mm BCD.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  9. rosco-<< So they are 110 BCD with no hidden tricks? TA chainrings would fit
    the
    Campy CT cranksets? >><BR><BR>

    Like you, I haven't seen them in person but Storino and the boys at Velonews
    say they are 110mm BCD.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  10. bfd

    bfd Guest

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > rosco-<< So they are 110 BCD with no hidden tricks? TA chainrings would

    fit
    > the
    > Campy CT cranksets? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Like you, I haven't seen them in person but Storino and the boys at

    Velonews
    > say they are 110mm BCD.

    Where does velonews state that the new Campy compact ct crank has a 110bcd?
    Searching Velonews, I've only found 2 articles about Campy's compact crank:

    On April 28, 2004, Velonews published a press release, from Campy, about the
    compact crank, no mention of bcd:

    http://www.velonews.com/pr/prn/articles/5973.0.html

    More recently, on September 2, 2004, Velonews again published a blurb (sp?)
    about the compact ct crank and still no mention of bcd:

    http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/6888.0.html

    So, where does "Storino and the boys at Velonews say they are 110mm BCD"?

  11. talked to the boys at Velonews, thetre are in Boulder, come into the shop from
    time to time.

    Ya know, call Campagnolo-

    760-931-0106

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  12. talked to the boys at Velonews, thetre are in Boulder, come into the shop from
    time to time.

    Ya know, call Campagnolo-

    760-931-0106

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  13. Peter Chisolm says the CT chainrings will be 110. However, the Campy
    site says: "La guarnitura Campagnolo CT sarà prodotta nelle versioni
    Record, Chorus e Centaur e ogni versione sarà disponibile nelle
    dentature 34-48, 34-50, 36-50 con pedivelle da 170, 172,5 e 175 mm.
    Gli ingranaggi sono specifici per guarnitura Campagnolo CT e non sono
    compatibili con altre guarniture."

    The Italian is easy enough to understand. That the chainrings are
    "non sono compatibili" with other cranks seems to suggest that they
    are a non-standard size. Maybe Campy is only talking about other
    Campy 135 cranks. Who knows.

    Cyclingnews.com reported back in April: "However, Campagnolo's CT
    cranks aren't 110mm. Campagnolo wanted to change the design of its
    carbon crank as little as possible, so the bolt placement on the crank
    arm is in a different position from the other four, which means only
    Campagnolo's own rings will fit."

    Hey, I hope they're standard 110, but there's some info. to the
    contrary. We'll see soon enough. When is the release date?

    Peter Wilborn

  14. Peter-<< Peter Chisolm says the CT chainrings will be 110. However, the Campy
    site says: "La guarnitura Campagnolo CT sarà prodotta nelle versioni >><BR><BR>
    << The Italian is easy enough to understand. That the chainrings are
    "non sono compatibili" >><BR><BR>

    Ok, ok...finally a call to campagnolo USA and they had the sanswer.' The carbon
    compacts fron Campagnolo are NOT, repeat, NOT 110mm BCD. When I asked what they
    were, Dave at Campagnolo, USA said they were 'larger' but did not have the
    exact measurement.

    Sorry for my mis statament previously, but garbage in, garbage out.

    NOW, lets get back to 'bush and his crashes'!!!!

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  15. Tesla*

    Tesla* New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2003
    Isn't proprietary technology the sort of thing you usually criticize Shimano about?..:)

  16. rosco

    rosco Guest

    "Tesla*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Qui si parla Campagnolo Wrote:
    > > Peter-<< Peter Chisolm says the CT chainrings will be 110. However, the
    > > Campy
    > > site says: "La guarnitura Campagnolo CT sarà prodotta nelle versioni

    > > << The Italian is easy enough to understand. That the chainrings are
    > > "non sono compatibili" >><BR><BR>
    > >
    > > Ok, ok...finally a call to campagnolo USA and they had the sanswer.'
    > > The carbon
    > > compacts fron Campagnolo are NOT, repeat, NOT 110mm BCD. When I asked
    > > what they
    > > were, Dave at Campagnolo, USA said they were 'larger' but did not have
    > > the
    > > exact measurement.
    > >
    > > Sorry for my mis statament previously, but garbage in, garbage out.
    > >
    > > NOW, lets get back to 'bush and his crashes'!!!!
    > >
    > > Peter Chisholm
    > > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    > > 1833 Pearl St.
    > > Boulder, CO, 80302
    > > (303)440-3535
    > > http://www.vecchios.com
    > > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    > Isn't proprietary technology the sort of thing you usually criticize
    > Shimano about?..:)
    >

    > --
    > Tesla*

    This news is going to make me shy away from this crankset. The TA or FSA
    cranksets are sounding like a better way to go. You can just predict that
    in 10 years when bicycling fashion moves away from compact cranks that
    replacement Campy chainrings may be tough to find.

  17. Tesla-<< Isn't proprietary technology the sort of thing you usually criticize
    Shimano about?..:) >><BR><BR>

    yep and I never said it was a good idea. I don't like the 130 vs 135mm hoopla
    and I'm not thrilled about 112mm BCD either BUT at least Campagnolo is
    'listening' and will have these, and hopefully aluminum versions of these
    cranks as well.

    shimano and DA 10s still has no triple..no compact..I guess DA is only for
    sponsored racers, not us .5 of a century and .1 offa ton riders.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  18. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 04:08:09 GMT, "rosco"
    <reverse-the-following"ocsor_g"@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >This news is going to make me shy away from this crankset. The TA or FSA
    >cranksets are sounding like a better way to go. You can just predict that
    >in 10 years when bicycling fashion moves away from compact cranks that
    >replacement Campy chainrings may be tough to find.

    I'm a big Campy fan but I have to agree with you. There are plenty of
    110 bolt pattern rings available. I also think that an ISIS bottom
    bracket will be much more of a standard than the Campy ISO, square
    taper.