Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Compact cranks? I just don't get it!!!

Started by yzfrr11 · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,183 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
15 November 2004
Last activity
15 November 2004
Original author
yzfrr11
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,183
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Compact cranks? I just don't get it!!!
    What is with all the hype about compact cranks? Maybe for mountain stages in place of a triple, but other than that, only for tourists. You gotta have a 53x11 if you want to race. You'll never catch a pro with a compact crank - that's for sure!

  2. yzfrr11 said:

    Compact cranks? I just don't get it!!!
    What is with all the hype about compact cranks? Maybe for mountain stages in place of a triple, but other than that, only for tourists. You gotta have a 53x11 if you want to race. You'll never catch a pro with a compact crank - that's for sure!

    I guess, if you're not a pro it doesn't matter then . Does it??
    🙄

  3. yzfrr11 said:

    Compact cranks? I just don't get it!!!
    What is with all the hype about compact cranks? Maybe for mountain stages in place of a triple, but other than that, only for tourists. You gotta have a 53x11 if you want to race. You'll never catch a pro with a compact crank - that's for sure!

    fist off, let me say, "you are full of [censored]."

    there's only two possible reasons for you to say something like your comment on compact cranks. 1. you're trying to start a controversy, or 2. you're about 20 years old and stupid.

    tyler hamilton won a tour stage with csc on compact cranks, although it was the 52/36 setup. so pros do use them. I have a friend who's a former 8 time national champion who rides compact cranks. do you have 8 national championships?

    a 53/11 (126 gear-inches) combo at 84 rpm puts you at 32 mph. at 90 rpm, you're going 34.25 mph. how long can you hold 34.25 mph? what pro team do you ride for? I know! you must be michael rogers, the wold tt champ, who had an off day at this year's world championship because you only rode 30.5 mph there.

    most folk don't need a 53/12 unless they're going downhill, much less a 53/11.

  4. I have done a little research into compact cranks. Attached is a chart showing gear inches for most set-ups.

    Judge for yourself.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.