Compact frames and crank arm length

needhelp

Mar 29, 2005
Hi, I have a question.

I am arond 6'5" but only 85kg to 90kg, I was talking to a friend and they said that if I was after a new bike that I should stay away from compact frames because of my height. They also said that I MUST get the longest crank arms I possibly could.

Is there any truth to this or is it just nonsense?

I have only been riding for around 4 months at the moment but I really enjoy it and plan on sticking with it, so any input would be great.

Also are there any brands of jerseys that are longer in the body than normal as it seems that a Euro xxxl is too short and from the emails I have received even a Euro size 4xl will still be too short!

Thanks.

needhelp said:
Hi, I have a question.

I am arond 6'5" but only 85kg to 90kg, I was talking to a friend and they said that if I was after a new bike that I should stay away from compact frames because of my height. They also said that I MUST get the longest crank arms I possibly could.

I have only been riding for around 4 months at the moment but I really enjoy it and plan on sticking with it, so any input would be great.

Also are there any brands of jerseys that are longer in the body than normal as it seems that a Euro xxxl is too short and from the emails I have received even a Euro size 4xl will still be too short!

Thanks.
If you can find a compact that fits, why not?? You would be a candidate for longer crankarms,but nothing is absolute.

needhelp said:
Hi, I have a question.

For example, a Giant TCR, size XL, sounds like it might be a good fit, and it comes with 175 mm cranks already. If you're really fussy, you could insist on 177.5 mm cranks, but those are very hard to come by.

You might have to swap the handlebar stem.

the Compact frames might force you to use stems that are extremely long. I'd imagine a normal frame would fit you better. the taller "compact" frames have level'er top tubes but still, it's going to be a reach.

re: cranks I'm much more sure about.

two friends both 6'2.5" both use 180's with good effect. both had good speed (for local racing anyway) and one managed to womp everyone on the local big group ride which included some 7-Up pros and local Cat 1 hotshots (Gimbles for all you NY'ers).

Leonard Zinn (a tall bike techie guy associated with VeloNews) would say long cranks are good for you. He's like basketball player tall. he claims that Indurain, not the tallest guy in the world, used 190 (!) mm cranks in the Tour.

I'm 5'7" and had the most successful season of local racing I've had in a while and I switched to 175's a couple years ago (starting an upward trend). I also have really short legs for my height :( Having raced for 23 years now, and used 165's, 167.5's, 170's, and 175's, I like the 175's the best for all around racing. I might be lacking a few % in the sprint and am debating 172.5's.

unless you have some limitation in your joints, I think a 180mm crank would be good.

hope this helps.

needhelp said:
Hi, I have a question.

Thanks.

I´m 6´5" and 92 kg. Here´s my Scott in size XXL mounted with a 177,5 mm crankset which fits me perfectly.Sorry for the picture quality not easy to fit the size demands. Compact or traditional does not matter what matters is that it fits you. Get a proffesional fitting before you buy a bike.

Nothing special about a compact frame at all; just that the top tube slopes. The fit will be identical to a standard frame with the same "virtual seat tube" and "virtual top tube" dimensions. Just make sure you get the fit you need, regardless of whether the top tube slopes or is horizontal.

carpediemracing said:
the Compact frames might force you to use stems that are extremely long. I'd imagine a normal frame would fit you better. the taller "compact" frames have level'er top tubes but still, it's going to be a reach.
That's nonsense. It's about TT length...nothing more.

I just got a giant compact frame and the effective top tube is actually longer then my standard geometry bike allowing me to use a shorter stem, I've got a long torso and it ended up being a better fit. so it's all about the fit.

I'd recommend 180s for you, BUT, if you have huge feet, and/or your toes point out a bit when you ride (therefore, heels in), you've just gotta check that your heels won't be hitting the chainstays or the rear derailleur. There's also a chance that your toes could hit the front wheel, but this is less crucial, as it would only be during sharp turns whilst pedaling