Compact Crankset with Campy 10sp

news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:40:20 -0800, bfd wrote:
>
> > Alternatively, if you really need a 110bcd double crank, one way is to look for an older Shimano
> > RSX crank. I recently bought a NOS one from a LBS with 46/36 rings for $30.
>
> Even better, I got an STX crank for $2 or so. OK, cheap stuff, but if you toss the rings (this is
> a 94mm crank hanging a 58mm granny off of the inner ring like a tripleizer of olden days) what
> you have is a perfectly usable 94mm double crank. The rings are ****, but those are service
> items, anyway.

Good deal, the only problem is unless you have a source for *cheap* chainrings, the rings along can
be very expensive.....

> > Even better, I got an STX crank for $2 or so. OK, cheap stuff, but if you toss the rings (this
> > is a 94mm crank hanging a 58mm granny off of the inner ring like a tripleizer of olden days)
> > what you have is a perfectly usable 94mm double crank. The rings are ****, but those are service
> > items, anyway.
> >
> Good deal, the only problem is unless you have a source for *cheap* chainrings, the rings along
> can be very expensive.....

Nashbar usually has very low cost, but still decent quality, chainrings in a variety of sizes. I
have some from Nashbar that were made by Stronglight. But you are still talking about $30 to replace
the two large rings on a crankset. For the people who talk about buying cranks and then replacing
them with $50 TA rings, its almost nonsensical. I advise trying like crazy to get your new crank
with the chainrings you really want to save a considerable amount of money.