Compact Drive front derailleur with standard crank?

Robert Canon

Guest
I looked at the FAQ and did a web search... Surprisingly little info on what must be a common
question/situation. Any thoughts on using a CD front derailleur with a standard crank? Maybe grind
the cage a little at the back of the outer plate?

"Robert Canon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I looked at the FAQ and did a web search... Surprisingly little info on what must be a common
> question/situation. Any thoughts on using a CD front derailleur with a standard crank? Maybe grind
> the cage a little at the back of the outer plate?

You *might* be able to do that, but the "compact" front derailleurs that I have have very little
material at the back corner of the cage. I think you'll end up grinding through the cage completely.

I don't understand why you would want to do this. Why can't you use a "standard" front derailleur?

Jeff

Works fine for me with 48-36-24 chainrings on a tourer. Don't believe the gospel according to
Shimano...

Nick

"Robert Canon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I looked at the FAQ and did a web search... Surprisingly little info on what must be a common
> question/situation. Any thoughts on using a CD
front
> derailleur with a standard crank? Maybe grind the cage a little at the
back
> of the outer plate?

> I don't understand why you would want to do this. Why can't you use a "standard" front derailleur?

I ran across a funky old compact billet der. that I want to put on my funky old friction shifting
touring bike with standard MTB crank/rings.